London Boys Basketball

Curious opening. From the outside I thought it looked like Coach Brown did a pretty good job improving the program year over year the last four years.

One more year of Woodyard and company but they lose a lot after him and that class. I think there's still potential there after he graduates, but it's probably going to be another rebuild for a couple years. Factoring in what's probably going to be a shortened (or non-existent) summer, I'd think this could be a hard sell for an established or rising coach with head coaching experience.

Curious opening. From the outside I thought it looked like Coach Brown did a pretty good job improving the program year over year the last four years.

One more year of Woodyard and company but they lose a lot after him and that class. I think there's still potential there after he graduates, but it's probably going to be another rebuild for a couple years. Factoring in what's probably going to be a shortened (or non-existent) summer, I'd think this could be a hard sell for an established or rising coach with head coaching experience.

why a hard sell?

I believe it’s a good school district?

why a hard sell?

Usually you don't walk into a situation as a new coach where people are going to expect immediate results. In a lot of ways I don't think somebody gets to walk into this job and really build a program as they'd like off the bat. This is more like a one year situation where you're going to be expected to maximize what's there and push for league and district championships likely followed by a rebuilding project starting in the second year.

Usually you don't walk into a situation as a new coach where people are going to expect immediate results. In a lot of ways I don't think somebody gets to walk into this job and really build a program as they'd like off the bat. This is more like a one year situation where you're going to be expected to maximize what's there and push for league and district championships likely followed by a rebuilding project starting in the second year.

True! Hopefully they find a good one, someone committed to the program and school.

why a hard sell?

Program that's had some really good talent, has a Division 1 player in the wings , yet might not even make it out of Districts. In no short thanks to the fact they play in a league that is outside of the district.

I get everyone wants to hit the jackpot on their hire. I don’t think most of you understand that this is a pipe dream for most schools.

Program that's had some really good talent, has a Division 1 player in the wings , yet might not even make it out of Districts. In no short thanks to the fact they play in a league that is outside of the district.

How good is the D2 central district?

Last edited:
D2 central district is tricky as usually it seems there's 1-2 teams that are a notch above the rest that go into the Athens/OU bracket, while a horde of pretty good teams end up filling out most of the other bracket feeding into the southwest regional. If you're seeded somewhere in the #3-#8 range you probably have to beat three good teams to win your district.

Being in a southwest district league likely hurts for seeding, but the same is also true for Jonathan Alder. Winning against good non-league opponents cures that.

Unless you’re really good, Forget. A few of these D-2 s are right up there with the D-1 s
And how good is London year in and year out? The senior group they have next year is an anomaly for them. I heard a Springfield assistant who made final round of interviews last time is front runner. Not sure of his name

How good is the D2 central district?
The D2 central district is good! Beechcroft, Linden, DeSales, Eastmoor Academy, Buckeye Valley will all be good next season. Not to mention Heath, Watterson, Hartley, and London. I would not cout out Bexley and Centennial might be the best team in DII next season. Definitely will be the surprise team.

And how good is London year in and year out? The senior group they have next year is an anomaly for them. I heard a Springfield assistant who made final round of interviews last time is front runner. Not sure of his name

Up and down, but they have good enough athletes to be pretty good consistently IMO.

I'd have to assume that you're talking about the guy that was the interim/acting head coach for much of the season at Springfield this year. IMO all things considered he did a good job this year and should be the next coach at Springfield. I would consider him a home run hire.

After this year I wouldn’t expect there to be much success. Look at past years prior to Woodyard and it’s been really bad. That’s a football school all the way and they don’t have a strong basketball tradition. I’m still very curious as to why Brown left now, but after one year I can’t imagine it would be a desirable location based on past history.

After this year I wouldn’t expect there to be much success. Look at past years prior to Woodyard and it’s been really bad. That’s a football school all the way and they don’t have a strong basketball tradition. I’m still very curious as to why Brown left now, but after one year I can’t imagine it would be a desirable location based on past history.

You could say a lot of the same things about Urbana prior to their current coach arriving about 15 or so years ago.

A good coach can build a consistent winner at London, but they have to hang around for a while...and the administration has to let them hang around.

Here's the thing about London - had some talent, but didn't play hard against anyone but Alder. They were very lazy at times and there was a huge lack of discipline. I think that coach had some people in the building that weren't too fond of him. That's all it takes. Could be a good job if you can corral the talent. Sometimes easier said then done.

As far as their tourney exit, Woodyard was hurt and didn't play in the two tourney games.