"Kehres knew Campbell would be a good coach"

Heading out to watch the Cyclones take on the Longhorns this weekend.

If Dantonio steps down I think Campbell has a good shot at the job..... which should make Wolverines fans cringe! :D

Heading out to watch the Cyclones take on the Longhorns this weekend.

If Dantonio steps down I think Campbell has a good shot at the job..... which should make Wolverines fans cringe! :D

Campbell would be my first choice if I had an open position, and it’s not close. That’s of course assuming the search is limited to active coaches.

I happened to see Matt Campbell speak at a clinic ... maybe 10-15 years ago ... when he was a GA at Bowling Green ... came away very impressed ... ... then got to meet him over at Mount Union a few years later ... not surprised at all about his success. Would be a great choice for MSU if they need a new coach.

I think he is overrated.
Based on what? Iowa St is was one of the worst P5 jobs out there and they’re the only team not to lose a game by more than 14 points in the last 3 yrs. He’s also outcoached Lincoln Riley a few times.

IMO, Fleck is overrated. He inherited a winning team at MN. Also, his antics are amateurish and his Offense is outdated.

I do not think he is a bad coach per say but he is constantly brought up as if he is the second coming. Despite having the best talent in the MAC coupled with the best facilities he could never win a MAC outright championship. He has done a commendable job at Iowa State but he is essentially .500 in a weak conference. The PJ Fleck schtick certainly annoys me as well but what he did this year was pretty amazing.

I do not think he is a bad coach per say but he is constantly brought up as if he is the second coming. Despite having the best talent in the MAC coupled with the best facilities he could never win a MAC outright championship. He has done a commendable job at Iowa State but he is essentially .500 in a weak conference. The PJ Fleck schtick certainly annoys me as well but what he did this year was pretty amazing.

Imagine being the 2nd fiddle in the most desolate recruiting area geographically in major college football. Then imagine finding a way to be competitive in almost every game. I don’t think he’s the next Saban or Swinney, it’s unfair to put those expectations on anyone. I do think he’s a really damn good coach.

Fleck inherited a strong team, the last coach was fired for off the field issues. He’s even called his Offense “Tressell Ball” which should be an enormous red flag. Honestly, I think the QB & WR duo make him look good. Morgan is an exceptionally smart QB who knows how to read Defenses and get rid of the ball fast. Nobody throws a better Slant pass than Tanner Morgan.

Seems to be one of those guys you either find to be very good or that you think is overrated and under accomplished.

Personally, I think he's doing a fantastic job at Iowa State. Say what you want about the Big XII, but Iowa State is easily one of the 2-3 worst jobs in that league and was a complete dumpster fire for the few years prior to him and he quickly got them playing very competitive football. Consistently winning 7-8 games a year at Iowa State and keeping all of his losses within 1-2 scores makes me curious as to what he could do at a place with better recruiting geography and facilities.

Last edited:
Bad match-up today for ISU. Anyone looking to make money should have caught that oddball line (3.5).

Campbell had better parlay his hype soon or else his shine will wane very soon.