MacKinnon hired to coach St. Charles

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
http://www.thisweeksports.com/live/...es-hires-MacKinnon-as-golf-coach.html?sid=104

MacKinnon hired to coach St. Charles
ShareThis
Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:38 AM
By SCOTT HENNEN
ThisWeekSPORTS.com

The two-time defending Division I state golf champions have a new coach.

St. Charles Preparatory School has hired Andy MacKinnon to lead the Cardinals in their quest for a third consecutive state title.

MacKinnon is a 1994 graduate of St. Charles and played golf with the program. He graduated from Franklin University in 1999 and owns an insurance agency.

He had been an assistant coach with the Cardinals.

"When (former coach) Anthony (Mampieri) decided that he was leaving, he approached me to see if I was interested in the position," MacKinnon said. "Even with back-to-back state titles, we have three (juniors) coming back from last year, so the cupboard is far from bare."

St. Charles not only won its second consecutive state title last fall at Ohio State's Scarlet Course, but set the course record for the Division I tournament. The Cardinals had a two-day total of 610, 11 strokes better than runner-up Cleveland St. Ignatius. The score broke the record of 611 set by Upper Arlington in 1993 and St. Ignatius in 2002.

Expected back from that team are juniors Austin Cuervo, Matt Moosavian and Nate Yankovich.

Cuervo had the low 18-hole average for the Cardinals with a 74.5. Yankovich (75.5) was third and Moosavian (76.75) was fifth.

"It's a chance for me to be a part of two things that I love - St. Charles and golf," MacKinnon said. "It's something I'm really looking forward to doing."