KY basketball 2017/2018

There was an NCAA rule passed recently but I don't remember the specifics. Something like schools can't hire coaches and/or parents of recruits for a 2 year period, I think? Then that would prevent Memphis from being a landing point if they hire Penny. Maybe someone else can clarify.

How did Mizzou get around hiring Michael Porter's dad? That rule only for head coaches

How did Mizzou get around hiring Michael Porter's dad? That rule only for head coaches

Ah, just football not basketball. And it's for non-field coaching positions. My bad

In football, during a two-year period before a prospective student-athlete's anticipated enrollment and a two-year period after the prospective student-athlete's actual enrollment, an institution shall not employ (or enter into a contract for future employment with) an individual associated with the prospective student-athlete in any athletics department noncoaching staff position or in a strength and conditioning staff position.

This definition includes, but is not limited to, parents, legal guardians, handlers, personal trainers and coaches. An individual who meets this definition retains such status during the enrollment of the prospective student-athlete at the institution.

That Buffalo team looked really good. Cats have their hands full with their lightning quick guards, and the overall energy they play with as a team, but these Cats will defend significantly better than the Cats of Arizona.

I'll admit, I did pick Davidson to beat UK. I hope I was wrong about the potential of this team. Would love to see them make a run at another Final 4 and beyond.

Made it through the 1st weekend, very happy their season continues and now have to be the favorite to win the South. Here's hoping we can talk about another Final 4 Saturday evening.

Cal quietly doing a nice job with this group. They have gotten better during the year and peaking at right time. Need Vanderbilt able to play this weekend too. They have their limitations with shooting woes at times and turnovers but they have accepted their roles it seems.

Excited for next year with a lot of players returning.

Shai had a horrible game. Tons of turnovers and bad shooting from Kentucky did them in (especiallt at the free throw line)

Should be a pretty good team next year with all that will return and another pretty good class coming in. I'm not sure how anyone besides Knox would even consider going pro. Shai had been shooting up draft boards because of his recent play but he didn't look like he's ready last night against some pretty good defense.

14red has been waiting to say that. He has never had a sophomore or anyone stay for more than 1 year :laugh: i dont know if i would be excited about a lot of them returning. Another year playing together along with a decent class coming will set them up nicely. In reality a lot of those guys wont go to the NBA and succeed. Only one who has a shot imo is Knox. he may have the bulk of these guys stay more than one or two years.

To be fair they did form a handshake line and waited a bit before they went to the lockers, they also shook the hands of the opposing coaches. However they still should have waited for the celebration to be over.

Fwiw.....

Attachments

• DY-lrQCVAAAgnz1.jpg
    DY-lrQCVAAAgnz1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 88
To be fair they did form a handshake line and waited a bit before they went to the lockers, they also shook the hands of the opposing coaches. However they still should have waited for the celebration to be over.

I don’t blame the players, but Cal should’ve waited.

14red has been waiting to say that. He has never had a sophomore or anyone stay for more than 1 year :laugh: i dont know if i would be excited about a lot of them returning. Another year playing together along with a decent class coming will set them up nicely. In reality a lot of those guys wont go to the NBA and succeed. Only one who has a shot imo is Knox. he may have the bulk of these guys stay more than one or two years.

are you saying this because you think it's true or laughing after it because you know it's not?

just making sure i'm reading it correctly before i respond.

are you saying this because you think it's true or laughing after it because you know it's not?

just making sure i'm reading it correctly before i respond.

He only coaches one and done talent. He never has recruited a kid who wasnt a one and done.

He only coaches one and done talent. He never has recruited a kid who wasnt a one and done.

ummm, he's had plenty of guys who did NOT go pro after one year.

pretty sure the Harrison twins that got him to the final game a few years ago were sophomores.

ummm, he's had plenty of guys who did NOT go pro after one year.

pretty sure the Harrison twins that got him to the final game a few years ago were sophomores.

Sorry was being sarcastic. Mistakenly read your post thinking it was 14red. Been doing that a lot lately. I cant read good :laugh:

Sorry was being sarcastic. Mistakenly read your post thinking it was 14red. Been doing that a lot lately. I cant read good :laugh:

that's what i was wondering.

i agree he only TRIES to recruit "one and dones" but they don't all BECOME that is all i was saying.

Agreed. They cant all pan out. Occassionally he takes a flier on athletic guys like Cauley Stein and Lee. I like that this years class will have some of them be in college for an extended period of time. For Cal's system to work, you need a good mix of one and done talent along with some players who arent freshman. Cant totally rely on freshman talent

I think Coach K has the best system going, he gets the top talent and some players to stick around. Plus he is the best coach ever and that certainly helps.

I remember Coach Cal was heavily criticized in 2009-2010 for having all that talent (Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, etc) and not making the Final 4.

Coach K probably has 5 first-round draft picks on this team and didn't make the Final 4. I wonder if Coach K will hear similar criticisms...

Surprised to see Knox is actually considering coming back. I still think he leaves. Potential middle 1st round to late lottery. Saw one mock where he was selected 15th overall

Great point by yappi67 above.....will Coach K get roasted for underachieving with his most talented team ever this year?? You could also toss in Izzo at MSU this year as he has even said it is his most talented team and they get punked in sweet 16. Bridges and Jackson will both be lottery picks most likely. Just depends what the media wants to spin on these coaches.