Kirtland Football

Bball216

The word going around NE Ohio is that Kirtland is LOADED. They went 9-0 in a recent 7 on 7 that included teams like Euclid, Hudson and other much larger teams. Then they went PA and went unbeaten again. People were saying that is great - but it's only 7 on 7. This week they scrimmaged Mayfield and NDCL - both decent programs and crushed them. They scored on every possession behind their massive Oline. They have two kids over 300lbs and return two outstanding RBs. The quotes from the opposite coaches were things like "That is not a D6 team" and "that is the biggest team we will face this year" and "man are they tough and they play with a swagger". Kirtland is showing early why they are being talked about as possible state champs this year. They also seemed to be running some single back 4wr packages. That means the best running team in Ohio is also fully capable of passing. Very scary for the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

The word going around NE Ohio is that Kirtland is LOADED. They went 9-0 in a recent 7 on 7 that included teams like Euclid, Hudson and other much larger teams. Then they went PA and went unbeaten again. People were saying that is great - but it's only 7 on 7. This week they scrimmaged Mayfield and NDCL - both decent programs and crushed them. They scored on every possession behind their massive Oline. They have two kids over 300lbs and return two outstanding RBs. The quotes from the opposite coaches were things like "That is not a D6 team" and "that is the biggest team we will face this year" and "man are they tough and they play with a swagger". Kirtland is showing early why they are being talked about as possible state champs this year. They also seemed to be running some single back 4wr packages. That means the best running team in Ohio is also fully capable of passing. Very scary for the opposition.

At Kirtland, they just reload every year .... much like the Buckeyes.
Great coaching and continuity all the way to the early grades has made this a very impressive program.

I was impressed with the Kirtland kids last year in the state final. The game clearly didn't go the way they had hoped, but they still put together a drive late in the game (when a lopsided loss was inevitable) for a td and 2-pt conversion. It would have been easy to just throw in the towel, but they continued to fight.
I hope a MAC school can meet up with Kirtland in the state finals again this season.

This is Kirtland's year. Two All-Ohio rb's return, QB back from injury, and huge O-Line. May have a running clock on every team they play this year including the play-offs.

Waiting for Kirtland Fan to do his Lou Holtz imitation on Kirtland's prospects this season ;-)

Not sure if anyone is surprised, this is a program who’s worst season in almost a decade still resulted in making the regional championship. Laverde has built an absolute juggernaut.

I thought ML should win the MAC? Everyone else is playing for second. Marion Local only brought back two starters and killed Kirtland last year

Do not know where you get your info from but ML had more than 2 returning starters before the start of last season and quit being such a troll.

Not sure if anyone is surprised, this is a program who’s worst season in almost a decade still resulted in making the regional championship. Laverde has built an absolute juggernaut.

Yes he has. D-6 has 3 outstanding H.S. coaches : Chip Otten at Coldwater, Laverde @ Kirtland, and Tim Goodwin @ Marion Local

Do not know where you get your info from but ML had more than 2 returning starters before the start of last season and quit being such a troll.

About Marion Local: Four poll champions in The Associated Press state rankings made it to the title games in Canton. Marion Local is one, and this matchup will be the only No. 1 vs. No. 2 matchup of the weekend. The Flyers beat Cuyahoga Heights in last year’s title game, 21-17. This team has only two starters back, counting Notre Dame commit John Dirksen, a 6-foot-5, 305-pound offensive tackle. Dirksen did not play in last year’s state title game and missed the final 12 games with a broken leg. The defense has five shutouts, including four straight leading into last week’s 31-13 win vs. Liberty-Benton. The Flyers have held all but three of their opponents to single digits on the scoreboard.

Tiger is now reaping the benefits of the youth program. He is now getting the kids who started playing when they were very young. He seems to now have a deep and talented pipeline of talent that is very skilled. These kids have great work ethic as well as a winning pedigree. What he has built is the perfect blueprint for being successful. The problem is not many want to put in the effort Tiger and the staff at Kirtland has done to build a solid youth, middle school and jv program. This program is going to be very good as long a Tiger is there. He has young kids so expect this for awhile yet.

Why does Kirtland put together such a cupcake schedule? If they really want to be taken seriously in NE Ohio then they should play better schools. Benedictine in the early 2000s was in D3 but still scheduled powerhouse D1 schools during the regular season.

Why does Kirtland put together such a cupcake schedule? If they really want to be taken seriously in NE Ohio then they should play better schools. Benedictine in the early 2000s was in D3 but still scheduled powerhouse D1 schools during the regular season.

I’m pretty sure they’re taken seriously when you win 3 state titles and go to state 6 of 7 years. They have nothing else to prove. The reality is also they are in a league that takes up 7 games.

If someone isn't taking Kirtland seriously the last decade, then they haven't been paying attention.

Schools would prefer to be in leagues. If Ed's and ignatius could have a 7 game league schedule across all sports , they would take it in a second. That's why iggy paid the 3 Parma schools to play. You two don't schedule like you do out of it being your choice. You do it because nobody wants to be in league with you guys for a few reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirtland could upgrade their schedule pretty easily by "playing up" in their league. The CVC has had multiple tiers for all sports, and Kirtland (even though enrollment wise is pretty very low) could apply to the upper division with the bigger schools. Instead of destroying teams like Cardinal, Berkshire, and Fairport on a regular basis - the Hornets would be dealing with teams like West G, Perry, Beachwood, etc.

On the one hand, I would be very curious to see how Kirtland would fare against those schools. On the other hand, what is the risk/reward ratio for such a move? Kirtland, a DVI school, would be having a bunch of DIII teams on their schedule. Does that help them prepare for winning a state championship? We know that Kirtland has been incredibly successful even with having several opponents on their schedule each season that get blown out by halftime. Kirtland reloads every season. How much of that is helped by getting the 2nd string regular time against varsity opponents in 3rd and 4th quarters of these blowouts?

I just looked at their schedule. After playing one of the upper division teams (Chagrin Falls) for the last few years in non-conference play, Kirtland has added Geneva, another upper division CVC team, this year. Geneva is a DIII school with enrollment more than double of Kirtland.

I bet Kirtland would finish 2nd or 3rd place in the big school division. Perry is the only team I can't see them beating.

Kirtland could upgrade their schedule pretty easily by "playing up" in their league. The CVC has had multiple tiers for all sports, and Kirtland (even though enrollment wise is pretty very low) could apply to the upper division with the bigger schools. Instead of destroying teams like Cardinal, Berkshire, and Fairport on a regular basis - the Hornets would be dealing with teams like West G, Perry, Beachwood, etc.

On the one hand, I would be very curious to see how Kirtland would fare against those schools. On the other hand, what is the risk/reward ratio for such a move? Kirtland, a DVI school, would be having a bunch of DIII teams on their schedule. Does that help them prepare for winning a state championship? We know that Kirtland has been incredibly successful even with having several opponents on their schedule each season that get blown out by halftime. Kirtland reloads every season. How much of that is helped by getting the 2nd string regular time against varsity opponents in 3rd and 4th quarters of these blowouts?

I just looked at their schedule. After playing one of the upper division teams (Chagrin Falls) for the last few years in non-conference play, Kirtland has added Geneva, another upper division CVC team, this year. Geneva is a DIII school with enrollment more than double of Kirtland.

I bet Kirtland would finish 2nd or 3rd place in the big school division. Perry is the only team I can't see them beating.

In addition, Kirtland will play at Riverside next year. Riverside's enrollment may be triple the size. I am not sure how this benefits the Beavers at all other than a local community willing to travel for gate $$$.

I'm not sure many bigger schools would want to play Kirtland - especially this year. Ask the teams that have faced them in 7 on 7 or in scrimmages. Mayfield and NDCL are pretty good programs and Kirtland beat them up. People forget how small this school is. Kirtland has worked hard to create the perfect storm where coaches, kids, parents and community are all on the same page. It's very unique. First off the how many programs have high school kids coming out on the weekends to watch and support the youth teams ? Not many. These kids start at a young age wanting to be Hornets. The high school coaches know the youth players and parents by name - that is huge. Not only are all the Kirtland teams coached well - these kids work hard. I'm not sure many if any team lifts more. The weight room was being remodeled so it was off limits and kids broke in - to lift. People keep picking Marion Local to win D6 this year. That will change once people see this Hornet squad this season. If they stay healthy I'm not sure anybody (including ML) hangs with them. They are that good.

I'm not sure many bigger schools would want to play Kirtland - especially this year. Ask the teams that have faced them in 7 on 7 or in scrimmages. Mayfield and NDCL are pretty good programs and Kirtland beat them up. People forget how small this school is. Kirtland has worked hard to create the perfect storm where coaches, kids, parents and community are all on the same page. It's very unique. First off the how many programs have high school kids coming out on the weekends to watch and support the youth teams ? Not many. These kids start at a young age wanting to be Hornets. The high school coaches know the youth players and parents by name - that is huge. Not only are all the Kirtland teams coached well - these kids work hard. I'm not sure many if any team lifts more. The weight room was being remodeled so it was off limits and kids broke in - to lift. People keep picking Marion Local to win D6 this year. That will change once people see this Hornet squad this season. If they stay healthy I'm not sure anybody (including ML) hangs with them. They are that good.

I"ll go with Marion Local until proven otherwise, and despite your gushing over Kirtland after meaningless 7 on 7s.

Check the Lake County News Herald and read the scrimmage reviews as well as coaches comments. Pretty impressive.

7 on 7 usually means nothing, but in Kirtlands case it means something. In the past they have been run oriented and thrown only when they had to. Now you are saying they have a passing game in addition to two 1,000 yard backs? Scary!

If someone isn't taking Kirtland seriously the last decade, then they haven't been paying attention.

I am not trying to show Kirtland any disrespect. I just wish they would do what teams like Ursuline and Mooney did for years by playing top notch competition regardless of their Division. I think going 7-3 and 8-2 while playing top notch competition instead of going 10-0 against inferior competition would set them up better for the playoffs.No offense to these teams but blowing out Newbury and Wickliffe 56-0 is doing Kirtland no good. A hard fought win or even loss would expose their weaknesses and give them the opportunity to make adjustments prior to the postseason. Maybe they would not have lost the past couple of years if they were better prepared.

I am not trying to show Kirtland any disrespect. I just wish they would do what teams like Ursuline and Mooney did for years by playing top notch competition regardless of their Division. I think going 7-3 and 8-2 while playing top notch competition instead of going 10-0 against inferior competition would set them up better for the playoffs.No offense to these teams but blowing out Newbury and Wickliffe 56-0 is doing Kirtland no good. A hard fought win or even loss would expose their weaknesses and give them the opportunity to make adjustments prior to the postseason. Maybe they would not have lost the past couple of years if they were better prepared.

Ursuline and Mooney scheduled those games because of necessity, not because they wanted to. Kirtland lost the last 2 years because they faced superior teams, one being from their own conference (cuyahoga Heights).

I was impressed with the Kirtland kids last year in the state final. The game clearly didn't go the way they had hoped, but they still put together a drive late in the game (when a lopsided loss was inevitable) for a td and 2-pt conversion. It would have been easy to just throw in the towel, but they continued to fight.
I hope a MAC school can meet up with Kirtland in the state finals again this season.

Me too and that probably will happen.