Losing streaks?

I know the above list came from the OHSAA website but I have always had a bit of an issue with this list as it is titled. The category is listed as Consecutive Losses however Youngstown North did not lose 64 consecutive games. They did have a 64-game winless streak but two ties are included in those 64 games. It may be a subtle difference but for me a consecutive loss streak should end with a tie or victory. They obviously counted the two ties in the total games played during the streak so why is it listed as 64 consecutive losses? Even if the two ties were not counted as games played it would span a total of 62 games not 64. The Bulldogs lost 20 in a row, had a tie, lost 25, had a tie, lost 17 and then finally got a win. Now if the category is changed to Consecutive Winless Games then North would be correct.

IMO as the category is listed Richmond Hts. holds the record with 55 consecutive losses.

Before the IVC’s Jewett-Scio merged into Harrison Central in 1999, Jewett-Scio also had a 42-game winless streak that included one tie in 1981. The streak began at the start of Jewett-Scio’s 1980 season and was broken when Jewett-Scio won the third game of the 1984 season (beating Indian Valley South, 27-20).

The last game that Jewett-Scio won before the streak began (scroll to 1979):

The streak ends (scroll to 1984):

Additional sources:

I saw Conotton Valley break a long streak years ago against Bellaire St. John Central. You'd have thought they won a state title

Quite right, too.

I remember when Oberlin beat Thiel in '96--word spread on campus before halftime that we might actually win and the crowd swelled from the usual parents and 30 or 40 students into something actually justifying the word "crowd". I'd say the celebration looked like we'd won a title but to be honest no one alive knows what that would look like. :)

I've been through too many of these--my high school alma mater just lost 34 in a row, my college alma mater had a 2-120 stretch--and I can say with the authority of too much experience that it's better to win a game once in a while.

Play a WV school

That was how Federal Hocking ended their losing streak. Hundred has been so bad for so long. If you want to stop your losing streak, schedule them.

The Hundred Hornets did manage to win a game last year. Before that, their last win was in 2010. This losing streak included several years of not playing football.

Before the IVC’s Jewett-Scio merged into Harrison Central in 1999, Jewett-Scio also had a 42-game winless streak that included one tie in 1981. The streak began at the start of Jewett-Scio’s 1980 season and was broken when Jewett-Scio won the third game of the 1984 season (beating Indian Valley South, 27-20).

Additional sources:

A reporter from the Steubenville Herald Star picked Jewett-Scio every week to win during their losing streak. I think she thought giving the Vikings positive vibes couldn't hurt.

I know the above list came from the OHSAA website but I have always had a bit of an issue with this list as it is titled. The category is listed as Consecutive Losses however Youngstown North did not lose 64 consecutive games. They did have a 64-game winless streak but two ties are included in those 64 games. It may be a subtle difference but for me a consecutive loss streak should end with a tie or victory. They obviously counted the two ties in the total games played during the streak so why is it listed as 64 consecutive losses? Even if the two ties were not counted as games played it would span a total of 62 games not 64. The Bulldogs lost 20 in a row, had a tie, lost 25, had a tie, lost 17 and then finally got a win. Now if the category is changed to Consecutive Winless Games then North would be correct.

IMO as the category is listed Richmond Hts. holds the record with 55 consecutive losses.

I agree YTOWN. Some would argue it's semantics, but I would not. WORDS HAVE MEANINGS. To use them interchangeably is to use them incorrectly.

My case in point is those who claim that the OHSAA offers a "playoff" for sports titles in Ohio. No, they don't.

A statewide TOURNAMENT is set up for basketball, baseball, etc. Football is the only sport know as a "playoff."

I agree YTOWN. Some would argue it's semantics, but I would not. WORDS HAVE MEANINGS. To use them interchangeably is to use them incorrectly.

My case in point is those who claim that the OHSAA offers a "playoff" for sports titles in Ohio. No, they don't.

A statewide TOURNAMENT is set up for basketball, baseball, etc. Football is the only sport know as a "playoff."

I spoke to OHSAA about Youngstown North several years ago after I first saw it in the Consecutive Losses category and they actually changed it, showed the 2 ties. Then then next time I looked they changed it back for some reason. They need a separate category of Longest Winless Streaks to make it accurate.

They have a separate category of Longest Unbeaten Streaks to go along with Consecutive Wins but there are problems with both of those also.

Under the Consecutive Wins category they list Niles with 48 from 1959-1964. The problem is, like Youngstown North, Niles had 5 ties in that streak. They never won more than 20 consecutively in that streak so using OHSAA's own criteria of a minimum of 40 wins Niles shouldn't even be listed. They are listed correctly on the Longest Unbeaten Streaks category but that list is also incorrect.

It lists Ironton at the top of the list with a 58-game unbeaten streak from 1977-1983. The 1st day I saw it I thought that is impossible as I knew Ironton lost in the 1st round of the 1980 playoffs and again in the 1982 title game in the years listed. My next thought was that OHSAA cannot possibly be listing regular season only games can they? Checking it out one will find that Ironton did not lose a game in 1983 so a regular season streak would not have ended until 1984 and that streak would have been 64 games, 61 wins and 3 ties, not 58. Again, that's only if you ignore the playoff games in those years. Why?

First of all how can a regular season only streak be listed in years when the team qualified and lost in the playoffs? Secondly even if that is what they are doing it is incorrect. I have no clue where they got the 58 number from or why regular season games only are included on the list for Ironton during the playoff era when the listed team qualified and lost.

The point is one should probably not just take everything on that site as Gospel. Verify first.

most of the WV schools near the Ohio River play a decent level of football except for a few very small towns that are too spread out to consolidate

I spoke to OHSAA about Youngstown North several years ago after I first saw it in the Consecutive Losses category and they actually changed it, showed the 2 ties. Then then next time I looked they changed it back for some reason. They need a separate category of Longest Winless Streaks to make it accurate.

They have a separate category of Longest Unbeaten Streaks to go along with Consecutive Wins but there are problems with both of those also.

Under the Consecutive Wins category they list Niles with 48 from 1959-1964. The problem is, like Youngstown North, Niles had 5 ties in that streak. They never won more than 20 consecutively in that streak so using OHSAA's own criteria of a minimum of 40 wins Niles shouldn't even be listed. They are listed correctly on the Longest Unbeaten Streaks category but that list is also incorrect.

It lists Ironton at the top of the list with a 58-game unbeaten streak from 1977-1983. The 1st day I saw it I thought that is impossible as I knew Ironton lost in the 1st round of the 1980 playoffs and again in the 1982 title game in the years listed. My next thought was that OHSAA cannot possibly be listing regular season only games can they? Checking it out one will find that Ironton did not lose a game in 1983 so a regular season streak would not have ended until 1984 and that streak would have been 64 games, 61 wins and 3 ties, not 58. Again, that's only if you ignore the playoff games in those years. Why?

First of all how can a regular season only streak be listed in years when the team qualified and lost in the playoffs? Secondly even if that is what they are doing it is incorrect. I have no clue where they got the 58 number from or why regular season games only are included on the list for Ironton during the playoff era when the listed team qualified and lost.

The point is one should probably not just take everything on that site as Gospel. Verify first.

YTOWN: I used to submit a whole bunch of stuff the OHSAA, basketball mostly. It took MONTHS for things to get updated/corrected/etc. Much like how what I call the "coaches page" on their site never gets fixed. Guys and gals step down from or are asked to leave their coaching positions and it's 8 months before things get changed.

I can see your point about regular season streaks in playoff years. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can understand it. There needs to be separation, and clarification. In basketball, the top 2 winning streaks are not "tallied" the same way. In fact, Middletown's is the only streak listed that INCLUDES tournament games. They won 76 straight games over the course of 3 consecutive seasons, including 2 State crowns. Willard won 69 straight REGULAR season games....their final game in the 78-79 season (finishing 17-1), then followed with 3 straight 20-0 years, and then their 1st 8 games in the 82-83 season (finishing 17-3).

But to break it all down for football would be time consuming, and even after the fact, there's little guarantee that the OHSAA would ever get around to posting it.

I know that Wynford won 63 straight regular season football games from 2006-2012, and made the playoffs each year, making the Regional Finals and Final Four a couple of years.

Cincinnati Finneytown broke a 34-game losing streak early last season. However, they are still on a 38-game losing streak against OHSAA opponents.

Finneytown 34, Riverside East 0; the OHSAA streak ends at 38.

I hope I get to post one more broken streak before this season is out.

If the rivalry streak against Wyoming is ever broken, that gets its own thread. I believe it's now at 54. And if you think that means it's no longer a rivalry, you didn't hear a Wyoming assistant coach come bounding out of the Finneytown press box after the final whistle eight years ago yelling 46! 46! 46!

Wow, 54 straight wins against an opponent. Amazing they still play
There's no choice, they're in the same league.

For the first 30 or so years of the streak the schools were roughly the same size and generally competitive in athletics, but with a different focus in the community. They were a football school first and foremost; we were a soccer school as far back as the early 70s, with basketball a strong #2 and football something of an afterthought. There was probably a soccer streak similar to this, back in those days, but in the other direction.

But the two schools' enrollment numbers have diverged sharply the last decade or so and I don't think the matchup is competitive in any sport now. We won a baseball game a couple of years ago, I guess. Sometimes these things run in cycles but if it doesn't turn around, it might soon be time to restructure the conferences around here.

Almost all of these teams had wins in 2019. Losing streaks after 2019:

32 Bradford
32 Buckeye Central
29 Lincoln West
24 Springfield Catholic Central
22 Lancaster Fairfield Christian Academy
20 Elmore Woodmore

Glad to see some of those long, long streaks come to an end. 40-plus games is just tough. An entire senior class never winning a game? That's rough.

Additional sources:

I was a Sophomore on that Jewett Scio 1984 team! We only had 16 kids that stuck it out to play the entire season! You started as a freshman in several positions! We still had heart and practiced everyday and were competitive 1984 we won 2 games beat IVS and Malvern next year 5-5 the next year 7-3 won the IVC the next year 8-2 with not more than 20 kids on our team! All these schools are small rural schools will no more that 20 kids on their sidelines!

What is the all time record for longest losing streak?
What schools currently have the longest in your area?
What I have according to Drew Pasteur. Did any of these get snapped last week?
longest losing streaks
42 Akron North (0-10 D3 R9)
42 Rayland Buckeye Local (0-10 D5 R19)
40 Minerva (0-10 D4 R13)
40 Stewart Federal Hocking (0-9 D6 R23)
37 Zanesville West Muskingum (0-10 D5 R19)
24 Newcomerstown (0-10 D6 R21)
22 Mount Gilead (0-10 D6 R23)
22 Sebring McKinley (0-10 D7 R25)
22 New Washington Buckeye Central (0-10 D7 R26)
22 Bradford (0-10 D7 R28)
22 Lancaster Fairfield Christian Academy (0-10 D7 R27)

Mt Gilead's streak ended last season with a Week 3 win over Elgin. They ended the season with 4 wins; granted those 4 schools combined to win only 4 games, but wins are wins.

Fairfield Christian ended their 22-game losing streak with a 39-8 win over Franklin Furnace Green. Any others??
More so a winless streak of 32 games (that’s how their parents are referring to the streak being broken after the fact, as the ‘W’ they were awarded that set the skid at 22 - and not 30 - was for a game they lost 64-14.) Good win for them.

Last edited:

Additional sources:

Sad that no one remembers the Bethel Bees 73 game losing streak

The longest losing streak I ever saw was Bettsville HS (now defunct) girls basketball team streak in the now defunct Midland Athletic League. They were 0-367 (or very close to that) in the league before they beat North Baltimore in like 1998 or 1999. That turned out to be the only league win for them in their tenure.