Laurel High School

Tallone

Had to be more than meets the eye. There are probably not a handful of coaches in the state with that kind of record in 6 years Thats an avg of 20-4 each year. Very strong!!

Auggie

You're way off here Auggie... just saying... he's gone because he lost the faith of the very people you're talking about.
Lost faith with the Frosh class, admin, or both? I claim no insider knowledge on this specific team, I do know how the school runs though and this type of high profile program doesn't match up to their philosophy.

A couple names to keep an eye on:

1) Current AD David Meyer, he was the hoops coach prior to McMahon.
2) Former Midpark coach Kevin Braaten, his daughter is part of the strong Frosh class.

Lost faith with the Frosh class, admin, or both? I claim no insider knowledge on this specific team, I do know how the school runs though and this type of high profile program doesn't match up to their philosophy.

A couple names to keep an eye on:

1) Current AD David Meyer, he was the hoops coach prior to McMahon.
2) Former Midpark coach Kevin Braaten, his daughter is part of the strong Frosh class.
Braaten was on the staff this year as well. I'd be shocked if anyone gets it over him(maybe Meyer, but no one else in my opinion)

BASESWIMPARENT

Believe it or not, we have this issue down here in Cincinnati at Saint Xavier. For some reason, they believe that athletic and academic success seem to not be compatible. Now I don't know if there were any issues with the old coach and he wanted to stretch things the rules by actively recruiting on AAU circuit (seems to happen a lot in girls basketball even with public schools). But having a program pursuing consistent excellence is not a bad thing. In fact, I would say that success breeds success and will catch the eye of all prospective students. Of courseX has had some success in football in the last 25 years but that is strictly due to the head coach (an alumnus) who should be coaching in a D1 college because he just that good of a coach and program manager. (And X's swim team is a totally different issue). But in other sports that X should be consistently outstanding, they are average at best with really good talent. I just don't think academic and athletic success are mutually exclusive (assuming on does not compromise one's integrity). Is that what is happening at Laurel?

Tallone

Believe it or not, we have this issue down here in Cincinnati at Saint Xavier. For some reason, they believe that athletic and academic success seem to not be compatible. Now I don't know if there were any issues with the old coach and he wanted to stretch things the rules by actively recruiting on AAU circuit (seems to happen a lot in girls basketball even with public schools). But having a program pursuing consistent excellence is not a bad thing. In fact, I would say that success breeds success and will catch the eye of all prospective students. Of courseX has had some success in football in the last 25 years but that is strictly due to the head coach (an alumnus) who should be coaching in a D1 college because he just that good of a coach and program manager. (And X's swim team is a totally different issue). But in other sports that X should be consistently outstanding, they are average at best with really good talent. I just don't think academic and athletic success are mutually exclusive (assuming on does not compromise one's integrity). Is that what is happening at Laurel?
You are 100% on it. You can have both. Set a standard and a culture to have excellence in all areas. That is the message that need to be taught young and old alike in our world today!!! Think Win Win!!

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Personally, I hope all the girls stay at the school. It is a bad look when a coach builds up a program and when he/she leaves, many on the team follow them to the new school.

MCGal

That would require the coach being at a new school and the kids liking him... neither is true at this point