Lions and Rams swap QBs

Great trade for both teams. Rams are in a better position to win now and Lions will be in a better position to win 1-2 years from now.

I've never been a fan of sending multiple number one picks in a trade. It pretty much never works out.

Rams send Lions 1st round picks as well. Interestin.

The Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for the Rams' first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff

The Lions sent Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for the Rams' first-round draft picks in 2022 and 2023, a third-round pick in 2021, and quarterback Jared Goff
Just heard the Rams haven’t had a 1st since drafting Goff and now won’t have one till 2024.

Unless the Rams win a Super Bowl in the next two years this will likely be a bad trade for them. How good it is for the Lions depends on how they use the picks and Goff. I’m not assuming Goff is their guy. They may use him to get the QB they really want in the draft.

Yep, Goff may well be a stop gap. It wasn't that long ago that Goff and Wentz were the future of NFL QB's.

That's a hell of a price to pay for Stafford. The guy is obviously talented, but 2 firsts and a middle of the road QB? Seems a little pricy for a guy with so few years ahead of him. If he's worth that I can't imagine the price that will have to be paid for Watson.

The Rams gave up a tremendous amount to have a slightly better chance of winning for a couple years. Stafford turns 33 this coming week, and I wouldn't have much confidence in him being a higher level player beyond the two years he's currently under contract.

The Lions got a QB in return that could potentially be solid. If not, for them there's probably nothing hurt having Goff under center for a couple years while they added two extra firsts and an extra third in the next three drafts.

One would think the market price for Deshaun Watson is going to be absurd after this deal. If Stafford netted 2 firsts and a third, Watson has to be worth something along the lines of 4 firsts or 3 firsts with a combination of several second and third round picks.

1612135754662.png

And now you know the rest of the story,,,, (

Personally going to miss Stafford a lot, but I hope he can have a successful end of career over there.

Lions are laughing to the bank with those draft picks tho. Hopefully Goff is better over here and they use those future picks to help get some talent.

Wonder if Goff and Wentz's contract extensions will make some franchises think twice.
I thought they were a bit premature and jumped the gun with those monster deals.

A comparison of situational stats (qb ratings) for three qbs, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, and Baker Mayfield this year.
Quarter - Stafford - Goff - Mayfield
1 - 110.4 - 92.3 - 86
2 - 102.3 - 78.1 - 110.5
3 - 90.9 - 90.4 - 88.7
4 - 85.4 - 104.1 - 91.9
behind by 7 in Q4 MS - 88.1 - JG - 90.9 - BM - 127.3
Tom Brady Q3 rating is 81.6, the rest are over 100 with 121.2 in Q4
Mahomes - every situation - except OT is over 100
Just looking at stats - I don't think the Rams or Lions gained a darn thing.
Depends how those qbs fit in with their new teams.
And some were thinking the Lions might draft Fields from tOSU. They might decide to go after a different position now - maybe a WR?

A comparison of situational stats (qb ratings) for three qbs, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff, and Baker Mayfield this year.
Quarter - Stafford - Goff - Mayfield
1 - 110.4 - 92.3 - 86
2 - 102.3 - 78.1 - 110.5
3 - 90.9 - 90.4 - 88.7
4 - 85.4 - 104.1 - 91.9
behind by 7 in Q4 MS - 88.1 - JG - 90.9 - BM - 127.3
Tom Brady Q3 rating is 81.6, the rest are over 100 with 121.2 in Q4
Mahomes - every situation - except OT is over 100
Just looking at stats - I don't think the Rams or Lions gained a darn thing.
Depends how those qbs fit in with their new teams.
And some were thinking the Lions might draft Fields from tOSU. They might decide to go after a different position now - maybe a WR?
The Lions problems go way deeper than who their QB is.

They can win with Goff if they add some players around him.

Lions are solid at RB with Johnson and Swift. Patricia wanted to be like his old boss Bill and use a bunch of backs including 100 year old Peterson. Johnson and Swift are both decent and need to be used regularly. Hockenson is a good tight end. Golladay is also good but was hurt most of the year. As I recall, he may be a free agent this year. Marvin Joes is definitely on the down side of his career. With the seventh pick they should be able to get another offensive weapon if they want to go in that direction, including a QB if they don't think Goff is the answer.

The Rams gave up a tremendous amount to have a slightly better chance of winning for a couple years. Stafford turns 33 this coming week, and I wouldn't have much confidence in him being a higher level player beyond the two years he's currently under contract.

The Lions got a QB in return that could potentially be solid. If not, for them there's probably nothing hurt having Goff under center for a couple years while they added two extra firsts and an extra third in the next three drafts.

One would think the market price for Deshaun Watson is going to be absurd after this deal. If Stafford netted 2 firsts and a third, Watson has to be worth something along the lines of 4 firsts or 3 firsts with a combination of several second and third round picks.
I completely agree with this take.

100% agree - Rams way overspent to get slightly better. Clearly going for the SB right now with that defense. It also shows how quickly they lost faith in Goff. Kinda stunning.

I dont know if Stafford is in his prime...but having the #1 Defense this year helps. SF had the 5th highest defense, followed by AZ at #13, and SEA at the #22 spot. The Lions play in a division where GB is #9, CHI #11, and MIN is #27 in defense. DET, by the way ranks last. Not good odds for DET, but maybe Goff can hit a reset button with that new coach. Stafford on the other hand will have more pressure on his shoulders than ever. Not expected to do well in DET but in LA, in that new stadium, you are.

I've never been a fan of sending multiple number one picks in a trade. It pretty much never works out.
In general, I agree. However, this could be the deal that gets the Rams a SB. Stafford is an elite Passing QB (key word Passing), and with McVey coaching him, he can reach new heights.

100% agree - Rams way overspent to get slightly better. Clearly going for the SB right now with that defense. It also shows how quickly they lost faith in Goff. Kinda stunning.
I think they’re more than slightly better. However, it is weird just 2 yrs ago Goff lead them to a SB and now he’s gone. That Monday Night Game where they beat the Chiefs in an epic shootout showcased how the NFL has evolved into an Offense first/Pass Happy League.

I think they’re more than slightly better. However, it is weird just 2 yrs ago Goff lead them to a SB and now he’s gone. That Monday Night Game where they beat the Chiefs in an epic shootout showcased how the NFL has evolved into an Offense first/Pass Happy League.
It reminds me of about 20 years ago, when my son and I played the NFL Blitz video game.

Every game finished at about 75-72, or something like that.

It reminds me of about 20 years ago, when my son and I played the NFL Blitz video game.

Every game finished at about 75-72, or something like that.

I hated Blitz too. I’m not particularly fond of this high scoring, limited Defense style of play, but it is what it is.

I hated Blitz too. I’m not particularly fond of this high scoring, limited Defense style of play, but it is what it is.
25 yards for a first down!

The rules people have slanted things to favor offense for too long now.

These easiest solution is allow DBs to play more aggressively. In the NFL, PI needs to become only a 15 yard penalty instead of a spot foul and it should only be called in the most blatant cases. If there’s any doubt, no penalty should be called.

It is because offense sells tickets.

PI is a tough call, and I am glad they went away from the replay system of it. I would keep it as is, as a spot foul.

I would, however, change the illegal contact and defensive holding and not make it a first down. I would be OK with ten yards, and not auto first down.
I just hate when a second or third and long get one of those calls and it is an automatic first.

I am glad a few years ago they changed the EP though. It makes it just interesting enough as that 15 yard EP was just too automatic.

With that said........

I think the Rams gave away too much, Buuuuut they feel he is the missing link. If he can bring a SB, it was worth it. If not....this could kill them for awhile.

These easiest solution is allow DBs to play more aggressively. In the NFL, PI needs to become only a 15 yard penalty instead of a spot foul and it should only be called in the most blatant cases. If there’s any doubt, no penalty should be called.
Blame Mel Blount

I've said that for years, too.

You shouldn't get the ball on the 1 yard line and win the game because of a penalty.