Votes: 32 43.8%
  • St. Vincent-St. Mary in a close one

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Shawnee by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shawnee in a close one

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters
any opinion of where mangas can play at the next level? Saw him for the first time today

Findlay or similar caliber D2. Feel confirmed in thinking after today that there are a ton of questions in terms of low-to-mid D1, whether it's what position he plays, who can he guard, and whether or not some of the ways he scores will translate to that level with his measurables.

Maybe they could schedule Akron Buchtel and SVSM for OCC games.

A breakdown of Shawnee's schedule
Their opponents this season averaged 10 wins (some schools like Elida and LCC they played twice, neither having a great season)
D1 Opponents - 2 (Findlay and Lima who both shared the TRAC title with Toledo St. Johns)
D2 - 7 (all WBL opponents)
D3 - 3
D4 - 5

I don't know that a Lima metro all-star team would beat St. V. Mangas (Shawnee), Elwer (Shawnee), Wheeler (Shawnee), Luster (Lima Sr.), Rawlins (Lima Sr.) Miles (Lima Sr.) Bubby Knight (Perry), not sure who LCC had to bring to the table, Elida and or Bath wouldn't have anyone to add IMO. Would that group beat St. V? No idea.

Competitive balance numbers for today's game: Shawnee 2, Akron SVSM 63.

A breakdown of Shawnee's schedule
Their opponents this season averaged 10 wins (some schools like Elida and LCC they played twice, neither having a great season)
D1 Opponents - 2 (Findlay and Lima who both shared the TRAC title with Toledo St. Johns)
D2 - 7 (all WBL opponents)
D3 - 3
D4 - 5

They also played Trotwood Madison D2 outside of the league this season

I don’t know much about Buchtel’s basketball pedigree, but SVSM is a perennial state power, regardless of division. Shawnee has had a couple of really good years, but driving to Akron every other year to take a pounding would make no sense for what is normally a mid-pack WBL team.

They may not win the game but you want the experience of playing at that level. That’s the point, unless you’re only interested in the regular season.

Just here to see the folks complaining about competitive balance at a private school. 63 is actually only 9 kids for last year team that transferred in after 8th grade.

Per Arbiter, it looks like next year's schedule has Shawnee against LCC, Lima Senior, Findlay, Rossford, Harvest Prep (D3 district runner-up to Worthington Christian who's playing in the D3 title game), both Botkins and Columbus Grove (who are playing for the D4 title this year), and some other local MAC/NWC schools in addition to some holiday tournaments. Then their normal WBL slate of games. Is it a D1 schedule with out of state powers like SVSM? Absolutely not. Is it playing the best teams in the area that are easily accessible to you? Yeah, pretty much. Their scheduling could be more elite, but it could also be far, far worse.

Remember the team from outside of Zanesville(their name escapes me)that beat St. V in the title game 5 or 6 years ago also scheduled them and beat them in Akron during the regular season that year as well.

Does anyone have the box scores?

d2.JPG

Attachments

• d2.pdf
    253.7 KB · Views: 16
If St Ignatius wins Tonight then the Irish have already beat both D1 finalist Centerville and Iggy’s during the regular season. Iggy’s is coached by Dru Joyce son. Irish return 6-4 Harris,6-2 Pryor, 6-3 Hayes, 5-7 Hamilton, 6-2 Thomas, 6-9 Stratford, 6-2 Connery in 21-22.

ASVSM played lights out today, Shawnee def. D - 1 regional finalist Lima Sr. during the reg. season, I don't care what kind of schedule Shawnee played the Indians were just out talented.
He speak the truth. Both teams diciplined, check. Both teams played as a team, check, asvsm just much more talented, check.

I'm going to make the opposite argument that some of you are making. High School sports should be about playing your league and your area. Playing someone from another area might be an interesting diversion from your regular games but shouldn't be the standard. I understand why StV plays these regional and even national schedules. They are filling that new niche in HS sports but I really don't want to see things go in that direction.

Local kids playing other local kids is what HS sports is about to me. The state tournament should be a guessing game every year. Can that best team from NEO compete with that best team from SWO? The Central Ohio best team versus that great team from NWO. A SEO team most people don't know about makes a run. That is what makes HS sports interesting. You have that going on right now in college with the Big Ten or SEC team trying to move on. How the PAC-12 team does against the ACC. Or maybe that small conference team can rise up and challenge the big dogs.

I don't want to see super teams on an elite level head and shoulders above every one else and the outcome known before the tournament starts. I'm impressed with the level of skill and talent but I think the mystery of staying in your area makes the tournament alot better than having an elite circuit playing statewide schedules every year.