Laurel High School

Had to be more than meets the eye. There are probably not a handful of coaches in the state with that kind of record in 6 years Thats an avg of 20-4 each year. Very strong!!

You're way off here Auggie... just saying... he's gone because he lost the faith of the very people you're talking about.

Lost faith with the Frosh class, admin, or both? I claim no insider knowledge on this specific team, I do know how the school runs though and this type of high profile program doesn't match up to their philosophy.

A couple names to keep an eye on:

1) Current AD David Meyer, he was the hoops coach prior to McMahon.
2) Former Midpark coach Kevin Braaten, his daughter is part of the strong Frosh class.

Lost faith with the Frosh class, admin, or both? I claim no insider knowledge on this specific team, I do know how the school runs though and this type of high profile program doesn't match up to their philosophy.

A couple names to keep an eye on:

1) Current AD David Meyer, he was the hoops coach prior to McMahon.
2) Former Midpark coach Kevin Braaten, his daughter is part of the strong Frosh class.

Braaten was on the staff this year as well. I'd be shocked if anyone gets it over him(maybe Meyer, but no one else in my opinion)

Believe it or not, we have this issue down here in Cincinnati at Saint Xavier. For some reason, they believe that athletic and academic success seem to not be compatible. Now I don't know if there were any issues with the old coach and he wanted to stretch things the rules by actively recruiting on AAU circuit (seems to happen a lot in girls basketball even with public schools). But having a program pursuing consistent excellence is not a bad thing. In fact, I would say that success breeds success and will catch the eye of all prospective students. Of courseX has had some success in football in the last 25 years but that is strictly due to the head coach (an alumnus) who should be coaching in a D1 college because he just that good of a coach and program manager. (And X's swim team is a totally different issue). But in other sports that X should be consistently outstanding, they are average at best with really good talent. I just don't think academic and athletic success are mutually exclusive (assuming on does not compromise one's integrity). Is that what is happening at Laurel?

Believe it or not, we have this issue down here in Cincinnati at Saint Xavier. For some reason, they believe that athletic and academic success seem to not be compatible. Now I don't know if there were any issues with the old coach and he wanted to stretch things the rules by actively recruiting on AAU circuit (seems to happen a lot in girls basketball even with public schools). But having a program pursuing consistent excellence is not a bad thing. In fact, I would say that success breeds success and will catch the eye of all prospective students. Of courseX has had some success in football in the last 25 years but that is strictly due to the head coach (an alumnus) who should be coaching in a D1 college because he just that good of a coach and program manager. (And X's swim team is a totally different issue). But in other sports that X should be consistently outstanding, they are average at best with really good talent. I just don't think academic and athletic success are mutually exclusive (assuming on does not compromise one's integrity). Is that what is happening at Laurel?
You are 100% on it. You can have both. Set a standard and a culture to have excellence in all areas. That is the message that need to be taught young and old alike in our world today!!! Think Win Win!!

Personally, I hope all the girls stay at the school. It is a bad look when a coach builds up a program and when he/she leaves, many on the team follow them to the new school.

That would require the coach being at a new school and the kids liking him... neither is true at this point

I keep looking for those ferns corner but I could not see them!!!

They took them down a few years back :) but you can see the rock wall behind the hoops. By the way unlike HB back in the day they will continue to play home games in the tiny school gym. The gym is tucked into a location between classrooms, always fun watching visiting fans wonder the halls looking for the gym.

They did just have a heck of signing day too last week, along with Taylor Thierry signing to play hoops at Ohio State they had the Div II state champ in golf sign with Penn State and a volleyball player sign with New Hampshire. Times are changing at Laurel where in the past 10 years or so their biggest signing was a diver going to the University of Cincinnati or Alex Cade going to Yale. Off the top of my head I think Thierry signing with tOSU is their 1st Power 5 signing in any sport in decades. Expect more focus when Mari Bickley and the rest of the class of 2023 sign LOIs.

Last edited:
They took them down a few years back :) but you can see the rock wall behind the hoops. By the way unlike HB back in the day they will continue to play home games in the tiny school gym. The gym is tucked into a location between classrooms, always fun watching visiting fans wonder the halls looking for the gym.

No kidding and I'm telling you, they don't lock up anything. I wandered darn near every building. Some nice art displays and stuff.

Laurel back in the Regional Finals. Will they be able to exercise the demons from last year?? Perry is very good and well-coached; very similar to West Branch last year... I think it will be a great game could go either way.

Laurel back in the Regional Finals. Will they be able to exercise the demons from last year?? Perry is very good and well-coached; very similar to West Branch last year... I think it will be a great game could go either way.

I think Laurel will be more ready this year. Add in the fact that there is limited attendance at these games will help them as they don't travel at all so an empty gym is par for the course.

I think Laurel will be more ready this year. Add in the fact that there is limited attendance at these games will help them as they don't travel at all so an empty gym is par for the course.
Saw both teams play (stream) the other night...Laurel looked dominate over CVCA. Perry just looked OK. I think Laurel is the real deal and will beat Perry handily...just my opinion

Laurel comes up just short losing 51-53. Nice games from Thiery & Bickley; tough day for Coach's daughter.

Vinton County having a once in a lifetime season. The population for the entire county is barely over 13,000. Good luck to the Vikings in the finals.

I’m from Cincinnati as well and I agree with most of your post. St. X Is an outstanding academically, but please don’t Pretend they don’t make exemptions based on on athletic prowess. You can preach about academics, but it’s about winning. I will give you X has higher standards, but they make exceptions based on athletics.

I’m from Cincinnati as well and I agree with most of your post. St. X Is an outstanding academically, but please don’t Pretend they don’t make exemptions based on on athletic prowess. You can preach about academics, but it’s about winning. I will give you X has higher standards, but they make exceptions based on athletics.
Only if they qualify academically. There are no compromises with that at all. They will not take a young man that is not able to get the work done. He will be miserable and they really try to take only the young men that will be successful there. The school was super competitive academically speaking when I was there in the 80's and has only gotten more so since.