Last word on Hoban v Massillon: Chris Easterling

my2sense

Thought we could use one more thread on the topic lol. He's a Tiger honk but takes a balanced look at the game:
https://www.cantonrep.com/story/spo...igh-school-football-playoffs-loss/6373053002/

"Massillon, which prided itself on its physicality and running game, especially through the first five playoff games, managed just 1.1 yards per carry on 28 carries. The Tigers also were just 3-of-12 on third-down conversions. "

"Massillon, which prided itself on its physicality and running game, especially through the first five playoff games, managed just 1.1 yards per carry on 28 carries. The Tigers also were just 3-of-12 on third-down conversions. "
Knight's are the better team.

Here are some numbers on Massillon, La Salle, and Hoban-- Football Adjusted Enrollment

Massillon - 552 -13th place on DII Division list.
La Salle - 541 - 21th place on DII Division list
Hoban - 465 - 58th place on DII Division list

I like how this has turned into a rivalry of sorts. I would like to see Hoban and Massillon play during the season. I can't imagine what the crowd Friday night would have been like had the great party crasher Covid not been around.

I like how this has turned into a rivalry of sorts. I would like to see Hoban and Massillon play during the season. I can't imagine what the crowd Friday night would have been like had the great party crasher Covid not been around.
If both made it thru the 14-game run of a normal (non-Covid) season and playoffs, the game probably would've been on a Thursday night in December at Benson, a repeat of 2018.

EDIT: added 'in December'

Last edited:
At the end of the day, Moore was schooled by Tyrell, it was like watching Ohio State against Michigan State. Secondly, the Tigers were soft on the interior lines, it was like men against boys and had zero QB play. I realize that the Tiger diehards will try to spin this as Hoban recruits, coming from most public school programs, this could be believable, but not from Massillon. Massillon recruits more than any program in NE Ohio, they know that if they had to solely play kids from Massillon, the dream of winning a legit state title is non existent, the number on recruits are available through OHSAA, the numbers don't lie, and Massillon has been one of the few schools sanctioned twice for illegal recruiting, not sure if anyone else has been hit twice. Thus if this was the NCAA, they would be facing the Death Penalty for their next illegal recruitment. You have seen in the past few days that the Massillon blowhards have went into a bunker mentality, they know their over priced coach (and his wife) were taken to the woodshed, they know that on the field they looked like Marlington against McKinley, but they will come up for air in the next few weeks. Many of them need Yappi to sustain their life, so we can expect the following posts: 1) how many paper titles they have, with complete disregard for ever winning an actual title on the field, 2) how they defeated Hoover, McKinley and Perry, thus they will again crown themselves champs of a league that has rejected them twice, 3) how Hoban had recruits from numerous counties, thus ignoring their own recruiting and 4) that the Federal Leagues demise is coming, as McKinley is leaving, they state this like its a Holy Grail, but they never have any facts to base this on, just they know someone that knows someone, completely dismissing the fact that the AD as Massillon would capitulate to get the Tigers in the FED, he even applied to the Suburban League, because he realizes that the Tigers need a league for all sports. We can expect the regular angry Tiger fans to lash out in the next couple of weeks, but at the end of the day, the Tigers have still never won a legit State Title in Football, the odds of them winning one next season are doubtful with the loss of quality athletes, and they will never win one in any other sport.

If both made it thru the 14-game run of a normal (non-Covid) season and playoffs, the game probably would've been on a Thursday night in December at Benson, a repeat of 2018.

EDIT: added 'in December'

Actually if it was a normal season without any covid influence, then Hoban and Massillon would have met this past Friday in the Region 5 Championship game.

Actually if it was a normal season without any covid influence, then Hoban and Massillon would have met this past Friday in the Region 5 Championship game.
But, there's no way to know now how they would've divided the teams into regions in a non-Covid 2020. Same as 2018? Same as 2019?

My reply was made based on a 'what if?' using the region assignments as they were this year (i.e. Hoban-Massillon meeting in the final, not regional final) with the standard playoff schedule.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, Moore was schooled by Tyrell, it was like watching Ohio State against Michigan State. Secondly, the Tigers were soft on the interior lines, it was like men against boys and had zero QB play. I realize that the Tiger diehards will try to spin this as Hoban recruits, coming from most public school programs, this could be believable, but not from Massillon. Massillon recruits more than any program in NE Ohio, they know that if they had to solely play kids from Massillon, the dream of winning a legit state title is non existent, the number on recruits are available through OHSAA, the numbers don't lie, and Massillon has been one of the few schools sanctioned twice for illegal recruiting, not sure if anyone else has been hit twice. Thus if this was the NCAA, they would be facing the Death Penalty for their next illegal recruitment. You have seen in the past few days that the Massillon blowhards have went into a bunker mentality, they know their over priced coach (and his wife) were taken to the woodshed, they know that on the field they looked like Marlington against McKinley, but they will come up for air in the next few weeks. Many of them need Yappi to sustain their life, so we can expect the following posts: 1) how many paper titles they have, with complete disregard for ever winning an actual title on the field, 2) how they defeated Hoover, McKinley and Perry, thus they will again crown themselves champs of a league that has rejected them twice, 3) how Hoban had recruits from numerous counties, thus ignoring their own recruiting and 4) that the Federal Leagues demise is coming, as McKinley is leaving, they state this like its a Holy Grail, but they never have any facts to base this on, just they know someone that knows someone, completely dismissing the fact that the AD as Massillon would capitulate to get the Tigers in the FED, he even applied to the Suburban League, because he realizes that the Tigers need a league for all sports. We can expect the regular angry Tiger fans to lash out in the next couple of weeks, but at the end of the day, the Tigers have still never won a legit State Title in Football, the odds of them winning one next season are doubtful with the loss of quality athletes, and they will never win one in any other sport.
Moore was a lot smarter when he had Jeremy Larkin and that bunch at LaSalle.....

But, there's no way to know now how they would've divided the teams into regions in a non-Covid 2020. Same as 2018? Same as 2019?

My reply was made based on a 'what if?' using the region assignments as they were this year (i.e. Hoban-Massillon meeting in the final, not regional final) with the standard playoff schedule.

They released the original regional assignments in April and Massillon with the other Stark teams were in Region 5 with Hoban. It was only because of covid that caused them to change back to Region 7.

I hope Massillon continues to build to win a State Title and if takes getting the best kids from 4 or 5 surrounding counties to compete with the Catholic powers, then so be it....When in Rome, right?

I hope Massillon continues to build to win a State Title and if takes getting the best kids from 4 or 5 surrounding counties to compete with the Catholic powers, then so be it....When in Rome, right?

Hamilton County is lot further away from Stark County than 4 or 5 surrounding counties, keep spinning though.

A lot of your fanbase brings it on themselves.

0-48 and counting.....

A lot of your fanbase brings it on themselves.

0-48 and counting.....

As do posts like this and the one above from Starkcountylegend.

Hoban was the superior team. No shame in losing to them. Do you think Massillon should be ashamed of losing to Hoban?

Hoban was the superior team. No shame in losing to them. Do you think Massillon should be ashamed of losing to Hoban?

Claiming you don't recruit while getting busted multiple times, while accusing others brings post like mine.
Nice deflection though.
You left out...Hamilton County is lot further away from Stark County than 4 or 5 surrounding counties, keep spinning though.

Moore was a lot smarter when he had Jeremy Larkin and that bunch at LaSalle.....
The thing that the Massillon loons actualy believe is that Moore had something to do with the players that won state in 2014 and how they decided on La Salle. A Colerain poster said it best when he posted that the table was set when Moore got to La Salle which is true. The only thing Moore had to do was eat the food already on the table when he arrived

..... absolutely no shame in losing in the state finals to Hoban, LaSalle, or anybody. Just reaching the state finals is a hell of an achievement, and the Massillon folks should feel proud. Now, hanging all them paper banners when you've never actually won a state championship on the field ought to make you blush a little bit.

The thing that the Massillon loons actualy believe is that Moore had something to do with the players that won state in 2014 and how they decided on La Salle. A Colerain poster said it best when he posted that the table was set when Moore got to La Salle which is true. The only thing Moore had to do was eat the food already on the table when he arrived
Now you're speaking Nate's language

The race for the best recruits. I guess getting kids to buy in to the system and leave their egos at the door is the challenge. I mean these teams get kids from all over. It ain't hard to win like that

The race for the best recruits. I guess getting kids to buy in to the system and leave their egos at the door is the challenge. I mean these teams get kids from all over. It ain't hard to win like that
Guess it depends on who you are talking about? ?‍♂️

Guess it depends on who you are talking about? ?‍♂️
I really wish you guys knew what was going on. Hoban is grossly recruiting kids from inner city akron and from a county away. So disgusting.

Massillon moving akron/cincy/orrville kids into basements and condos is all about academics and saving these young men. Totally different. Btw, have you seen the indoor facility?

"There was a moment early in the second quarter when Hoban looked to be surrendering a bit of the momentum it had found in gaining a 14-0 lead. Knights' quarterback Shane Hamm had just thrown an interception to the Tigers' Austin Brawley — his only throw that wasn't caught by a teammate — and Massillon had the ball at the Hoban 25.

On the very next play, Davis cut in front of Ballard on a post route and picked off a Catrone pass at the Knight 8. While it didn't turn into more points for Hoban, it did cut off one of the few true scoring chances for the Tigers."