Junior High Tournaments

bearcatrunner

Next year I would like to get my son in some bigger tournaments like TOC. Since we will be going from youth to Junior High I'm not sure what tournaments these might be. I'm looking for tournaments that are within a reasonable driving distance (5 hours), that are ran well and have good out of state competition.

I think Indy Nationals would be one since it is close but not sure if they have a Junior High division. TOC is definitely on the list. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Are their many national tournaments going on during the Junior High season (November - January)?

Thanks for any information you care to share.

Bishop Fenwick is looking to Host a High level Jr. High Tournament on Martin Luther King Day this year. We tried last year but think we can make it happen this year.

Dual national tournaments will be the best thing for him great competition find a club and throw him out there it's all about mat time right now for him it's all about getting him ready for high school plus duals be 8-10 matches a weekend

Cambridge Jr High Inv. Dec. 27th at Cambridge HS in Cambridge Ohio. 55 teams. Great tournament. Results on baumspage.com

Do not forget that if he is wrestling for his JH team he can no longer wrestle non-oshaa sanctioned events. I've been told if you do it can affect eligibility. Someone on here knows the rules better than me, chime in please.

My limited understanding is that you can wrestle anyway you want to until you join the Jr. High team which is usually 6 weeks before your conference tournament. OAC doesn't care one way or the other for districts and state right?

I believe this is the rule these days

Individual Non-Interscholastic Competition Date In all sports, an athlete who has not participated for a school in a given sport that season must cease all non-interscholastic competition in a given sport six weeks (42 days) prior to the Monday of the week of the state tournament in that sport in order to be eligible for OHSAA tournament competition provided applicable bylaws and regulations have been followed.

Dual national tournaments will be the best thing for him great competition find a club and throw him out there it's all about mat time right now for him it's all about getting him ready for high school plus duals be 8-10 matches a weekend

Club vs Junior High is something we are really struggling with. It just depends on fit at the moment. That is why I wanted to see what national tournaments are available and timing in case we do go club. I like to gather all of the information and then make an informed decision. Chances are we will do a mix of both.

Club vs Junior High is something we are really struggling with. It just depends on fit at the moment. That is why I wanted to see what national tournaments are available and timing in case we do go club. I like to gather all of the information and then make an informed decision. Chances are we will do a mix of both.

Do both, if he get kicked off the Jr. high team because he's over points will you lose any sleep. I'd just give your coach a heads up though.

Our school starts very late to give our kids a chance to hit the big duals.

Here is a national schedule from this year...note that the majority of these are outside the 5 hour drive you mentioned.
Super 32 - North Carolina
West Penn Duals - Pittsburgh
Malvern Duals - PA
VAC Holiday Duals - Virginia Beach
Philo/Best of the Midwest - Ohio
McDonogh duals - Philly

Add in District & State, you have more than enough matches to prepare your son.

Here is a national schedule from this year...note that the majority of these are outside the 5 hour drive you mentioned.
Malvern Duals - PA
McDonogh duals - Philly

Add in District & State, you have more than enough matches to prepare your son.

These are all good.

More local Olentangy Liberty, Cambridge and of course Philo.

My son did junior high both years. It was fun and he got to be with his friends. Didn't make him better .....but he had fun. Its such a short season you don't really miss much. Jan Tulsa you miss.

I have run a different schedule with my jh club kids. We compete in more individual tournaments than duals. I found a good # of tournaments that would push the kids and prepare them for HS. I also have a mixture of scholastic & non-scholastic competitions during the season. I do adhere to the OHSAA rule of the 17 points per season to stay in the regulations & a good competitive schedule can be made under the point system.

OHSAA rules regarding scholastic & non-scholastic give a specific date which is like Dec. 28/29. Sorry, I don't remember the exact date but you can find it in the HS OHSAA rules. You can wrestle a non-scholastic schedule up to that date in Dec. providing you do not wrestle in any scrimmages, previews or tournaments. After that date you can not wrestle any non-scholastic competitions if you switch over to your perspective jh school. I have had club kids wrestle with us in Dec. then join their perspective jh school team for the second part of the season in Jan..

If you would like more info please feel free to contact me.

Coach Perez
937-750-2272

Do you have to qualify for any of these like Philo?

Malvern Duals - PA
McDonogh duals - Philly

Thanks to all who have responded to this message. Have any of you had issues wrestling with club and then trying to wrestle with the middle school? I like the idea of that but then I worry about the politics associated with doing something like that. I really would hate for my kid to miss out on the team side of JH wrestling with his school but feel like he would get a lot more out of club and a tougher schedule.

Don't other sports have this issue as well? I guess cutting kids takes care of that.