Liberals forcing more stores to close

Grocery stores should be automated.
That's coming. Kroger started a new store this week that has 1,000 robots in it and will generate the production of 20 stores. They load trucks with orders that are then delivered to the customers homes.

20 more such "stores" are planned for future. That's 400 stores worth of product with virtually zero labor. The future is no one has to work entry level jobs because there wont be any.

That's coming. Kroger started a new store this week that has 1,000 robots in it and will generate the production of 20 stores. They load trucks with orders that are then delivered to the customers homes.

20 more such "stores" are planned for future. That's 400 stores worth of product with virtually zero labor. The future is no one has to work entry level jobs because there wont be any.
But won't the people out of those entry level jobs steal my groceries from the front porch when the delivery guy leaves them there?

Here's an idea. If we dramatically reduced their tax rate then they could pay employees better.

Oh wait, nevermind.

Here's an idea. If we dramatically reduced their tax rate then they could pay employees better.

Oh wait, nevermind.
At least those two stores would still be open. I know this may come as a surprise to a liberal but businesses do need to make a certain amount of profit to stay open.

Reactions: y2h

Exactly

There will always be entry level jobs. It’s just that those jobs will require a greater skill set and that’s the way it should be.
Nope. We’re heading towards absolute automation. A lot of people (including and especially a lot of smart people) are living in a fantasy world thinking there job is safe.

Nope. We’re heading towards absolute automation. A lot of people (including and especially a lot of smart people) are living in a fantasy world thinking there job is safe.
I’m in favor of automating anything you can. That said, there will always be jobs for people. We are far more automated than we were 50 years ago and unemployment is at near lows pandemic aside.

On every road in industrialized areas in southwest ohio there are help wanted signs, literally every business has them out. Not to mention every single fast food restaurant has them out as well.

If the stores in the article are having to permanently close due to adding $4 per hour to their payroll, they were doomed before that. I understand that the cost impact of adding $4/hr. to their employees is likely a big hit right now, but if that puts them out permanently, then they were already gone.

If the stores in the article are having to permanently close due to adding $4 per hour to their payroll, they were doomed before that. I understand that the cost impact of adding $4/hr. to their employees is likely a big hit right now, but if that puts them out permanently, then they were already gone.
Grocery store margins are incredibly low. Multiply $4/hr x Employee hours per month and that is an astronomical number to overcome.

The added $$ and benefits for those to stay home and not work is also hurting employers. SO many places cannot find employees in the food service. Few places are limiting their services and hours because they cannot find workers.

My fav local place, CTown Wings in Celina, stated over the weekend that their employers are working 7 days a week as they cannot get people to work. To combat this, twice a week they are only going to have buffett as that takes less people to staff and man.

The govt is enabling laziness, which I guess is the Democrats forte because they need their constituents to be helpless, needy and supported by the govt so they will be repeat voters.

On every road in industrialized areas in southwest ohio there are help wanted signs, literally every business has them out. Not to mention every single fast food restaurant has them out as well.
This is true here in Northeast Ohio as well, but the issue is two pronged. The first thing everyone blames is all the extra unemployment people are making because of the extension of the unemployment assistance. That is partially true, but it is also sad that unemployment could supplant wages that are clearly not livable. Many people think $15/hr is decent money, except it isn't, and even if it is starting salary, there is likely little advancement in these industries.

The second part, at least here and most of Ohio, is that there has been and continues to be a mass exodus of younger people looking elsewhere for employment. Coupled with the fact that Ohio was a once proud manufacturing state and has yet to make the transition away from that industry, the population is aging rapidly. Many people are not moving into Ohio, outside of major metropolitan areas, for jobs and to start a family. Cost of living has far outpaced wage increases and there is simply a shortage of workers, when our local unemployment is around 4% or so.

This is true here in Northeast Ohio as well, but the issue is two pronged. The first thing everyone blames is all the extra unemployment people are making because of the extension of the unemployment assistance. That is partially true, but it is also sad that unemployment could supplant wages that are clearly not livable. Many people think $15/hr is decent money, except it isn't, and even if it is starting salary, there is likely little advancement in these industries.

The second part, at least here and most of Ohio, is that there has been and continues to be a mass exodus of younger people looking elsewhere for employment. Coupled with the fact that Ohio was a once proud manufacturing state and has yet to make the transition away from that industry, the population is aging rapidly. Many people are not moving into Ohio, outside of major metropolitan areas, for jobs and to start a family. Cost of living has far outpaced wage increases and there is simply a shortage of workers, when our local unemployment is around 4% or so.
It's time to start making people do community service, cleaning up roadsides, whatever to collect their welfare or unemployment, as long as they are physically able.

Grocery store margins are incredibly low. Multiply $4/hr x Employee hours per month and that is an astronomical number to overcome.

The added $$ and benefits for those to stay home and not work is also hurting employers. SO many places cannot find employees in the food service. Few places are limiting their services and hours because they cannot find workers.

My fav local place, CTown Wings in Celina, stated over the weekend that their employers are working 7 days a week as they cannot get people to work. To combat this, twice a week they are only going to have buffett as that takes less people to staff and man.

The govt is enabling laziness, which I guess is the Democrats forte because they need their constituents to be helpless, needy and supported by the govt so they will be repeat voters.
I understand their margins are very low, but if that increase in wages, for hourly employees puts you over the edge, then you had bigger issues all along. Smaller grocery stores are getting killed by larger companies who can afford these wage increases because they have been given massive tax breaks and incentives by GOP led initiatives, thus exacerbating their profits at alarming rates.

I agree the unemployment issue is causing massive headaches for those trying to hire employees at that entry level range, and there should be a method by which the applicant must be truly unable to find work. That will end here sooner rather than later and then what happens? One would assume that they would all return to work and live happily ever after. If that were the assumption then why close doors permanently?

Restaurants are the industry that I see being hurt the most and that is due largely to their low minimum wages and the unemployment extension definitely is the culprit here. Although maybe we are in a bubble here in NE Ohio, but I don't see many places closing their doors, maybe altering ways to serve and maximize profit, but not closing.

It's time to start making people do community service, cleaning up roadsides, whatever to collect their welfare or unemployment, as long as they are physically able.
I actually think this is a great idea. If you claim you cannot find work, and want unemployment, then work for it. However, this is kind of a Marxist/Communist principle, isn't it? ;)

I actually think this is a great idea. If you claim you cannot find work, and want unemployment, then work for it. However, this is kind of a Marxist/Communist principle, isn't it? ;)
I don't know about that, but I bet a lot of them might suddenly "find" real jobs.

4Many of those jobs are either entry level, people working for extra, or just a side type of job to make extra money for their family/
I know a few people who work in the food industry just as some extra money for the family and they are not going to go back to work until the govt stops giving the extra money for a number of reasons.
1. They make more staying home.
2. Gives them more flexibility to do what the heck they want.
3. Child care. They can stay home, make more extra $$ for their family AND not have to pay for the child care? Hells yeah.
4. No evenings, weekends, holidays? hell yeah.

Fact of the matter is, the GOVT paying this much for unemployment is allowing more people to stay home. While it would drive me nuts, it is the way for so many. It is not usually their career, but just a job to them and for so many when they weigh the pros and cons of $$, free, time, expenses, ETC.......yeay, the govt is enabling them

4Many of those jobs are either entry level, people working for extra, or just a side type of job to make extra money for their family/
I know a few people who work in the food industry just as some extra money for the family and they are not going to go back to work until the govt stops giving the extra money for a number of reasons.
1. They make more staying home.
2. Gives them more flexibility to do what the heck they want.
3. Child care. They can stay home, make more extra $$ for their family AND not have to pay for the child care? Hells yeah.
4. No evenings, weekends, holidays? hell yeah.

Fact of the matter is, the GOVT paying this much for unemployment is allowing more people to stay home. While it would drive me nuts, it is the way for so many. It is not usually their career, but just a job to them and for so many when they weigh the pros and cons of $$, free, time, expenses, ETC.......yeay, the govt is enabling them
You make some fair points. I think that many of these points are where we disagree philosophically and I respect that. The child care issue is a huge one and so is the fact that they are making more at home, which still is a shade above poverty, than a full-time job would pay. So while the government is paying a large chunk of money for unnecessary unemployment, there are many other factors involved as well. But your point is well taken and I cannot disagree with your argument for those choosing to not return to work.

It makes those stores less profitable. Business make decisions based on profit. Their resources are better utilized in more profitable markets.