Kap, Reid settle with NFL

Arrogate

Not surprising. It was pretty obvious there were some shenanigans going on. Stinks that this thing is sealed and the details pertaining to the case wont come out. I dont think the NFL would settle if they thought they could win

Not surprising. It was pretty obvious there were some shenanigans going on. Stinks that this thing is sealed and the details pertaining to the case wont come out. I dont think the NFL would settle if they thought they could win

I concur.

Kap exercised his right to do what he did during the anthem. That is his right. Many don't like it, but ask many in the military and they will say they fight for folks to be free to express themselves even if they don't agree with it.

I do believe he was blackballed by NFL owners. Again, their right to stand behind the opinion he would be a distraction. They are likely right, they would get a lot of flub by doing so but if he produced then fans would have still loved him.

The news about the AAF and his demands made him look greedy and bad. True, no substantial talks out there that he turned down anything from an NFL team when he was released.

This past year when a QB who had an 8/14 TD/INT ratio and hadn't thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2011 gets signed before him I believe it was apparent that was the straw that broke the NFL's back in seeking a deal.

KAP's stats weren't that bad in his last season he played and certainly better than Nathan Peterbreath and Josh Johnson and many others who had still had jobs over the years.

Have to wonder what the details were.

But weirdo assured me there were no shenanigans!

Reports are that the settlement is in the $60-80 million range.

Some on ESPN were upset with Kaepernick and Reid questioning their integrity.

Basically, they were saying that if something was wrong in the NFL, why didn't they follow through and prove it? Instead, they just got paid.

The lawyers also appeared to call this a draw. Kaepernick and Reid get paid to go away and the NFL gets off without any acknowledgement of wrong doing. The lawyers said both sides were afraid of letting it go through because the burden was too high for Kaepernick and Reid and the NFL didn't want to risk the embarrassment of their private communications being exposed in court (even if there was no collusion).

:laugh:

Troll on, Leon!!

It was pretty obvious he was blackballed.

Some on ESPN were upset with Kaepernick and Reid questioning their integrity.

Completely understandable. I do as well.

Basically, they were saying that if something was wrong in the NFL, why didn't they follow through and prove it? Instead, they just got paid.

Not only did it give them the opportunity to right a wrong, if they REALLY DID care so deeply about the original protest against blacks being killed by cops, in what they claimed was an unwarranted proportion to other Americans, the resulting litigation would have kept the issue at the forefront.

Everybody has a number, or so they say. Nice strategy, fake activists :clap:

The lawyers also appeared to call this a draw.

for sure

Kaepernick and Reid get paid to go away and the NFL gets off without any acknowledgement of wrong doing. The lawyers said both sides were afraid of letting it go through because the burden was too high for Kaepernick and Reid and the NFL didn't want to risk the embarrassment of their private communications being exposed in court (even if there was no collusion).

Just look at the uptick in NFL ratings after the down turn last year. Right or not, it's generally assumed that the dip was over anthem protests.

I'm sure that the Kaep legal team made it pretty clear that they'd kick crucial court dates out to the opening of next NFL season, and would have a inflammatory, camera-loving attorney on point for every news opportunity. It would be the next incarnation of the OJ trial.

It couldn't be more clear that there was no winning for the NFL if this case went into protracted litigation, and as was implied, Team Kaep was never going to reach the burden of proof.

31 billionaires and Mike Brown said, "Buy their silence.". There can be no doubt about it.

Cabez you really think Reid getting drug tested that much was a coincidence? This isn't trolling. This 100% my opinion, they were looking to silence Reid. The Kap thing is a separate issue and my comment you quoted was in regards to Reid, not Kap

I dont blame them, i would try to silence Reid as well. One bad test is all it would take.

I do think the point of Kap/Reid taking the settlement shows their true colors. Money talks bullsh1t walks

You think the nfl settles cases and seals it when they’ve done everything above board? :laugh:

Why would Kap & Reid settle if they were blackballed?

Most issue are not completely one thing or the other .... people settle for many reason ... some times because they are partly guilty, sometimes to stop from unrelated info from getting out ... sometimes it’s just cheaper to settle than fight. I can’t pretend to know which is the reason the NFL settled ... most likely a combination of reasons.

Just like Kap not getting signed is not as clear as being blackballed ... if he had Aaron Rodgers type of talent, he would have been signed by now ... if he had not kneeled, he would have been signed by now ... if he was willing to take less money and/or been willing to be a backup, he would have been signed by now ... most likely it is a combination of reasons he is not signed by now.

I know people want simple answers for why things happen ... but in reality it usually not that simple.

It was pretty obvious he was blackballed.

Not really. Nobody wanted to sign him bc his talent didn’t outweigh his baggage. His entire case was that crappy QBs were being signed as backups, but those guys don’t bring a media circus with them.

Why would Kap & Reid settle if they were blackballed?

Most issue are not completely one thing or the other .... people settle for many reason ... some times because they are partly guilty, sometimes to stop from unrelated info from getting out ... sometimes it’s just cheaper to settle than fight. I can’t pretend to know which is the reason the NFL settled ... most likely a combination of reasons.

Just like Kap not getting signed is not as clear as being blackballed ... if he had Aaron Rodgers type of talent, he would have been signed by now ... if he had not kneeled, he would have been signed by now ... if he was willing to take less money and/or been willing to be a backup, he would have been signed by now ... most likely it is a combination of reasons he is not signed by now.

I know people want simple answers for why things happen ... but in reality it usually not that simple.

Probably because they were offered enough to make it worth their while to settle. :shrug:

You think Kaep could have ever won this case in litigation ?

I'm sure you believe they have some Owners' Meeting minutes where the NFL said, "F__ this Kaepernick!!" :laugh:

Maybe, maybe not, but he likely could have embarrassed them considerably in the discovery process. They settled because they would have been exposed by how they treated him as a free agent. I do know completely innocent entities don’t settle if they did everything above board. Only a fool believes that. :laugh:

So could it also so low that the NFL thought it easier to settle ... none of really know the answer ... my bet it was a combination of reason.

Obviously it’s a combination given both parties settled. The point is the nfl wouldn’t pay him at all if they believed they were above board entirely as no organization wants to embolden future players from filing similar suits. Organizations like the nfl with teams of lawyers don’t just give away money.

Obviously it’s a combination given both parties settled. The point is the nfl wouldn’t pay him at all if they believed they were above board entirely as no organization wants to embolden future players from filing similar suits. Organizations like the nfl with teams of lawyers don’t just give away money.

Not always ... if it would cost them $5 million to defend themselves and he agrees to take only $1 million then it is just good business ... or ... if in discovery something that the NFL doesn’t want out, which could be unrelated to the case, ... or a combination of both ... it doesn’t mean they were guilty of backballing him ... my bet, is they didn’t backball him directly ... more like bad mouthed him or warned people about the possible trouble of signing him ... and most teams didn’t believe his talent was worth the trouble and he over estimated his worth and value.

Not always ... if it would cost them $5 million to defend themselves and he agrees to take only $1 million then it is just good business ... or ... if in discovery something that the NFL doesn’t want out, which could be unrelated to the case, ... or a combination of both ... it doesn’t mean they were guilty of backballing him ... my bet, is they didn’t backball him directly ... more like bad mouthed him or warned people about the possible trouble of signing him ... and most teams didn’t believe his talent was worth the trouble and he over estimated his worth and value.

If you’re a business, it’s definitely worth spending the money to clear your name versus opening up the door for others to treat you like an atm. You can bet they didn’t want to go to court on this for a reason.

And they didn’t settle on $1m, likely a multiple of that x50 at least.

There's an old axiom in the legal worked that "nobody's ever happy with a good settlement." It's because each side has to give up something.

I suspect the NFL saw some exposure and were concerned with the continuing ongoing bad press while Kaep and Reid saw some uncertainty in their case along with the NFL's unlimited resources to fight them. While the settlement is confidential, something will sneak out at some point.