Justice Sonia Sotomayor continues her warnings of a dramatic conservative turn at the Supreme Court

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Justice Sonia Sotomayor made crystal clear on Tuesday that she believes the conservatives on the Supreme Court -- including three of President Donald Trump's nominees -- are set to move the country sharply to the right by eviscerating or ignoring decades of precedent on issues that most divide the public.

Remaining cases this term include abortion, gun rights, the environment, immigration and a case involving a former public high school football coach who lost his job after leading prayers at the 50-yard line.

"In just a few years," Sotomayor remarked Tuesday as the liberals found themselves on the losing end of a case that could bolster state funding for religious schools, the court "has upended constitutional doctrine."

It will be interesting to see in a few decades if the Supreme Court becomes just another political arm of the government with constant bickering. This should not be a news story but all the old traditions are dying quickly.

I thought this was interesting in the article:

"If a State cannot offer subsidies to its citizens without being required to fund religious exercise, any State that values its historic antiestablishment interest more than this Court does will have to curtail the support it offers to its citizens," she concluded.

Maybe the state needs to stop offering subsidies for nearly everything. I know I'll catch alot of heat from others on the right on here but I believe that private schools should have remained private. The government shouldn't be offering subsidies to private schools whether they are religious or not.

We have become a "subsidy" nation and if you are going to offer subsidies for private companies, excluding a private religious entity is discriminatory.

It's not all that surprising the left wing judge is upset SCOTUS is probably going to pull back some of the constitutionality of federal bloat.

She is really dumb, said some really stupid stuff like 100,000 children on ventilators from covid and a mask NAZI. She is not qualified to decide on "paper or plastic?"

It will be interesting to see in a few decades if the Supreme Court becomes just another political arm of the government with constant bickering. This should not be a news story but all the old traditions are dying quickly.

You don’t need to wait decades you can see it happening now. The federal court system is widely viewed as partisan. I mean how could it not be? Conservatives used it to motivate their base in multiple election.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
I thought this was interesting in the article:

"If a State cannot offer subsidies to its citizens without being required to fund religious exercise, any State that values its historic antiestablishment interest more than this Court does will have to curtail the support it offers to its citizens," she concluded.

Maybe the state needs to stop offering subsidies for nearly everything. I know I'll catch alot of heat from others on the right on here but I believe that private schools should have remained private. The government shouldn't be offering subsidies to private schools whether they are religious or not.

We have become a "subsidy" nation and if you are going to offer subsidies for private companies, excluding a private religious entity is discriminatory.
I would fully agree with the concept that it would be best if no government taxes went to subsidize private education. I feel the same about private universities where federal grants are available. However, if government is going to gather tax dollars from the public and then hand those dollars out, it should do so irrespective of religious views, and only determination should be if the school is qualified as an institution of education.

It's pretty funny that for the past 2 years, the only real openly and blatantly partisan person on the court has been Sotomayor. lol.

When wasn't there "constant bickering" about the Supreme Court, going all the way back to John Jay.