MAC 2020

Sounds like Ohio is going to be missing player(s) tonight from COVID. Will be another week before everyone is back. Hard to know what to expect tonight without knowing who is out.

there should be an investigation! lol.

Secret to beating Akron? Suck. Be the worst teams in the league. Play without your best player. Just suck. Suckity suck.

Toledo got pealed by Ball St and has them last game of the season. WMU gave Toledo a good game too and they're next.

Buffs play Ohio, Akron and Kent so they'll certainly have chance to state their case for a bye.

Toledo got pealed by Ball St and has them last game of the season. WMU gave Toledo a good game too and they're next.

Buffs play Ohio, Akron and Kent so they'll certainly have chance to state their case for a bye.

No byes this year as only 8 are advancing to the tournament. The only way there are byes is if they have less than 8 available to play.

Hadn't realized that until I saw the seeding after posting. Now I understand why the Toledo board was concerned with Akron's loss. OU currently 8th and they are the most dangerous team. They have more parts if all are healthy.

Looking at remaining schedules, I think Miami will drop below OU.

Is seeding based on wins or win percentage? Ohio looked good again today in their win over EMU. 3 remaining games are: Buffalo @Kent @BG

It’ll be interesting to see how this tournament plays out with no byes and limited to the Top 8. Those top 4 spots were a huge deal in past years. I wonder if this’ll make a 5-8 champion more likely

Ball St has two wins over top four, late in the season
Miami has no wins over top four.
BG has two wins over top four.
Buffs have no wins over top four, with Ohio, Akron and Kent still on the schedule.

Most common victim has been.... Toledo.

The bottom four has one win over the middle four and two wins over the top four. So if there had been a play-in, upset not seeming in the cards this year. Top 8 are just match-ups away from each other. Draw the wrong team and you're screwed in the first round. Bottom four are pretty far down I think.

Last edited:
As I recall, it will be win percentage. Tiebreaker is then head to head then win percentage against seeded teams.

I think they should just excise NIU and the Michigan directionals (permanently).

As I recall, it will be win percentage. Tiebreaker is then head to head then win percentage against seeded teams.

I think they should just excise NIU and the Michigan directionals (permanently).

I didn’t realize how big of a gap there was between the 8th and 9th spots already. I’d be shocked if any of those bottom four teams could catch Ball State. 3-7 spots could shuffle quite a bit still

06F91E6B-DC0D-43D9-B53E-BE1A890A3984.png

...and with that the Bobcats get thumped. What a weird damn year.
Complete opposite of the last two games for Ohio. Tons of turnovers and shot horribly behind the arc. I think (?) Akron is slightly ahead of Buffalo now for the #2 seed but I’m not sure.

This season is proving interesting at least

Pick one of the eight that you are positively positive could not win this tournament?

Good luck.
Good call. You could make an argument for and against any of the eight winning the tournament.

I think if Toledo stays healthy they're the team to beat.

It seems like every time a team gets rolling this year they take a quick step backwards.

Akron hasn't been worth a damn since halftime of the Kent game. They throttled Kent in the first half, went into the locker room and haven't been the same since. Offense has gone stagnant and the defense, which has been their calling card, has gone in the toilet.

quoting myself from another board.

Of the top 8

We've (Toledo) lost to 3, including 2 in the bottom 4.
Akron has lost to 3, 1 in the bottom
Kent has lost to 3, UT and Akron twice, 1 in the bottom
Buffs lost to 5, twice to BG
Ohio has lost to 5, again BG pops up
BG has lost to 4, Kent twice and only 1 in the bottom
Miami has lost to 6 but has beaten the spoilers, Ball St and BG
Ball St has beaten Kent, BG and Toledo handedly.

Ohio @ Kent cancelled... Another positive test for Ohio. We are right on the border of missing the MAC Tournament because of this...

Covid clinches the Mac Regular Season Championship for UT. If OU drops, WMU moves into 8 and fairly dramatically changes UT's path to favorable. Right now, first seed is looking more dangerous than 2nd seed but if Ball St gets replaced by WMU...

Apparently Ohio and Kent could’ve played but they decided against it out of caution. Ohio plans to play against BG on Friday. Odd circumstances but that’s the norm for this season.

Thursday, March 11th, 2021 - Quarterfinals
Game 1:
No. 1 Toledo vs. No. 8 Ball State, 11 a.m. ET (ESPN+)
Game 2: No. 4 Kent State vs. No. 5 Ohio, Time TBA* (ESPN+)
Game 3: No. 2 Buffalo vs. No. 7 Miami, Time TBA* (ESPN+)
Game 4: No. 3 Akron vs. No. 6 Bowling Green, Time TBA* (ESPN+)

Akron now has Covid but so far no major contributors. The way they've been playing and the way BG has come around, they could be one and done.

Marreon wins player of the year. I guess he gets the nod for taking the regular season championship.

2020-21 MAC Men's Basketball Postseason Awards
Coach of the Year:
Tod Kowalczyk, Toledo
Player of the Year: Marreon Jackson, Sr., G, Toledo
Freshman of the Year: Ryan Rollins, G, Toledo
Defensive Player of the Year: Josh Mballa, Jr., F, Buffalo
Sixth Man of the Year: Trey Diggs, Sr., G/F, Bowling Green

All-MAC First Team
Loren Cristian Jackson, Sr., G, Akron
Justin Turner, Gr., G, Bowling Green
Danny Pippen, Sr., F, Kent State
Jason Preston, Jr., G, Ohio
Marreon Jackson, Sr., G, Toledo

All-MAC Second Team
Ishmael El-Amin, Sr., G, Ball State
Josh Mballa, Jr., F, Buffalo
Jeenathan Williams, Jr., F, Buffalo
Jayvon Graves, Sr., G, Buffalo
Spencer Littleson, Sr., G, Toledo

All-MAC Third Team
Daeqwon Plowden, Sr., G/F, Bowling Green
Michael Nuga, Sr., G, Kent State
Dae Dae Grant, So., G, Miami
Ben Vander Plas, R-Jr., F, Ohio
Dwight Wilson III, Sr., F, Ohio

Honorable Mention
Bryan Trimble Jr., Jr., G, Akron
K.J. Walton, Gr., G, Ball State
Ryan Rollins, Fr., G, Toledo
B. Artis White, So., G, Western Michigan
Greg Lee, Sr., F, Western Michigan

All-Freshman Team
Josiah Fulcher, G, Bowling Green
Kaden Matheny, G, Bowling Green
Aundre Polk, F, Central Michigan
Mark Sears, G, Ohio
Ryan Rollins, G, Toledo

All-Defensive Team
Enrique Freeman, So., F, Akron
Josh Mballa, Jr., F, Buffalo
Malique Jacobs, Jr., G, Kent State
Lunden McDay, So., G, Ohio
Spencer Littleson, Sr., G, Toledo

League needs to recruit some centers or something.

Marreon wins player of the year. I guess he gets the nod for taking the regular season championship.

Might be a little more to it than that.
From the Toledo Board: MJ - Only player in nation averaging 17ppg, 6rpg. & 6apg. 1 of only 3 players in nation with 2 or more triple-doubles. He also has six double-doubles in last nine games. I believe his 92% FT has him top ten. Of the first team, only Turner has a lower TO rate and none match his steals per game. Those are rates, not totals and he kept the numbers high playing 3-7 more games. I enjoy watching LCJ all-day but there really wasn't much doubt this year for POY IMO.

Same for Rollins FOY, who got time early where other teams were a bit slower getting their Freshman into the rotation. It's an impressive Freshman team don't you think?

A good case could be made for Littleson on first. All-Defensive while shooting most 3's in the nation at the second highest rate. Don't see that combinatin everyday.

I am not looking forward to seeing Ball St in the first round. They got some match-ups on Toledo.