MAC Basketball 2022-2023

End of regulation.
Took me awhile to find the game. Youtube has the whole thing now.

In the bigger picture, it made the game a classic. Seriously, needing to make three free throws to tie the game with virtually no time left? And the Kent fans got what they wanted in the end, winning in OT down a key player. As for the call, the foul was low and plain as day and the ref in a clear side view. As for the play after the free throws, Carry should have gotten called for the blatant high shove he gave Trebble. Kent has no complaint here. Akron probably does but they gave up a solid lead and still had a chance in OT.

As for the call, the foul was low and plain as day and the ref in a clear side view.
Are you basing that opinion on the ESPN video of the game? I hope you have a different view that shows it "plain as day" because the ESPN camera wasn't even close to showing whether there was contact or not.

The KSU video at the game from the opposite baseline (zoomed in) showed no contact. Only saw it once at the game but it was pretty clear there was no foul.

Are you basing that opinion on the ESPN video of the game? I hope you have a different view that shows it "plain as day" because the ESPN camera wasn't even close to showing whether there was contact or not.

The KSU video at the game from the opposite baseline (zoomed in) showed no contact. Only saw it once at the game but it was pretty clear there was no foul.

Got that one posted somewhere? It's worth a look. I don't see anything controversial. He hit him. It's there, honest. :D

Whatever happened there, the ref was convinced. Called it before the ball left the hand.

Do you dispute Carry got away with one on the inbounds?

Last edited:
Got that one posted somewhere? It's worth a look. I don't see anything controversial. He hit him low. It's there, honest. :D

Do you dispute Carry got away with one on the inbounds?
Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone can say one way or the other whether he hit him based on the ESPN video.

Not sure what KSU does with their videos but it was a much better angle and didn't appear to show contact. With only one quick view, it's tough to say but there is no doubt that it was a controversial call.

Carry absolutely got away with that one. It would be interesting to find out if the officials overlooked it because they knew they blew the 3-point call. Of course, don't make the bad call at such a crucial point in the game and that push-off is irrelevant.

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone can say one way or the other whether he hit him based on the ESPN video.

Not sure what KSU does with their videos but it was a much better angle and didn't appear to show contact. With only one quick view, it's tough to say but there is no doubt that it was a controversial call.

Carry absolutely got away with that one. It would be interesting to find out if the officials overlooked it because they knew they blew the 3-point call. Of course, don't make the bad call at such a crucial point in the game and that push-off is irrelevant.
overlooking an unnecessary foul makes no sense, let alone what was obviously an intentional one. No, I think it just wasn't called without a whole lot of thinking behind it. If that non-call gives Kent fans an emotional reason to believe the refs knew the other call was wrong? They shouldn't need it after a win but let them have it.

Teasing aside, the only definite in the low quality ESPN vid I saw is that the ref was certainly convinced, made the call before the ball left the hand. Were those Kent St announcers? They made the game near intolerable to watch. We get much less intrusive on Toledo/ESPN broadcasts.

Game 1: 11:00 AM ET (ESPN+)
NO. 1 TOLEDO won both 81-78 @ miami, 89-71
NO. 8 MIAMI

Game 2: 30 min following Game 1 (ESPN+)
NO. 4 BALL STATE Lost @ Ohio 76-71
NO. 5 OHIO

Game 3: 30 min following Game 2 (ESPN+)
NO. 2 KENT STATE Lost @NIU 86-76
NO. 7 NORTHERN ILLINOIS

Game 4: 30 min following Game 3 (ESPN+)
NO. 3 AKRON won both 81-64 @ buffalo, 86-66
NO. 6 BUFFALO

Reading the turdfest in the OSU thead, smh. MAC ball has been more enjoyable than B10.

Top three seem all to have the same chance of winning. Ball St is down their pg. That's a tough recover even with Sparks.

Any from the bottom four have a chance?

2022-23 MAC Men’s Basketball Postseason Awards
Coach of the Year:
Tod Kowalczyk, Toledo
Player of the Year: RayJ Dennis, Toledo *unanimous selection*
Freshman of the Year: Reggie Bass, Central Michigan
Defensive Player of the Year: Malique Jacobs, Kent State
Sixth Man of the Year: Jalen Sullinger, Kent State

All-MAC First Team
Xavier Castaneda, Sr., G, Akron
Enrique Freeman, Jr., F, Akron
Sincere Carry, R-Sr., G, Kent State
RayJ Dennis, Jr., G, Toledo
JT Shumate, Sr., F, Toledo

All-MAC Second Team
Payton Sparks, So., C, Ball State
Jarron Coleman, R-Jr., G, Ball State
Malique Jacobs, R-Sr., G, Kent State
Setric Millner Jr., Sr., F, Toledo
Dwight Wilson III, Grad., F, Ohio

All-MAC Third Team
Jaylin Sellers, So., G, Ball State
Curtis Jones, So., G, Buffalo
Emoni Bates, So., F, Eastern Michigan
Mekhi Lairy, 5th, G, Miami
David Coit, So., G, Northern Illinois

Honorable Mention
Leon Ayers III, Sr., G, Bowling Green
Anderson Mirambeaux, Sr., F, Miami
Kaleb Thornton, Sr., G, Northern Illinois
Jaylin Hunter, Jr., G, Ohio
Lamar Norman Jr., Sr., G, Western Michigan

All-Freshman Team
Reggie Bass, Central Michigan, G
Ryan Mabrey, Miami, G
AJ Brown, Ohio, G
Elmore James, Ohio, G
Seth Hubbard, Western Michigan, G

All-Defensive Team
Enrique Freeman, Jr., F, Akron
Greg Tribble, Jr., G, Akron
Demarius Jacobs, Sr., G, Ball State
Malique Jacobs, R-Sr., G, Kent State
Sincere Carry, R-Sr., G, Kent State

How did Carry get on the defensive team? Jacobs, absolutely. Two? Kent (and every other team) got torched by guards. Except maybe Jacobs and Toledo's Moss who generally was guarding forwards, the other three spots should have been of the bigger player variety.

I don't see upset potential in this tournament like years past, but of course it looks that way every year heading in. I do like Ohio's odds against Ball State. Ball State hasn't been playing well of late.

Toledo apparently had an injury amongst the starters in today's Miami game. Already a thin ball-club.

Ohio is CRUSHING Ball St. AJ Brown showing his potential.

AJ Brown would've likely been freshman of the year without an injury. Fellow freshman Elmore James looked great as well. These two get better every minute on the court.

Should be a great atmosphere tomorrow with potentially Ohio v Toledo and Akron v Kent for the semis. Cannot ask for better matchups from a crowd standpoint

OU Is certainly growing up at the perfect time. Brown and James are real players. Bass stole FOY by averaging 26 in the last 5 games after an otherwise unspectacular season.

The MAC openers were awful and a sign of just how bad the bottom of the league has become. Buffalo was atrocious.

Well, we get the best two teams in the MAC final. I think Toledo is the better team but they don't exactly have a great history in the MAC tournament.

Well, we get the best two teams in the MAC final. I think Toledo is the better team but they don't exactly have a great history in the MAC tournament.

Kent controlled the flow and the paint in the one game played. Toledo is down a solid guard from that game, Cochran gave up the season on a turf toe that wouldn't heal. Though a guard, he was strong and gave us a presense in the paint. We're hoping the talls on the bench have developed enough to not be a liability when they're in. We also need a couple guys to break a shooting slump.

Yappi been quiet since that end of season Akron game in which Kent got jobbed at end of regulation. Maybe protecting the blood pressure.

That had to be a frustrating end for the Toledo fans. I don't think they had a 3 pass possession in the last 12 minutes. It was like they panicked and decided to go one on one every possession.

Curious to see where they seed Kent and where they send them. I'm betting on a 12 or 13 all of the way across the country.

Curious to see where they seed Kent and where they send them. I'm betting on a 12 or 13 all of the way across the country.
13th and fairly local but against a B12 with similar style and metrics. Kent is dangerous but might not get a match-up they can leverage against higher ranked players.

Last edited:
That had to be a frustrating end for the Toledo fans. I don't think they had a 3 pass possession in the last 12 minutes. It was like they panicked and decided to go one on one every possession.
They'd switched to this increasingly the last 5-8 games. It was like they were trying to add a component to their game. Fault goes on the coach, as he has refused to develop his bigs. With the injury to Cochran, they have zero space eaters. Even he was only 6'1" but wide and strong and could leverage space in the paint against taller and bigger players.

Kent pushed them around first game, physically just punching and elbowing into the chest, off the ball, particulalry against Shumate, an undersized, playing outside his natural skill set position post. Refs did not make the calls. Did it also last night. It's again on the coach for not putting the refs minds on it. On a player by player match-up, Kent is not the match of Toledo. But they have better talent balance and better defensive scheme.

Superior job all around by Kent's coach.

They'd switched to this increasingly the last 5-8 games. It was like they were trying to add a component to their game. Fault goes on the coach, as he has refused to develop his bigs. With the injury to Cochran, they have zero space eaters. Even he was only 6'1" but wide and strong and could leverage space in the paint against taller and bigger players.

Kent pushed them around first game, physically just punching and elbowing into the chest, off the ball, particulalry against Shumate, an undersized, playing outside his natural skill set position post. Refs did not make the calls. Did it also last night. It's again on the coach for not putting the refs minds on it. On a player by player match-up, Kent is not the match of Toledo. But they have better talent balance and better defensive scheme.

Superior job all around by Kent's coach.
Kent was shooting better than Toledo. But they outscored Toledo 44 - 26 in the paint. Toledo did a really poor job switching on D.

Kent was shooting better than Toledo. But they outscored Toledo 44 - 26 in the paint. Toledo did a really poor job switching on D.
Shooting better or getting open looks? It was open looks. Dennis started a bit slow for Dennis. Other than that, nothing that wouldn't be accounted for the Kent's Defense.

Shooting better or getting open looks? It was open looks. Dennis started a bit slow for Dennis. Other than that, nothing that wouldn't be accounted for the Kent's Defense.
Kent shot a better percentage on 2 pointers and on 3 pointers than Toledo. Toledo didn't do a good job of switching on D which resulted in Kent getting more open shots. Are we stating the same thing?

Kent shot a better percentage on 2 pointers and on 3 pointers than Toledo. Toledo didn't do a good job of switching on D which resulted in Kent getting more open shots. Are we stating the same thing?
Yes. I think so as far as Kent is concerned. Toledo actually played their game on D. Which of course is a failed plan. The coach doesn't seem to realize that good guards can find open guys with their eyes closed, literally. Offenses are designed that way. But he collapses on the ball anyhow, even if it means leaving half a court undefended.

If you compare the box scores for Toledo of the two games, you'll see some remarkably similar 3-pt stats regards Moss and Dennis. There weren't covered, not in either game. Reasonably open shots after reasonably good passes. No coach told them to stop heaving and switch to the mid-game.

Wow
IDK, every indication (which has been few) I get from Dakich is he's a completely different person with a microphone in front of him. Perfect gentlemen, a very nice person without. Very accomodating. I think he's a little upset by this subject, lol.