Let's Start A Good Thread. Best Concerts you've Ever Attended !

2manyBats

Lets Face it, Life as usual has Gone away for awhile ! Made me think about what Our Kids are missing out on !

So ..... Let's Post the Best Concerts you've Attended ! the One you Still Want To See & The One you Wished you Had before they went Away !

Indoor

Outdoor

"In The Round"

Best Guitar Solo / Drum Solo

The Bands your Still wan to See or Wish you Did Before they Got Old !

Family Values Tour- early 2000s
Polaris Amphitheater

Obviously a host of bands: The final 3 were Snoop Dogg, Korn, Linkin Park

great night!

My Best Concerts:

In 1975 I attended REO Speedwagon's "You Get What You Play For" live concert. It's the best live concert I've attended.

The 2nd best were actually back to back Bruce Springsteen concerts held in Buffalo in 1981 over Labor Day weekend. Springsteen played for 4 hours each night yet the playlist only overlapped by about 50%. And in honor of Buffalo he even played Santa Clause is Coming to Town. As he noted it snows early in Buffalo so why the hell not play a Christmas song.

Any Good Rats concert

Southside Johnny at the University of Buffalo

The Who/Clash double header at Rich Stadium in Buffalo.

Elvis Costello at Buffalo States campus bar. This was only a couple of weeks before his SNL appearance that made him a star.

Meatloaf at the last concert ever held at Buffalo's Century Theater during a snow storm. It was a small crowd and no one had heard of Meatloaf yet though that would change a couple of days later with the release of Bat Out of Hell.

Chuck Mangione and the Rochester Phillharminic Orchestra at the Eastman Theater in Rochester NY.

Small venue...Christopher Cross

Large Venue...anyone or the 19 RUSH concerts I've attended....followed by any of the 5 Boston Concerts....

I once got so drunk at a Santana show at Blossom - drinking some sort of "wisdom punch", HairyBuffalo Junglejuice - that I could not open my eyes. I sat on the hillside listening to what still ranks as one of the best shows I ever heard. (y)o_O

The year was 1970 and we were in the French Quarter. Went to early show at Pete Fountain's Bar and saw Pete Fountain and then Went to Al Hirt's bar and saw Fats Domino best night of live entertainment ever.

Hard to pick "best", but....

Outdoor: CLE Municipal Stadium, The Who Tommy tour 1989

Indoor: The Band, Jeff Beck, Zappa, The Who

In the round: Front Row theater, Stephen Stills, The Band

Wierdest opening act/headliner: The original Agora, 1977, we went to see Tom Petty, who opened for...The Runaways

My Best Concerts:

In 1975 I attended REO Speedwagon's "You Get What You Play For" live concert. It's the best live concert I've attended.

The 2nd best were actually back to back Bruce Springsteen concerts held in Buffalo in 1981 over Labor Day weekend. Springsteen played for 4 hours each night yet the playlist only overlapped by about 50%. And in honor of Buffalo he even played Santa Clause is Coming to Town. As he noted it snows early in Buffalo so why the hell not play a Christmas song.

Any Good Rats concert

Southside Johnny at the University of Buffalo

The Who/Clash double header at Rich Stadium in Buffalo.

Elvis Costello at Buffalo States campus bar. This was only a couple of weeks before his SNL appearance that made him a star.

Meatloaf at the last concert ever held at Buffalo's Century Theater during a snow storm. It was a small crowd and no one had heard of Meatloaf yet though that would change a couple of days later with the release of Bat Out of Hell.

Chuck Mangione and the Rochester Phillharminic Orchestra at the Eastman Theater in Rochester NY.
Reo blast8ng headed down to OU to stay with now wife for weekend. WOW !!!!!!

Indoor - Between Aerosmith / Rush / Van Halen / Scorpions / Def Leppard ... & more - Go with RUSH

Outdoor
The Cars - had to be 1980 - Up at Pine Knob

"In The Round"
- Kenny Rodgers - Front Row - Was a Great Show w/ now wife

Best Guitar Solo / Drum Solo - It was the FIRM
-
Jimmy Page played inside the Pyramid Strobe, he was banging the Long Bow on a Cello
- Steve Vai was the Guitarist for the Solo David Lee Roth - OMG I couldn't hear the Next day !

Drum Solo - Neil Peart - Rush

Lets Face it, Life as usual has Gone away for awhile ! Made me think about what Our Kids are missing out on !

So ..... Let's Post the Best Concerts you've Attended ! the One you Still Want To See & The One you Wished you Had before they went Away !

Indoor

Outdoor

"In The Round"

Best Guitar Solo / Drum Solo

Indoor
Tool

Outdoor
Ozzfest, Lollapalooza or single band, Pantara

Drum Solo

Does dead count? Nirvana.

Last edited:
I've been to two in my life , so one is best and the other worst. I will go with REO Speedwagon with a slight edge over Willie Nelson who was too old to really sing when I heard him a couple years ago. I never could justify paying large sums of money to get beer spilled on me while people blocked my view of the stage and the sound was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

Front row seats at Riverbend in Cincinnati - Fabulous Thunderbirds opening act and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet
Front Row seats Riverfront Stadium - Rolling Stones

I've been fortunate with many good concerts but these two were most memorable because I was fortunate enough to get front and center for both of them.

Man....seen a good amount. Worked even more (under normal times I have an awesome side gig).

Indoor - probably Van Halen 1984 tour. But the Kiss reunion tour was great too. Too young to see them on my own during their prime and parents wouldn't take me. So this was sort of a bucket list concert.

Outdoor - it was mostly Buffett shows and they are fun shows. Also Metallica at buckeye lake but I don't remember much about that show. ☹️

Never seen a show in the round.

Eddie Van Halen for the guitar solo. I don't remember if Joe Perry did one with Aerosmith. Steve Vai was good too. I love drum solos but never saw Rush. All the others are about the same to me. I did see motley Crue but it was at buckeye lake and Tommy Lee couldn't do his tricks with the kit. Not even sure if he was doing that yet. But that would be entertaining.

Eagles. Want to see them but not the same now. Too young to see Zeppelin. Would have loved to seen them. Bob Marley. Need to see GnR yet.

Saw Beastie Boys at Hara around 1987-ish. License to Ill tour. That was a fun show.

Working concerts has exposed me to a variety of music and bands I otherwise wouldn't have known or seen. There are a lot of good, live hands out there. Get out and support them when they are allowed to tour again!

Never seen a show in the round.
I remember seeing a mag photo of Kiss in 1975 at some arena. The big flamethrowers were going, and you could see fans in the seats behind the stage by the light of the flames. I remember thinking that would be an interesting view. Then I saw Boston in 1977 at St John Arena. They sold cheaper seats behind the stage, I bought one, and thought it was a pretty cool view. Could watch the guitar players use their different foot pedals, and see the roadies better.

Saw a Styx concert on TV in the past year. Their current keyboard player had a rig on a pedestal that spun in a circle, he could turn it while playing and singing to fans in all directions. Not sure if the stage was in the center of the arena, but it could have been.

Queen (w/ Freddie Mercury), "Sheer Heart Attack Tour", February 7, 1975, Dayton (Palace Theater). With Kansas.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (w/Ronnie VanZant), "Gimme Back My Bullets Tour", May 15, 1976, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum). With Ted Nugent and Santana as opening acts.

The Stills-Young Band, "Long May You Run Tour", July 14, 1976, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum). With Poco as opening act.

Led Zeppelin, "1977 North America Tour", April 20, 1977, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum--2nd night in Cincy).

Queen (w/ Freddie Mercury), "Sheer Heart Attack Tour", February 7, 1975, Dayton (Palace Theater). With Kansas.

Lynyrd Skynyrd (w/Ronnie VanZant), "Gimme Back My Bullets Tour", May 15, 1976, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum). With Ted Nugent and Santana as opening acts.

The Stills-Young Band, "Long May You Run Tour", July 14, 1976, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum). With Poco as opening act.

Led Zeppelin, "1977 North America Tour", April 20, 1977, Cincinnati (Riverfront Coliseum--2nd night in Cincy).
I saw Skynyrd in April 1976, on Easter day, opening acts were the Outlaws and Golden Earring. LOUD show. Richfield Coliseum

Holy smoke

That woulda been fun!

It was. BTW Rich Stadium (where the Bills play) was a great concert venue out in the rural burbs of Orchard Park. The local authorities basically stayed out of the parking lots and before concerts you could tailgate just like before a Bills game. They even opened up their RV parking lot 3 days in advance and it was always packed for the concerts. It seemed like every year the Grateful Dead played the Rich for obvious reasons. It's alluded to in their song "Trucking".