Let's see you picks for the NE districts.

ENA2

In the past, several have previewed or commented on how NE Ohio District meets might go. I will Start with DIII for Team, but would like to read about DI and DII as well. and top Individuals if you like.

Boys DIII:
At Medina (4 qualifiers)
1. Columbia (surprise?) - young team/young coach = Hungry
2. Dalton... will have to have a solid #5
3. Elyria Catholic... nothing special... but enough
4. Smithville.... just a hunch

At trumball (6 qualifiers)
1. McDonald... if they want to win the district
2. Maplewood - should be an easy runner-up
3. South Range - their top kid(s) could make them touhger
4. Badger - Pretty good
5. Mineral Ridge - if healthy
6. Berkshire - some of there times maybe inflated

At GlenOak (4 qualifiers)
1. East Canton... could have 7 individual qualifiers
2. Canton Central Cath. - Have the front runner(s) and the pack
3. East Palestine will need to have a solid pack
4. Mogadore - up and coming program

WE will See how this turns out

Girls D2:
Glen Oak-SVSM, Northwest, Marlington, Tuslaw, Fairless
LCCC- Woodridge, Beaumont, Tallmadge, CLoverleaf, Hathaway Brown
Trumbull- Poland, Crestwood, Salem, Lakeview, Hawken
Madison- Chagrin Falls, Edgewood, Geneva, Perry, Jefferson

In the past, several have previewed or commented on how NE Ohio District meets might go. I will Start with DIII for Team, but would like to read about DI and DII as well. and top Individuals if you like.

Boys DIII:
At Medina (4 qualifiers)
1. Columbia (surprise?) - young team/young coach = Hungry
2. Dalton... will have to have a solid #5
3. Elyria Catholic... nothing special... but enough
4. Smithville.... just a hunch

Elyria Catholic is going to challenge Columbia for first. EC beat Dalton at Boardman with two of their top 5 taking the ACT

In boys D3, East Canton and McDonald are the cream of the crop. Canton CC and Maplewood will probably round out the top 4 next week.
Don't forget Springfield's girls in D2 at Glen Oak.

For boys DIII at Trumball there are only 5 Teams that qualify to the Boardman Region.... so Mineral Ridge and Berkshire will have to fight it out.

Here are some guesses for girls DIII

Trumball (6 teams qualify)
1. McDonald... the favorite
2. Maplewood - could be close
3. Mineral Ridge - came on last year
4. Berkshire - inflated times, but still good
5. Badger - Individual will help them score only 4
6. Pymatunng Valley - could be 5th with a good race
??? Kirtland could sneak in.

GlenOak (4 teams qualify)
1. Canton Central Catholic. - Won last year... if healthy will be there
2. East Canton - great pack/no front runner
3. Rootstqwn - another pack team
4. Mogadore - due to a couple single digit scorers
OR Waynedale / East Palestine could spoil if they compete like last year

Medina (4 teams qualify).
1. Gilmour Academy... no deep, but 1-5 is solid
2. Smithville - if GA slips up, they could win
3. Dalton - a solid pack... pretty consistent
4. Independence - top kids will have to do well... if not (Mapleton?)

Girls D2:
Glen Oak-SVSM, Northwest, Marlington, Tuslaw, Fairless
LCCC- Woodridge, Beaumont, Tallmadge, CLoverleaf, Hathaway Brown
Trumbull- Poland, Crestwood, Salem, Lakeview, Hawken
Madison- Chagrin Falls, Edgewood, Geneva, Perry, Jefferson
It's hard to get past how weak some of these Districts are. I started looking at girls Glen Oak. Hoban and Springfield have to be in the mix. I can't get past there. I tried to move on to the next District, but I keep thinking, Let me go back and look again. There has to be a team or two I'm missing. Two days later and I've made no progress.

LCCC looks about right.

DIII Boys
GlenOak
1. East Canton - They've been the best team in this district all season, and they've still got plenty returning for the next couple years.
2. Canton Central Catholic - Very good frontunner followed by a very good pack from 2-6. 5 of their top 6 are back next year, too.
3. East Palestine - Their front 3 will carry them past all but the first 2 teams.
4. Mogadore - I think their 3-5 can pull back the points they might need to overcome United's top 2 runners.
-----------------------------------------------
5. United - They got it done last year, and their front 2 could give them an advantage that they can hold onto.

Individual winner: Snellenberger, East Canton with Scheatzle of Canton CC and Varner of Waynedale battling for 2nd.

I hate to sound like a broken record every year, but the 1 unknown for me is whether or not any of these teams are relying on soccer players. The 2nd round games of the NE District DII and DIII boys soccer tournament are at 1pm on Saturday. For example, United is playing East Palestine are on Saturday.

Medina
1. Columbia - Good frontrunner with solid depth behind him.
2. Elyria Catholic - Should be a good battle for 2nd, but I'll go with EC's depth from 1-5.
3. Dalton - The Kutz brothers are veterans who could carry Dalton to the runner-up spot.
4. Smithville - I'm thinking they have a big effort in them.
---------------------------------------------
5. Mapleton - One of the traditional small school powers of NEO XC. They have no seniors in their top 7, so a regional trip this year would give them a head start on next year.

Individual winner: Pettegrew, Columbia. Krese of Elyria Catholic could challenge as could Tillett from Cuyahoga Hts, but I notice he didn't run at the CVC Meet last weekend.

Trumbull
1. McDonald - Their top 3 will make them hard to beat these next 3 weekends.
2. Maplewood - Lacking an elite frontrunner but a great pack and still somewhat young.
3. Badger - Very good front 2 that might be enough to hold off South Range
4. South Range - Nothing flashy about them, but they get the job done. Their 3-5 runners could help them finish 3rd.
5. Mineral Ridge - None of the other teams have been close to beating them all season.
----------------------------------------------
6. I have no idea

Individual winner: Hopkins, Badger. I'm not sure how hard McDonald will race this weekend, or else I'd pick Rupe for the win.

Last edited:
DIII Girls
GlenOak
1. Canton Central Catholic - Their best is better than the other teams' best, IMHO. Will they run their best though?
2. East Canton - Better depth than Canton CC, but may get beat up front.
3. Rootstown - A solid pack team. They might even contend for runner-up.
4. Waynedale - Haven't taken a major step forward this year, but I think they are better than last year. Just a hunch that they'll find their way out.
-----------------------------------------------
5. Mogadore - Their frontunners could stake them to an advantage that a team like Waynedale can't overcome.
6. East Palestine - They have a knack for proving me wrong. See their district title from 2 years ago and their missing by only 1 or 2 points last year.

Individual winner: Murphy, Mogadore. Hamsher of Orrville will also contend. Neither was in this district last year.

Medina
1. Gilmour Academy - This might be the least amount of depth GA has had in awhile, but they've been beating all the other teams in this field all season.
2. Smithville - Maybe a bit inconsistent up front, but they have more than enough depth to be 2nd.
3. Dalton - Barring a disaster, I don't see another team pushing them for 3rd.
4. Independence - I'm having a horrible time coming up with a team to finish 4th here. What happened to some of Independence's young runners from last year's team that nearly made state?
---------------------------------------------
5. Andrews Osborne Academy - They could steal that 4th qualifying spot.
6. Mapleton - I'm not ready to count the Mounties out yet either.

Individual winner: Barton, Gilmour Academy. This could be a very entertaining race with Young of Mapleton, Clabaugh of Smithville, and Finton of Columbia all as additional contenders.

Trumbull
1. McDonald - Their studs up front make them go.
2. Maplewood - A mirror image of their boys team with a great pack, and they're still somewhat young.
3. Mineral Ridge - They've taken it up a notch the past few weeks.
4. Berkshire - The Badgers are at it again.
5. Badger - Stanhope will be followed by a bunch of runners from the top 3 teams which will create a big advantage for the Braves.
6. Pymatuning Valley - Their performance at Sim Earich last weekend's suggests they'll be able to do enough to be the 6th team out of this district.
7. Kirtland - They may have a shot at the 6th spot.
8. South Range - They're in the same boat as Kirtland.

Individual winner: Stanhope, Badger. Guerra of McDonald might give Stanhope all she can handle.

The rest of GlenOak
DI Boys
1. Louisville - They've been the class of this area all season.
2. Hoover - Glory days may be here again for the Vikings.
3. Jackson - I believe they will right the ship after last weekend's performance at their league meet.
4. Green - The Bulldogs are much improved from last year.
5. GlenOak - Their 2 frontrunners are a lot to handle. Plus, the Golden Eagles usually run well at home.
------------------------------------------
6. Perry - If they run like they did last week, they can crack the top 5.
7. Lake - The probable race winner is on this team, but is there enough behind him?
8. Hoban - They came out of nowhere last year to advance.

Individual winner: Moore, Lake. That would be 3 in a row for him.

DII Boys
1. St. Vincent-St. Mary - Should be an easy win unless the shame and embarrassment of running in the small school race at legends is too much for them bear.
2. Tuslaw - The Mustangs have improved significantly over the course of the season.
3. Springfield - Coach Gorby usually hits his mark.
4. Coventry - I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they have a recent track record of advancing.
5. Marlington - The Dukes need a big day from their #5 runner.
6. Fairless - The Falcons are in the same situation as Marlington. #5 has to come up big for the Falcons.

Individual winner: Graham, Marlington. If he stays upright, he'll win. Otherwise, I'm looking at Powers of St. V-M or Viront of Tuslaw.

DI Girls
1. Jackson - They had enough to hold off Green last weekend. They can do it again.
2. Green - A solid team all-around.
3. Lake - Their top 4 will get them out if healthy. Otherwise, Lake will fall out of the top 4.
4. Louisville - They seem to be putting it together at the right time.
------------------------------
5. GlenOak - It's probably foolish of me to pick against them on their home course, but the lack of a great frontrunner could be their undoing.
6. Perry - Their #1 is running well. What will the pack behind her do?
7. Hoover - It's hard to envision the jumping 3 teams listed ahead of them, but I'm not going to say that they can't.

Individual winner - Richards, Lake. Istinck from Jackson is capable of winning as well, but Richards has had her number this season.

DII Girls
1. St. Vincent-St. Mary - Probably the biggest lock of the entire weekend.
What's that you say? I have to come up with 4 more teams to advance from this district? Great googily moogily!
2. Hoban - They're easy to miss since they might be mistaken for a DI team.
3. Marlington - They look good 1-3 but are a bit vulnerable at 4-5, and they have no backup plan.
4. Northwest - Best girls team the Indians have had in a very long time.
5. Springfield - Coach Gorby will have them right where they need to be.
------------------------------------
6. Tuslaw - Their chances are greatly improved thanks to a veteran performer returning to their lineup. I'll assume she was able to knock off some rust last week. They have a major problem at the 5th spot though.
7. Fairless - The Falcons are neck-and-neck with archrival Tuslaw, so if you mention one, you have to mention the other.

Individual winner: Hagey, St. V-M. Her closest challengers will either be her teammates or Graham of Marlington.

Last edited:
All I know is, for those of us with razor-thin margins of error when it comes to our varsity-to-JV kids, we’ve got a tomato between our foot and the gas pedal for at least another week!

LCCC Boys.... Nice job by Keyestone! That is a performance to really build off of. They bring everyone back with a ton of positives.

I still think that Bay could be the number 2 team in the state for Division 2. It could be a good thing getting it handed to them like it was. The pressure is off and they are free to have some fun.

Cloverleaf and Tallmadge did exactly what was expected of solid teams.

Fairview was where Keyestone was last year and built on it and moves on.

The 5 teams I expected back on Aug 9th to advance have. Clearly the top District for D2 boys.

Did some math ... realizing that not everyone was "racing" on Saturday. This is regarding D2 girls that finished in the top 20 in their district, comparing their time to their Season Best (SB) from Milesplit.

Glen Oak had 0 SB, avg 42 seconds over SB.
LCCC had 3 SB, avg 32 seconds over SB.
Trumbull had 8 SB, avg 18 seconds over SB.
Madison had 12 SB, avg 11 seconds over SB

A lot depends on where the season best was run, too. One runner's season best at Wooster is different than another's season best at CVNP. Extreme examples, I know, but it illustrates the point.

A lot depends on where the season best was run, too. One runner's season best at Wooster is different than another's season best at CVNP. Extreme examples, I know, but it illustrates the point.
Take it for what it's worth. Or don't. With the data available, it seemed like the best way to roughly compare courses if you wanted to predict the regional.

I compared times for 80 runners. By this point in the season, I expect many of them have a SB that was run on a faster course. If their SB is at CVNP they probably only raced once?

Take it for what it's worth. Or don't. With the data available, it seemed like the best way to roughly compare courses if you wanted to predict the regional.

I compared times for 80 runners. By this point in the season, I expect many of them have a SB that was run on a faster course. If their SB is at CVNP they probably only raced once?

Hence the reason I said "extreme examples" to bring out the broader point.

Thanks for the work you put in.