Lost National Champion Found

Lancermania

Lancers lead the way!
I stumbled upon this by accident tonight 7/6/2018 at 10:00 p.m. I'm still stunned by it all and was absolutely shaking for some minutes. I overlooked this for some four years. "He once was lost but now he's found"

North College Hill's Ferronte' Bartlett went 47'02" with a wind reading of +0.0 to win a national championship in Des Moines, Iowa at the National AAU Junior Olympics at Drake University in the triple jump in July 2014. As expected this mark absolutely blasted the city record I had for this event of Princeton's Reggie Mills 45'00¼" from 1994.

Last edited:

I stumbled upon this by accident tonight 7/6/2018 at 10:00 p.m. I'm still stunned by it all and was absolutely shaking for some minutes. I overlooked this for some four years. "He once was lost but now he's found"

North College Hill's Ferronte' Bartlett went 47'02" with a wind reading of +0.0 to win a national championship in Des Moines, Iowa at the National AAU Junior Olympics at Drake University in the triple jump in early August 2014. As expected this mark absolutely blasted the city record I had for this event of Princeton's Reggie Mills from 1994.

MOST EXCELLENT! Ever since Milan Tiff's 49' 11" jump almost 50 years ago, Ohio has absolutely been behind the rest of the US in triple jumpers. Congrats on your find!

I'm curious as to what field event coaches think he should be able to do in the long jump to hit 47' in the triple jump.

I'm curious as to what field event coaches think he should be able to do in the long jump to hit 47' in the triple jump.

Depends how coordinated he is. A typical 22' long jumper should be able to triple in the 46-48' range. Most beginners have horrific STEP phases, which means they are almost non-existent, and step phases are frequently severely hindered because the initial phase, the HOP, is typically performed at too high a take-off angle. The best triple jumpers learn to minimize horizontal speed loss be "skipping" over the ground and utilizing their arms to provide additional thrust against the ground at each support phase.

Congratulations to this young man in his win and excellent jump.

The triple jump for 17-18 year old boys took place in Session 3 on July 28, 2014. The entire meet lasted for 8 days from July 26 to August 2.

A check of DII North College Hill school records shows Ferronte Bartlett with the record in both the long jump (22'07.25") and triple jump (47'02").

Last edited:
I called NCH and Bartlett did indeed graduate from there in 2014. I'd like to know who coached him in the summer. I bet Jim Engel, long time coach at CAPE, Taft, and now St. Xavier would know since he has a club team in Cincinnati in the summer.

Detective Lancermania is deep into the hunt searching for a picture of our city record holder in the triple jump. North College Hill high school does not have anyone there who can help me now as they are on summer break. Jim Engel of the Cincinnati All Stars referred me to a club in Cincinnati called the Bond Hill Flyers. I just talked to their head coach Greg Johnson who tells me Ferronte was a member of his club every summer since he was eight years old. He will get me a picture and call me back. I won't quit until I get a photo of Ferronte for the Cincinnati City Records file. As JAVMAN83 once told me, you have to be relentless to accomplish anything worthwhile.

Last edited: