Largest State Championship Game Victory Margins

Not sure how up to date this is, but this is on the OHSAA website.

Absolutely. A group of seniors that were hungry to avenge their loss in the state game the year prior. Jordan Leininger was a monster! Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they put their freshman team in and they were scoring on Shadyside's Varsity.
Shady side coach did declare themselves public school champs after the game though.

Unsure if they put up a sign for it though.

I don’t remember any of that from Shadyside’s coach. The only quotes I found were very respectful...

Shadyside coach Mark Holenka was not one of them.
"They could have had 103," Holenka said. "The score didn't bother me. If we had lost 21-20, I'd be hurting worse.
"They were like a freight train. We got beat by a bigger, faster, stronger team."

That DSJ team was embarrassed by what happened the year before and were not going to let it happen again. Shadyside's coach was no problem. Some of their fans hurled some choice words at us after the game. And we had some sports reporters from NE and SE Ohio who accused DSJ of everything but murdering Hoffa. Fun times.

1997 Liberty Center gets in the playoffs on a technicality, survives the undefeated defending state champ Marion Pleasant 21-19 then rolls undefeated Patrick Henry 40-14, then undefeated Apple Creek Waynedale 44-8 and then undefeated Amanda Clearcreek 49-8 for the title for what was at the time the 3rd highest margin all time. The only team to beat 4 undefeated teams to win a title before the expansion.

I do remember the Shadyside fans screaming about that beat down by DSJ. I reminded them that they didn't seem to have a problem with the 71-0 beating they put on Beallsville in a playoff game a few years before. Obviously also a 71-point margin.

That 77-6 game and 71-point margin is the largest margin in a state title game but it is not the largest point margin in a playoff game.

Can anybody tell me the final score and teams involved in that game?

I do remember the Shadyside fans screaming about that beat down by DSJ. I reminded them that they didn't seem to have a problem with the 71-0 beating they put on Beallsville in a playoff game a few years before. Obviously also a 71-point margin.

That 77-6 game and 71-point margin is the largest margin in a state title game but it is not the largest point margin in a playoff game.

Can anybody tell me the final score and teams involved in that game?

Would that have been DSJ over Minster 76-0 in 1999?

I was actually in attendance for both Marion Local beatings of Mogadore. Very impressive because Mogadore had quality teams both seasons.

I was actually in attendance for both Marion Local beatings of Mogadore. Very impressive because Mogadore had quality teams both seasons.
I was at one of them. (didn't help that MOG coach goes for it fourth down at like their own 20 early in the game),

The other time watched it at a bar in Chickasaw. They gave free jello shots for every MSML score.

They ran out at halftime!

We have a winner! Good job.

There have been two other playoff games that had larger than 71-point margins. Can you name them also?
2012, Week 11 (D4, R14): Ottawa-Glandorf 72-0 over Clearview
2011, Week 11 (D5, R20): Pleasant 79-7 over Summit Country Day

This game went downhill from the opening kickoff for Summit. Summit actually covered the kick well and the hit on the ball carrier was so hard the ball popped out but another Pleasant player snatched it out of the air and scampered all the way for a TD. It continued down hill after that for The Knights. Summit eventually lost their star running back to injury and SCD has never had any depth. It actually got embarrassing in the second half when Pleasant tried to show mercy by running nothing but QB sneaks at one point. Unfortunately it was a Perfect Storm kind of scenario for Summit.

Minster got into the playoffs at 5-5 that year. I think they had a number of players/seniors suspended for that playoff game at DSJ.

That was the year the playoffs expanded to 8 teams/region. In prior years Minster would not have qualified and from that result maybe they should not have that year either.

Correct on both. Good job.

The 79 scored by Marion Pleasant represents the most points scored by one team in a playoff game......so far anyway.

Prior to the expansion in 1999 there was only one time when a team scored 70 points in a playoff game. Since then there have been 16, 11 of them in the 1st round including two this year. I'm sure the proliferation of spread offenses is a contributing factor to the increased scoring but the expansion of the playoffs may be as big or a bigger factor. By all means lets add more teams to the playoffs. Lets make the football regular season as irrelevant, in terms of the post season, as the regular season in all the other sports. It seems some people are not going to be happy until that is the case .:)

Yep Mogadore was totally beat but who can forget what was called the biggest comeback ever in a state title game when Mogadore came back to beat the great St. Henry team in 1996!! A game for the ages...I was there!!