Looking ahead to next year

VB3

I hate the way the this season ended, but we here have started getting ready for next year. I always enjoy lists and rankings. Anyone got time for a list of top kids for next season. Just for something to look at.

Take Borofan’s almanac, remove the seniors, and move all FR/SO up a weight class and leave the JRs where they are.

Best way to “start” as a rule of thumb.

Th
Take Borofan’s almanac, remove the seniors, and move all FR/SO up a weight class and leave the JRs where they are.

Best way to “start” as a rule of thumb.
that is the exact formula I use when looking for specific opponents

And then a post about how we can't comment on 8 th graders yet to start at their projected high school.

Looking ahead is hard to see what’s to come. I don’t think anyone, a month ago, could’ve thought things would’ve escalated to where we are at. Now, I’m not so sure things return to normal by November. For my sanity I hope we have a wrestling season, but I think we are about 50/50 on a fall sports Season.

It will be High School or Club imo. I'll help back a club if need be. I see no reason why wrestling won't take place. It may not be what we are used to, but things happen. Wrestling does not require huge equipment cost. I hope current clubs are thinking ahead.

I still think that we could've gotten the state tournament over with before all of this got out of hand... but that's just me, some will agree and some will disagree

I still think that we could've gotten the state tournament over with before all of this got out of hand... but that's just me, some will agree and some will disagree

Indiana thought they could squeeze in some basketball games. 5 people from the same game died. Guess we'll never know but at least we aren't saying we really should've been more careful.

Last edited:
Until there is a readily available vaccine life as we knew it won’t be “back to normal”. Most research shows as soon as things open back up the cases will only rise. I hope I’m wrong, I miss sports, I miss family/friends, I miss normalcy.

Until there is a readily available vaccine life as we knew it won’t be “back to normal”. Most research shows as soon as things open back up the cases will only rise. I hope I’m wrong, I miss sports, I miss family/friends, I miss normalcy.

So, it is my understanding that there are currently no vaccines for RNA viruses and that the normal time to develop and deploy a vaccine is four years. I am not a doctor (nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn, recently), but I'm not sure of the likelihood of a vaccine and it's effectiveness since there is already talk about how it has mutated. I think it is more likely that we develop some effective treatments and try to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed by doing some targeted quarantines. I think that we will probably get back to those things, but I think we may have a new "normal" for a while.

Indiana thought they could squeeze in some basketball games. 5 people from the same game died. Guess we'll never know but at least we aren't saying we really should've been more careful.

That's not exactly how it happened in Indiana. The date of the basketball game was 3/6/20. They had their 1st reported case that same day. In Ohio we had opening day of the district tournament that same day. So to say they "squeezed it in" is a bit misleading as no one in the athletic associations of Indiana or Ohio knew how quickly it would progress.

On another note if OHSAA would have accepted the proposal of the coaches association to shorten the season to the last weekend in February we would have gotten our state tournament in. Ohio was the only state in the country to not complete their State Wrestling tournament because we want our season to be the longest. :mad:

chidy the irony of it all that OHSAA couldn't figure out out a way to get the season done in february. Lead to the tournament not happening because of it is kind of comical and just coincidence. Hindsight it would have been great!

That's not exactly how it happened in Indiana. The date of the basketball game was 3/6/20. They had their 1st reported case that same day. In Ohio we had opening day of the district tournament that same day. So to say they "squeezed it in" is a bit misleading as no one in the athletic associations of Indiana or Ohio knew how quickly it would progress.

On another note if OHSAA would have accepted the proposal of the coaches association to shorten the season to the last weekend in February we would have gotten our state tournament in. Ohio was the only state in the country to not complete their State Wrestling tournament because we want our season to be the longest. :mad:

In all fairness Ohio runs November 15th to March 15th as the official start and end dates for wrestling. In South Carolina we can start practicing 2 weeks before you guys can and our state tournament is always the last weekend in February, again 2 weeks before Ohio. North Carolina starts the same time we do with practice but can compete a week / week and a half before we can and NC's state tournament is a week before SC's. Georgia begins practice the 3rd week of October every year and ends mid-February every year.

Not gonna debate length of season but looking back if Ohio started as soon as most schools end their football season they could maintain the length and finish before March easily.

But not nearly enough room to handle the demand. Only a hand full throughout the state have their own buildings.

But not nearly enough room to handle the demand. Only a hand full throughout the state have their own buildings.

Yep, if this would happen you would see split time schedules with the elite wrestlers not getting turned away. It would really hurt the numbers, because very few clubs would deal with newbies or even wrestlers that aren't state level caliber. jmo

In my opinion...it'll be awful for the sport if that happens. It's hard enough to get kids to try the sport. Now their parents must have money and the kids must be elite at the beginner ages or they'll be washed out quickly.