looking for Pickerington score from 1996

algernonsidney

Are there any experts here on the history of girls basketball at Pickerington? Back in 1996, there was only Pickerington.

I am looking for the score of the game between Pickerington and John Marshall. That is NOT the one in Cleveland. That is the one located in Glendale, West Virginia.

Thanks.

You sure it's not Chicago John Marshall? Pickerington beat them 73-57 in their 98-99 national title season. Couldn't find anything related to 1996.

I also found a 78-56 win over Chicago John Marshall in 1994. The game was played on MLK weekend as part of the Chicagoland Girls Prep Classic which appears to be an event in which Pickerington competed multiple times during that era.

Maybe the game never happened. I could be wrong about this.

I am asking because it's my high school. I didn't go to high school in Chicago.

From a Chicago Tribune article on January 13th, 1995:

In this weekend's fifth Chicagoland Girls Prep Classic at DePaul's Alumni Hall, against a field that also includes USA Today's No. 2 team-East Chicago (Ind.) Central-Illinois' No. 1 and 2 teams-Stevenson and Young (ranked No. 4 and No. 18 nationally)-and perennial area powers Lyons Township, Marshall, Mother McAuley and Maine West, Pickerington is more than the pick to click. It's the headliner.

The only other thing I could find was a Mercer Christian Academy from WV played in the '95 edition of Pickerington's Lady Tiger Classic held the weekend between Christmas and New Year's Day. They won their 1st game and lost their next 2 to finish 4th in the tournament. It does not appear that they played Pickerington though. FWIW, John Marshall was the top-ranked girls team in WV at the time in class AAA. Mercer Christian was the top-ranked girls team in WV Class A at the time.

Last edited:
West Virginia was playing girls basketball in the fall of 1994. They switched to winter girls basketball in the 1995-6 school year. Maybe they never went at all.

John Marshall was in the top ten in girls basketball just about every year throughout the 1980's and 1990's. They won the state in 1982. Maybe I will try researching this one myself.

The only year they may have played would have been the 1995-1996. I've got Pickerington schedules/results for most of those years after the 1994 year you mentioned except for that one. I want to say you are correct as I thought the Tigers played a team from West Virginia at some point during that stretch and beat them somewhat handily, but I might be thinking about a Kentucky team they played one year and flattened. I'll keep looking to see if I can find the 1995-1996 info.

Made an inquiry w/assistant coach that has those records. Pickerington did play John Marshall in the 1995-1996 year and beat them 80-27 (at home). Also beat Mercer Academy from WV that same year in the holiday tournament and beat them 63-44.

Made an inquiry w/assistant coach that has those records. Pickerington did play John Marshall in the 1995-1996 year and beat them 80-27 (at home). Also beat Mercer Academy from WV that same year in the holiday tournament and beat them 63-44.

Thanks for the information. I was sure the game happened, and that it was a blowout. It never got any coverage in the news back home. I suspect it was because the loss was so bad. I had heard the score was 60-6 at one point, but never heard the final. JM was used to being on the other end of games like this.

Mercer Christian is a small school that made girls' basketball into a niche. They don't even have football.