Live Albums..... recommend me some

vamp2syd

For those not familiar with my album thread I listen to an album that I have never heard before from beginning to end each day or so. I typically do studio albums but I will be taking a break from that (other than new releases that come out) and will be doing "Live" albums for awhile..... so, recommend me some Live albums from Rock and Metal bands..... thanks!

I will be starting with Peter Frampton....

I'll edit in here the ones suggested that I have listened to since this thread was started and those I have listened to prior that is suggested. The number in parenthesis means that is in my top 5 of those suggested.

Peter Frampton - Frampton comes Alive!
The Allman Brothers - At Filmore East
Kiss - Alive (own it)
Cheap Trick - At Budakan (own it)
The Band - Rock of Ages
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Nine Tonight (5)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From the Road (1)
Aerosmith - Live! Bootleg
Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (2)
The Who - Live at Leeds
Led Zeppelin - Destroyer (4)
Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Live Rust (3)
Lou Reed - Rock 'N' Roll Animal
Rush - Exit...Stage Left
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo!
Wings - Wings over America
Foghat - Live

Last edited:

^ Not sure if I am ready for an instrumental band..... Not sure why though as it is usually the vocals that make or break a band for me....

Rock and Metal bands?

How about Lou Reed "Rock 'n' Roll Animal"? One of my favorites back in high school.

"Jenny said when she was just five years old, you know, there's nothin' happening at all."

Eagles Live from 1977 and Metallica S & M (1999) are two of my all-time favorites. The Metallica album is the one they recorded with the San Francisco Symphony.

At Fillmore East
Allman Brothers

This is probably the top classic rock live album, very jammy that has a great sound and captures a crack band at the top of their game. Some others I like

Some serious raw energy, Needs to be played loud.

The location really added to The record.

This album always gets me in a dancing mood.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More from the Road

Bog Seger - Live Bullet or Nine Tonight...the latter is more recent so it has more of his big 70s hits.

The Band - Rock of Ages....better than The Last Waltz though both are good.

Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East

Kiss - Alive

Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan

For those not familiar with my album thread I listen to an album that I have never heard before from beginning to end each day or so. I typically do studio albums but I will be taking a break from that (other than new releases that come out) and will be doing "Live" albums for awhile..... so, recommend me some Live albums from Rock and Metal bands..... thanks!

I will be starting with Peter Frampton....
That was my first thought!

Thanks for the suggestions, a lot of good ones there.

Kiss - Alive, I own that album so I have heard it plenty of times.....

1589208750673.png

Live Rust is a great live album, one of the foundations of "Grunge".

Back to the Bars was required listening growing up in CLE during the late '70s. Some of the album was recorded in CLE. at the original Agora.

Also don't forget about Bootlegs ;)

Led Zepplin's Destroyer was recorded in CLE and many consider it the gold standard of '70s bootlegs, it even has its own Wikipedia page.

Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up

81w-Ixq5g0-VL-SS500.jpg

Bout 30 years ago, saw Ministry live a number of times. Each time, they had that fence around the stage, lol:

Ministry - In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up

81w-Ixq5g0-VL-SS500.jpg

Bout 30 years ago, saw Ministry live a number of times. Each time, they had that fence around the stage, lol:

I saw Megadeth and they had a chainlink fence all around them even over top of them..... that show was crazy with everyone climbing on it and then off course the stage dive or I mean the fence dive.....

I see a couple of Cheap Tricks suggested, I do own that album.

Not sure what will be next for tomorrow, maybe The Band - Rock of Ages or if I need something heavy then probably Death.....

I do like Neil Young.....
Good. Then "Live Rust" is one you should definitely listen to. I think you'll like it.

Another of my favorites from that era: Paul McCartney and Wings "Wings Over America", a 28-song compendium from their U.S. tour covering late 1975 into mid-1976. The fact that I saw them from 10 rows back on the floor at the Richfield Coliseum in the spring of 1976 may have colored my thinking.

Enjoy!