Just Not the Same...

My guess is that since the Blue Jackets are the primary (and really only) tenant at Nationwide they could to some degree ask the NHL to not schedule them for home games for a week or so (similar to how the Spurs take a long road trip for the Rodeo). I don't think melting and clearing the ice would take too long and setting up the seating isn't really any different than any other non-hockey event they hold (estimate a day or so to get to this point). The meet is 3 full days. From what I have read the minimum time to reset the ice is 36 hours but most venues prefer 72 hours. So you could conceivably have a home CBJ game Tuesday, melt overnight, cleanup/setup Wednesday, meet Thurs-Sat, start reicing Sunday, and finish with a CBJ game Wednesday.

Honestly, the best bet might be if you could find another event that wanted to go on around the same time and split the deicing/reicing cost.

It's my understanding that some of these facilities you don't need to melt/reice. They have insulated floors that go over the top of the ice. They typically don't melt the ice until the end of the season. The process of putting the insulated floor over top of the ice and converting from a hockey arena to another type of arena can take as little as 90 minutes up to a full day depending on equipment and staffing. Not sure if Nationwide has those floors available since it's mainly a hockey arena but I'm guessing they might if they host other events

One other thing with nationwide that I haven't seen mentioned here is the Arnold. I'm not sure if it it still used for Arnold events but it was in the past but either way I can't imagine the bluejackets would want games during that weekend. If wrestling moved to nationwide that would be 3 weekends not available to the bluejackets in the late February/March period(Arnold, Wrestling, OHSAA Hockey). If I'm running the bluejackets I'm probably saying no to it or asking for some of the proceeds.

One other thing with nationwide that I haven't seen mentioned here is the Arnold. I'm not sure if it it still used for Arnold events but it was in the past but either way I can't imagine the bluejackets would want games during that weekend. If wrestling moved to nationwide that would be 3 weekends not available to the bluejackets in the late February/March period(Arnold, Wrestling, OHSAA Hockey). If I'm running the bluejackets I'm probably saying no to it or asking for some of the proceeds.

Very good point. I didn't event think about that aspect of things either

It's my understanding that some of these facilities you don't need to melt/reice. They have insulated floors that go over the top of the ice. They typically don't melt the ice until the end of the season. The process of putting the insulated floor over top of the ice and converting from a hockey arena to another type of arena can take as little as 90 minutes up to a full day depending on equipment and staffing. Not sure if Nationwide has those floors available since it's mainly a hockey arena but I'm guessing they might if they host other events

I was under the impression that the ice had to be melted due to the area needed for 10 mats. Otherwise the edge mats wouldn't be completely flat.

The Blue Jackets can actually have games he weekend of the High School finals. The high school games are in the afternoon and the Jackets play at night.

Heck just push it back a little and have that state tourney outside at the shoe 100 thousand plus....lol

I noticed that they are there too but I saw a time lapse and they melted the ice. Only 8 mats are there as well. Although they are NCAA mats which are bigger than HS but I doubt by enough to account for 2 more mats

Could always unroll Mat 10 halfway up the wall and get back points and pins while standing.

I think the NCAA mat is 48 feet in length (36' circle with 6' restraining on each side). Then you have four of those, so that's 192 feet.

For the state tournament, they are using the 30' diameter circle with only 6' of restraint in the middle (1->2, 2->3, 3->4, 4->5) and then 6' of restraint on the outside. Doing the math on that, you're dealing with 186 feet.