Lebron to LA

I could be very wrong but I kind of think that's what he's looking for at this stage, especially for his wife and kids

Come on, Michael, you don't move to the second largest media market in the United States to fly under the radar. Remember, at this stage in his career, he's "chasing a ghost." His legacy is important to him. He is going to a franchise that is NBA royalty and the expectations will be tremendous, and if LeBron doesn't understand that, he will soon enough. There won't be as forgiving a fan base in Los Angeles as there was in Cleveland and Miami.

As for his business interests, James' production company is doing just fine, thank you, and he built it up during his time in Cleveland. I doubt a change of address is going to change that.

Come on, Michael, you don't move to the second largest media market in the United States to fly under the radar. Remember, at this stage in his career, he's "chasing a ghost." His legacy is important to him. He is going to a franchise that is NBA royalty and the expectations will be tremendous, and if LeBron doesn't understand that, he will soon enough. There won't be as forgiving a fan base in Los Angeles as there was in Cleveland and Miami.

As for his business interests, James' production company is doing just fine, thank you, and he built it up during his time in Cleveland. I doubt a change of address is going to change that.

Durant has proven time and time again he cares WAY too much what the public thinks of him (and somehow continually makes the choices that negatively affect that) so take this with a grain of salt:

ESPN: How much smarter of a businessman are you than you were, say, two years ago?
DURANT: I have mentors like Ron Conway [early-stage Google and PayPal investor] and Ben Horowitz [co-founder of Silicon Valley venture capital fund Andreessen Horowitz] and good friendships with guys like Chris Lyons [chief of staff for Andreessen Horowitz]. I mean, you just go to dinner with these guys, hang out with them. You start to meet these types of people at games. It's a little easier being here than saying, "Let's meet up when I come in from Oklahoma."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23532594/how-kevin-durant-building-silicon-valley-empire

Durant has proven time and time again he cares WAY too much what the public thinks of him (and somehow continually makes the choices that negatively affect that) so take this with a grain of salt:

Quote:
ESPN: How much smarter of a businessman are you than you were, say, two years ago?
DURANT: I have mentors like Ron Conway [early-stage Google and PayPal investor] and Ben Horowitz [co-founder of Silicon Valley venture capital fund Andreessen Horowitz] and good friendships with guys like Chris Lyons [chief of staff for Andreessen Horowitz]. I mean, you just go to dinner with these guys, hang out with them. You start to meet these types of people at games. It's a little easier being here than saying, "Let's meet up when I come in from Oklahoma."

Given that you can reach anybody at anytime anywhere in the world simply by clicking a mouse, you can conduct business easily in the comfort of your home.

I wonder if Durant picks up the check when he dines with his mentors?

Given that you can reach anybody at anytime anywhere in the world simply by clicking a mouse, you can conduct business easily in the comfort of your home.

Of course you can. However you have to admit it's easier to learn while sitting there in person.

The difference is the close connection now to Magic and all of the Hollywood elite that will be clamoring to get close to Lebron. His mentor today was not his mentor yesterday in Cleveland during the season.

The difference is the close connection now to Magic and all of the Hollywood elite that will be clamoring to get close to Lebron. His mentor today was not his mentor yesterday in Cleveland during the season.

I think LeBron has already experienced that, since he spent most of his recent off-seasons in Los Angeles. Certainly, the accessibility will be ramped up, but I don't think it's going to be a radical change to what he is already somewhat accustomed.

I will absolutely agree with you that Magic will widen that circle, but that was my point in a previous post: Magic is bigger than LeBron in Los Angeles, and always will be, regardless what success LeBron has with the Lakers. He won't be the favorite son, and THAT is a key difference between his current address and his previous stops. Now, he's the hired gun, not the coddled Kid from Akron.

I think the bottom line is there's a lot more business opportunity and big money investors in southern California and Silicon Valley than there are in northeast Ohio and Oklahoma. LeBron's already been the hired gun and the villain before. Even if he wants to be worshipped like the most famous person in town, he'd rather brand build and progress towards being a billionaire.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LeBron ramping up his Hollywood cred. Works his way into the producers guild
by selling Hustle to Legendary Entertainment. His company is going to do a reboot of House party which he will be a producer and there are plans for his headliner role in a new comedy. Obviously the move to LA frees up much needed time beyond what's required to be the best basketball player in the world.

If he is remotely successful in Hollywood he will be a billionaire before his new contract expires.

Looking more like he knew he would be a 153 million dollar Laker a while ago.
Well played young man.

I think LeBron has already experienced that, since he spent most of his recent off-seasons in Los Angeles. Certainly, the accessibility will be ramped up, but I don't think it's going to be a radical change to what he is already somewhat accustomed.

I will absolutely agree with you that Magic will widen that circle, but that was my point in a previous post: Magic is bigger than LeBron in Los Angeles, and always will be, regardless what success LeBron has with the Lakers. He won't be the favorite son, and THAT is a key difference between his current address and his previous stops. Now, he's the hired gun, not the coddled Kid from Akron.

Sometimes being the best player in the world, a father, a husband, a studio owner, a producer, an aspiring actor, working your way into the billionaire club might be just as rewarding as being the " coddled kid from Akron. " With that resume and his future who cares if Magic is the favorite son. He is using Magic as an end to a means. The Lakers need Lebron right now more than he needs them. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. As usual LeBron is in the Catbird seat and is looking like a genius despite was some in Ohio think.

Sometimes being the best player in the world, a father, a husband, a studio owner, a producer, an aspiring actor, working your way into the billionaire club might be just as rewarding as being the " coddled kid from Akron. " With that resume and his future who cares if Magic is the favorite son. He is using Magic as an end to a means. The Lakers need Lebron right now more than he needs them. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. As usual LeBron is in the Catbird seat and is looking like a genius despite was some in Ohio think.

My thinking is he was already headed there anyway. Of course, LA needs LeBron more than he needs them. That would have been true any place he landed. To me, the move to LA isn't because he is in "championship mode." He is positioning himself for life after basketball. Do you think this signals that his top priority is no longer basketball but business?

Yes and no. Business is a huge part of it, but I don't think he believed he had any realistic options, Cleveland or otherwise, to win a title over the next 1-2 years due to the Warriors' dominance.

Part of this move IMO is that he's willing to struggle for 1-2 years in LA because he knows that their rookie contract players will allow them to trade for or have the ability to sign two more star players over the next 24 months. Outside of LeBron and the two remaining years of Luol Deng's deal, the Lakers' payroll is going to be entirely rookie scale and expiring deals for the next two years.

By that time, Golden State will have to make some serious spending decisions, especially Thompson next summer, which could even the playing field some and make winning realistic again. Their tax situation may force them to downsize to having three stars (KD, Curry and Green) after this season. This time next year, I expect LeBron to at least have Leonard, maybe more.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My thinking is he was already headed there anyway. Of course, LA needs LeBron more than he needs them. That would have been true any place he landed. To me, the move to LA isn't because he is in "championship mode." He is positioning himself for life after basketball. Do you think this signals that his top priority is no longer basketball but business?

Good question. At his age and with the NBA miles he has on him the move gives him the best of both worlds. Hopefully there is a championship run in him and no doubt he will be focused. No idea if the bright lights and the Hollywood mogul lifestyle changes his priorities. He did a heck of a job juggling his career prior to this move.