Lance Palmer

TKrebs

Lance Palmer, former St. Ed's 4x state champ and Ohio State AA, is fighting (MMA) tonight on NBC Sports Network at 11:00pm. Perfect follow-up to NCAA finals.

Lance rebroke his hand in the first round. Didn't see the fight, but that always factors into a fighters psyche and game plan

Lance rebroke his hand in the first round. Didn't see the fight, but that always factors into a fighters psyche and game plan

That's too bad! He also got kicked in the sack twice HARD!
He didn't shoot on the guy at all.
I don't think he would have beat that dude without his hand issue.
He was freaking wicked!
I really felt bad for lance and was hoping they would stop it.
He was bleeding all over the place.

I would have liked to see Lance make a complete commitment to getting that fight to the ground. I don't understand why elite wrestlers in MMA often abandon their area of expertise during fights. Elite wrestlers should fight like Ben Askren. Take the guy down, control him, and inflict damage from there.

I caught the very end when Lance was already leaking all over the mat. He shot a single with 30 seconds left and the commentator said that was his first shot of the fight...sounds like Lance was off his game last night.

Last edited:
I watched the entire fight and I have to say that it was not the Lance Palmer that I remember officiating years ago. I don't claim to know or understand MMA type fighting but I can say that he was no where close to scoring at any time.
As for the blood, YOW!!!

I watched the entire fight and I have to say that it was not the Lance Palmer that I remember officiating years ago. I don't claim to know or understand MMA type fighting but I can say that he was no where close to scoring at any time.
As for the blood, YOW!!!

"As hard as it might be for fans to believe, very seldom do we have any clue who the wrestlers are."

???

"As hard as it might be for fans to believe, very seldom do we have any clue who the wrestlers are."

???

I am assuming you are pointing at me and thinking there is some sort of issue?
Let's be a little realistic here.
Lance was a four time AA at OSU and a four time OHSAA champion, right?
Plus, the intent of this particular post is to let wrestling fans know that he was fighting last night.
Read very closely and my comment was that we "seldom" have any idea who the wrestlers are. Of course there are exceptions. Lance happens to be one who, in his day, everyone knew. Didn't mean too much when he got on the mat and got to work.
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that in any given event, I don't know but maybe 1 or 2 wrestlers in 100. Maybe not that many. If I know them personally (like I know the family), I stay completely away from their matches. I would NEVER do them. I know the coaches much better. Even then, the contest comes down to red and green and their ability on the mat.
Just trying to stir the pot, I guess.

"Even then, the contest comes down to red and green and their ability on the mat."

Jim, your integrity was never being questioned, my apology if that's what your reading. The sport of wrestling is so unique in terms of the interaction that occurs between athletes, coaches, and officials. If you say you know only 1 or 2 out of 100 I'll take you at your word, but my experience tells me you are quite the exception. Spending entire weekends together at tournaments throughout the year makes it almost impossible not to know the wrestlers, coaches and officials participating on Saturday nights.

Jim, your integrity was never being questioned, my apology if that's what your reading. The sport of wrestling is so unique in terms of the interaction that occurs between athletes, coaches, and officials. If you say you know only 1 or 2 out of 100 I'll take you at your word, but my experience tells me you are quite the exception. Spending entire weekends together at tournaments throughout the year makes it almost impossible not to know the wrestlers, coaches and officials participating on Saturday nights.

No problem.
Just so I would know that I wasn't blowing smoke, I took a look at the Brecksville finals results. Turns out that I knew a few names for various reasons. Keep in mind that it does not mean that I know the kid.

I knew of Decatur because I had his final in 2015, Brezovec because I saw him as a youth wrestler 6 years ago, Freeman because he is a defending champ from a school near me, and Vaugh because he is kind of hard to miss.
Additionally I knew of Russell and Brown because this years final between them was a semi last year and was probably the best match I had all year.
Keep in mind that with the exception of Vaugh, if I saw any of the finalists in street clothes I doubt that I would have a clue who they are.
Coaches, them I know. We see each other year after year and I have been around a long time.

In the mean time, my point about Lance was that we all know how "bad" he was on the mat. It is really hard for me to imagine him getting beat up like he did.