Lima Senior to announce new HFC

scbuckeye99

Heard on the radio this morning (WIMA) that there is to be a special BOE meeting tonight at 5:30 pm to announce the new HFC at Lima Senior.

On Twitter it is being reported to be Alphonso Townsend. Former player there and played at OSU it looks like. Don't know anything else besides that. Seems pretty underwhelming, IMO.

Good well respected coach who is already familiar with the kids and school. The fact that you don't know who he is demonstrates your bias for Smith.

Good well respected coach who is already familiar with the kids and school. The fact that you don't know who he is demonstrates your bias for Smith.

Didn't know Smith either if that was a shot at me. Just knew he has been a head coach before and has had success at other places. Don't follow Lima Senior much so couldn't find much on Townsend.

No question the administration handled this poorly. Solid hire that will calm things down. I don't think they will be successful regardless of the coach

Interesting hire. Definitely someone who has Lima in his heart and has been dedicated to Lima for a while now both as a player and as a coach. Hope nothing but the best for him.

In all fairness I'm guessing a lot of people outside of Lima may not know who Coach Townsend is. Doesn't mean they are pro or anti anyone. Think he'll do well, more importantly hope he does well.

I thought Coach Smith would be a good higher, and I was a huge advocate for him, but the more I think about it the more I feel like Townsend or anybody from Lima will be a good coach for them. Lima hasn’t changed much in the past 20 years, and Townsend knows the lives of the kids and his heart is in Lima. Coach Griffin brought charisma but he didn’t know Lima like Townsend does. Maybe he can turn this ship around. Or at least make them somewhat competitive

What is his coaching background. People's scoffed at me when I broke the news of the whole fiasco and seems not so far fetched now...

Just wondering what sort of coaching background he has. Lima area has athletes and the right coaxh can do a solid job there.

Looks like he coached under Fell and Griffin right? Griffin's X's and O's were not bad. He just did not have the same talent Fell experienced and once you start rolling in a negative direction sometimes the wheels fall off.

Best of luck to Townsend.

Looks like he coached under Fell and Griffin right? Griffin's X's and O's were not bad. He just did not have the same talent Fell experienced and once you start rolling in a negative direction sometimes the wheels fall off.

Best of luck to Townsend.

The biggest difference between Griffin and Fell was discipline. Fell enforced it from the start and Griffin let it slip and it showed IMO

Which brings me to my next question: What does Toby Smith do now?

He's been on the search since he found out he wasn't getting Lima Sr. There are a lot of factors that go into making a move though, coaching is secondary to teaching when you're talking money and career.

Someone is going to get a steal of a coach. Toby is the most successful coach in West Liberty-Salem's history (107-33) and probably the 3rd most successful coach in Bellefontaine's history (45-25). That's a career .724 winning % in 21 seasons, 4 undefeated seasons and 10 playoff appearances at 2 schools that really were struggling in football before he took over. Say what you want about him, the man can coach football and build a program.

He's still in his 40's and has a lot of years coaching ahead of him. Whomever takes the chance on him will not regret it.

If I recall correctly, that's why it happened to him. Hence the funny in the reply.
Nah.
That is not why he did not get the job. That may be the reason the BOE wants people to believe, but the real reason i will not restate as you can find it on other threads regarding this situation.

It was a real screw job and if it had happened in reverse it would make national news.

Last edited:
Nah.
That is not why he did not get the job. That may be the reason the BOE wants people to believe, but the real reason i will not restate as you can find it on other threads regarding this situation.

It was a real screw job and if it had happened in reverse it would make national news.

I thought Coach Smith would be a good higher, and I was a huge advocate for him, but the more I think about it the more I feel like Townsend or anybody from Lima will be a good coach for them. Lima hasn’t changed much in the past 20 years, and Townsend knows the lives of the kids and his heart is in Lima. Coach Griffin brought charisma but he didn’t know Lima like Townsend does. Maybe he can turn this ship around. Or at least make them somewhat competitive

I'll agree that the hiring process from the outside looking in could've been handled differently (meaning better) BUT as I mentioned on a previous thread regarding this matter as someone who has sat on hiring committees including HFC you have to be cognizant of not just their W's and L's but also who they are as a person. I have zero doubt that coach Smith is a great person and coach but in this litigious day and age as a BOE or an AD or a building admin you have to take into consideration things off the field that that person may have done that could come back and ultimately make you the employer look foolish.

I won't say that Coach Townsend is a good pick nor a bad pick. He is however a "safe pick". He is from the community. To my knowledge has not coached anywhere else which can be both good and bad IMO. He played under Rush, coached under Fell so he has solid experiences both as a player and coach to fall back on. He knows the kids and community, is extremely loyal and dedicated to the school and kids.

I graduated from Senior High 20 years ago. To say it hasn't changed much in those 2 decades is well debatable depending on who you ask. If you ask me, it has changed a lot. Clearly from an enrollment stand point for starters. When I graduated we had about 1,400 students in the high school and now LSH struggles to stay above 1,000. That's a lot of missed bodies over 20 years. I won't go into the demographic changes in Lima or at Senior High since the late 90s b/c I'm positive that's the direction some want this to go.

All i'll say is are there still athletes there? Sure. Can you win in football? Yes. Is Coach Townsend the guy who can make that happen I sure hope so and am pulling for him.

Last edited:
I'll agree that the hiring process from the outside looking in could've been handled differently (meaning better) BUT as I mentioned on a previous thread regarding this matter as someone who has sat on hiring committees including HFC you have to be cognizant of not just their W's and L's but also who they are as a person. I have zero doubt that coach Smith is a great person and coach but in this litigious day and age as a BOE or an AD or a building admin you have to take into consideration things off the field that that person may have done that could come back and ultimately make you the employer look foolish.

I won't say that Coach Townsend is a good pick nor a bad pick. He is however a "safe pick". He is from the community. To my knowledge has not coached anywhere else which can be both good and bad IMO. He played under Rush, coached under Fell so he has solid experiences both as a player and coach to fall back on. He knows the kids and community, is extremely loyal and dedicated to the school and kids.

I graduated from Senior High 20 years ago. To say it hasn't changed much in those 2 decades is well debatable depending on who you ask. If you ask me, it has changed a lot. Clearly from an enrollment stand point for starters. When I graduated we had about 1,400 students in the high school and now LSH struggles to stay above 1,000. That's a lot of missed bodies over 20 years. I won't go into the demographic changes in Lima or at Senior High since the late 90s b/c I'm positive that's the direction some want this to go.

All i'll say is are there still athletes there? Sure. Can you win in football? Yes. Is Coach Townsend the guy who can make that happen I sure hope so and am pulling for him.

I meant to say the city of Lima hasn’t changed much in 20 years, if you are speaking about demographics, crime, and industry. Really, the city has gotten smaller.

The whole thing is an awful look for Lima Senior. They thought they had three other candidates before they reluctantly settled for Biggie. I hope he does well but the athletic department isn't doing him any favors.

This is odd. Coach Smith was on to hiring biggie as an asst when he was originally told he has the job.

But in terms of this news......I'll check my Lima source thatw close to the sit.

SO they wouldn't hire him as a HC, but they are OK with him him being a DC on staff? Thats weird.

Also weird that he would take a job there after they did him wrong in the hiring process.

Very Weird, but good luck to him.

SO they wouldn't hire him as a HC, but they are OK with him him being a DC on staff? Thats weird.

Also weird that he would take a job there after they did him wrong in the hiring process.

Very Weird, but good luck to him.
If indeed true, just the HC in the waiting.........