Lakota East, Lebanon, and Oak Hills girls in 3-way tie at Lebanon Invitational

I'm trying to educate myself, but I can't get past that the proof that there are no tie breakers in cross country can be found by reading the "Tie Breaking Rules" for cross country.

"First, let's look at the NCAA tie-breaker wording first:"

"...ties in team scoring shall be resolved by comparing the sixth-place finishers from the tying teams. The team with the best sixth-place finisher shall prevail. If one team does not have a sixth-place finisher, the team with the sixth-place finisher shall prevail."

Prevail and win are synonyms right? “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is."
Oh stop it, you commoner you!

To be fair to our friend...I'll post a story about this commoner's experiences with rules myths.

When I first started officiating, 20+ years ago, I feel had a pretty good knowledge of the NFHS rules for my age and experience. It wasn't long before I was asked to work a couple small school NCAA meets (both track and cross country). I didn't have access to an NCAA rules book (they weren't freely available online at the time) and just went with the explanations that more experienced people (officials and coaches) gave me for some differences between the two. The first was that the NCAA doesn't break ties in field events. I was told to score them as a tie, period. And it wasn't just one person...several agreed that they didn't break ties. The second was that there was no cross country tie breaker. They just scored them as a tie. Since this seemed to jive with my earlier experience with the field events, I just went with it.

Years later, I downloaded a copy of the NCAA rulebook when they started making them available online for free. I started reading through it and realized that so many of the things I thought I knew simply weren't true. It probably started from people being lazy and not wanting to bother breaking ties for 15th place that didn't matter and ballooned from there until it just became accepted practice that "NCAA doesn't break ties."

I was our throws coach for a few years. It always bothered me that the Disc results would come in other than to the nearest lesser inch. 110'-6 1/2" etc...would upset me. It's 110'-6". Everything to the nearest inch. When I took over and started to do it at our home meets, I got so much hassle from other coaches and parents etc, that I started just reading off what was on the tape. Even though I knew I was right, I just didn't have the energy to argue every single meet. I go to meets all the time where they measure from the center of the hole the shot makes and not the nearest point of impact. I don't even speak up. Sometimes in the disc, you are lucky to be withing 6"... 1/2" or 1/4" is insane.

The earliest I could find was an 1898 unofficial world championship in Paris: England 21 France 69, but I wasn't motivated to look beyond Wikipedia Even though I think your question was both ironic and rhetorical, I was curious. The person listed as the winner of the race was born in Mississippi 4 years after the race according to Wikipedia.

All three teams ran at VOA today, Oak Hills in the first race, and Loveland and East in the second race . I took the times of all three teams, and came up with East 29, Oak Hills 40, Loveland 51.

Race results from Finishtiming. Race A Mason 40, Oak Hiils 63, St Ursula 90, Turpin 102 Race B Lakota East 28, Loveland 75, Walnut Hills 85, Sycamore 144

Comparing Mason to East based on today's race times Mason 24 East 36.