Kneeling For The National Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have we seen many high school teams do this? Feel like it’s mostly NFL. Will support the players whether they kneel, stand, lock arms, etc.

Are most players in the locker room anyway?
Fans have been doing what they want for years.
Also kneeling for the anthem isn’t an “issue.”

I know of zero schools in Central Ohio where the anthem is played when the teams are on the field. In fact, some places just play an instrumental recording through the speakers while the fans are filing in.

Funny how people pick and chose what is respectful and disrespectful. When the Flag is actually treated correctly, I'll care. I come from a military family and my dad would laugh when a flag was displayed flat, or on advertising. That's not how the Flag is supposed to be treated. He had no problem with kneeling as a peaceful protest. It is my understanding that Kaepernick consulted a Green Beret (Nate Boyer ) who advised him to kneel as a sign of respect. That sort of gets lost. My wife's family, (not a single military person for 4 generations at least) are so disgusted by the kneeling that they spit fire. My son is active duty and has no problem with it. I'm not sure high school kids fully understand what they are doing, but a lot of people don't know what they are doing half the time.

I think the kneeling upsets people too much and is probably counter productive. I would hope that people can find another way to get the point across that is more unifying than confrontational. The kneeling might be well intended, but it's become devisive. How about people get off their high horses and start treating the flag with the proper respect!

There were military things that my dad would do too. In uniform, he would not say the pledge. He would stand at attention and salute in silence. Believe me, there were times that people would get into his face about it. He rarely said a word. I think it's part of military code.

Last edited:
The flag represents all the laws and rights and due process afforded to every citizen of the United States. Thus it represents the avenues for change, for righting wrongs, and for insuring your God-given rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And thus it boggles the mind to see the flag disrespected in any manner, as doing so is effectively saying you do not agree with our individual rights or that due process is not important. The flag represents your ticket to gaining justice when our institutions may have failed. The flag should be revered at all times - period.

Now, if a problem of police brutality or overreach exists, by all means protest that directly if you must. Stand outside the police headquarters or government buildings with your signs, run for office, become a police chief and change their procedures. There are a number of ways of effecting change ...........but all those ways are protected by what the flag represents.

I know of zero schools in Central Ohio where the anthem is played when the teams are on the field. In fact, some places just play an instrumental recording through the speakers while the fans are filing in.
That said, I’ll play ball with the OP’s question.

If the anthem is played when teams are on the field and players kneel I would... be fine with it. Not my lane to be upset over.

Funny how people pick and chose what is respectful and disrespectful. When the Flag is actually treated correctly, I'll care. I come from a military family and my dad would laugh when a flag was displayed flat, or on advertising. That's not how the Flag is supposed to be treated. He had no problem with kneeling as a peaceful protest. It is my understanding that Kaepernick consulted a Green Beret (Nate Boyer ) who advised him to kneel as a sign of respect. That sort of gets lost. My wife's family, (not a single military person for 4 generations at least) are so disgusted by the kneeling that they spit fire. My son is active duty and has no problem with it. I'm not sure high school kids fully understand what they are doing, but a lot of people don't know what they are doing half the time.

I think the kneeling upsets people too much and is probably counter productive. I would hope that people can find another way to get the point across that is more unifying than confrontational. The kneeling might be well intended, but it's become devisive. How about people get off their high horses and start treating the flag with the proper respect!

There were military things that my dad would do too. In uniform, he would not say the pledge. He would stand at attention and salute in silence. Believe me, there were times that people would get into his face about it. He rarely said a word. I think it's part of military code.

I really don’t care who, what, or why people don’t think it’s a big deal or think that kneeling is appropriate to do. It’s my conviction. It’s my moral compass that I show respect to a flag that demonstrates freedom and the blood that was spilled for it, and I will teach my family to do so as well. Personally, it makes me nauseous because it’s an act of attrition not activism.

I know this was an issue at my local school a few years ago. They decided the best case scenario was to keep the teams in the locker room. I don't think you'll see a single coach or school forbid it. Someone silently protesting causes me no harm

I didnt know most high schools even brought the teams onto the field for the national anthem?
My high school always did the anthem first and then the fight song as the team ran into the field. It actually surprised me when I started seeing games where the anthem was played after the players came out.

This is going to be an issue when high school football is next played. What are your thoughts?
In our league the players are still in the locker room for the NA.
Has always been that way.

Most schools in the Portage county league come out after the National Anthem.
Same with the MAC. Pretty sure they are all in the locker room.
Bands play the NA. Go into place for the teams to come out, etc.

The WBL has the players stand on the field, and to be quite honest it was pretty nice.

It seems logical to me for the teams to be present for the anthem. I mean, they're the ones everyone is there for. Where else do they play it when the participants aren't present? Basketball? Baseball? Soccer?

It seems logical to me for the teams to be present for the anthem. I mean, they're the ones everyone is there for. Where else do they play it when the participants aren't present? Basketball? Baseball? Soccer?
The only sporting events aside from football where I even see the anthem played or performed is basketball.

I really don’t care who, what, or why people don’t think it’s a big deal or think that kneeling is appropriate to do. It’s my conviction. It’s my moral compass that I show respect to a flag that demonstrates freedom and the blood that was spilled for it, and I will teach my family to do so as well. Personally, it makes me nauseous because it’s an act of attrition not activism.
So, you pick and chose! All the other things that are disrespectful are ok. Kneeling is not. So, I don't care who, what or why people think it's a big deal when they choose to be disrespectful in other ways. When they pull out that giant American Flag and have it laying flat, that is disrespectful. When my son-in-law's company has the american flag partially as part of their logo on a baseball hat, that is disrespectful. No less disrespectful. You do you. CHS1971 has the idea. I always stand. Probably always will. As much out of respect to my father, grandfather and son. Not going to flip out over someone trying to make a point. A rather good point none the less. Do I think it's some moral outrage that the flag is not flown correctly? No, they mean well. Same with kneeling. They mean well. How about we all live up to the ideal they are kneeling for and the need to kneel goes away.

So, you pick and chose! All the other things that are disrespectful are ok. Kneeling is not. So, I don't care who, what or why people think it's a big deal when they choose to be disrespectful in other ways. When they pull out that giant American Flag and have it laying flat, that is disrespectful. When my son-in-law's company has the american flag partially as part of their logo on a baseball hat, that is disrespectful. No less disrespectful. You do you. CHS1971 has the idea. I always stand. Probably always will. As much out of respect to my father, grandfather and son. Not going to flip out over someone trying to make a point. A rather good point none the less. Do I think it's some moral outrage that the flag is not flown correctly? No, they mean well. Same with kneeling. They mean well. How about we all live up to the ideal they are kneeling for and the need to kneel goes away.
And there's the rub - "the ideal they are kneeling for." Many don't support it.

What about the students section? This is where most of the issues will be, especially when you have an urban team playing a rural team in a playoff setting where tensions are high and neither community is sympathetic to the views of the other.

I do not go to a game to see politics.

I will not support any team who's coach allows his players to kneel during the National Anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.