Joe Burrow

You do realize that you are calling the guy that holds damn near every career OSU and Big Ten passing record the 3rd best QB on the team. I am impressed with what Burrow has done at LSU, but unless you were in those meetings, film sessions, practices you have no idea who the best guy was. Burrow could have done a complete 180 once he arrived at LSU. No offense and I'm sure you are full of football knowledge, but I'll take the opinion of the coach who is the only coach in college history to post double digit wins at 4 different schools and has multiple national titles under his belt over yours.

And there are a lot of guys who were great college QB's that didn't turn out to be good in the NFL.
One thing that we certainly can take into account is ALOT of Ohio State QB's look great against most big ten defenses, then can't get it done at the next level. Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Terrell Pryor, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones...All had very good if not great college careers but accurate throwing didn't seem to transcend into the NFL where the windows get smaller and the defenses are much better. No one knows if Burrow can make the transition, but to me, it seems like he's pretty well suited to step onto an NFL field and make the transition. He's thrown the ball exceptionally well at LSU. I think the Buckeye QB's, other than Jones and Haskins have been more running QB's than throwers.

You do realize that you are calling the guy that holds damn near every career OSU and Big Ten passing record the 3rd best QB on the team. I am impressed with what Burrow has done at LSU, but unless you were in those meetings, film sessions, practices you have no idea who the best guy was. Burrow could have done a complete 180 once he arrived at LSU. No offense and I'm sure you are full of football knowledge, but I'll take the opinion of the coach who is the only coach in college history to post double digit wins at 4 different schools and has multiple national titles under his belt over yours.

And there are a lot of guys who were great college QB's that didn't turn out to be good in the NFL.

Not to mention 2015, 2016, 2017 Joe Burrow is not the same QB that 2019 Joe Burrow is. It's asinine to think he would be playing this well from 2015-2017 especially considering he was the definition of average in 2018 throwing for just under 2,900 yards on 57.8% completion and 16 TD to 5 INT. Players aren't finished products when they join college football, they (typically) progress as the years ago on.

Falguin is full of terrible football takes.

One thing that we certainly can take into account is ALOT of Ohio State QB's look great against most big ten defenses, then can't get it done at the next level. Troy Smith, JT Barrett, Terrell Pryor, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones...All had very good if not great college careers but accurate throwing didn't seem to transcend into the NFL where the windows get smaller and the defenses are much better. No one knows if Burrow can make the transition, but to me, it seems like he's pretty well suited to step onto an NFL field and make the transition. He's thrown the ball exceptionally well at LSU. I think the Buckeye QB's, other than Jones and Haskins have been more running QB's than throwers.
Any Bama, LSU. Georgia QB's excel lately in the NFL?

Any Bama, LSU. Georgia QB's excel lately in the NFL?

The truth is there are only a dozen or so QB's that excel in the NFL at any given time. It's not an easy transition and I'm usually surprised by some of the guys who do make it. I would have never thought what Lamar Jackson did in college would translate to the NFL. Never saw Russell Wilson being great coming out of college. And Dak Prescott I thought was a bad pick when the Cowboys took him. Most of the starting QB's in the NFL didn't even play at what would be considered an elite college program.

The truth is there are only a dozen or so QB's that excel in the NFL at any given time. It's not an easy transition and I'm usually surprised by some of the guys who do make it. I would have never thought what Lamar Jackson did in college would translate to the NFL. Never saw Russell Wilson being great coming out of college. And Dak Prescott I thought was a bad pick when the Cowboys took him. Most of the starting QB's in the NFL didn't even play at what would be considered an elite college program.
I wanted the Browns to take a flyer on Wilson in the second round that year. I have to say that he may never have been able to develop to the point that he has without that defense, Beast Mode, and Pete the Cheat in his ear.

Dak only fell as far as he did because of his DUI.

Correct here^.

After today's performance it's safe to say that Burrow has locked up the Heisman. He threw for 350 yards & 4 TD's with no TO's. He also had a couple of big runs and an electrifying scramble and pass for 71 yards. And he did this on a huge stage - the SEC championship against the #4 team with the best defense in college football.

His team is 13 - 0, won the SEC and is in the playoffs.

Best defense in college football. Hmmm

I hope he wins it. I think he deserves it. He is best future pro we’ve seen in terms of reading, reacting, executing and escaping.

Still throws that Kilmer duck on a deep ball, but you can catch those.

Last edited:
Best defense in college football. Hmmm

Who knows who actually has the best defense in college football but according to the stats Georgia was ranked #1 or #2 in most of the key defensive categories.

Having watched LSU against Auburn, Florida & Georgia none of them looked very stout but according to the stats all 3 are in the top 10.

Who would you rank as the best defense in college football? I would have said Ohio State a couple of weeks ago but not anymore. Ditto for Penn State which I think has been grossly overrated by the committee. Utah was supposed to have an elite defense but I didn't see it.

It's a new age and offense wins championships.

Who knows who actually has the best defense in college football but according to the stats Georgia was ranked #1 or #2 in most of the key defensive categories.

Having watched LSU against Auburn, Florida & Georgia none of them looked very stout but according to the stats all 3 are in the top 10.

Who would you rank as the best defense in college football? I would have said Ohio State a couple of weeks ago but not anymore. Ditto for Penn State which I think has been grossly overrated by the committee. Utah was supposed to have an elite defense but I didn't see it.

It's a new age and offense wins championships.
Georgia plays in the weak side of what is now an average Conference when considered top to bottom. You can deny it if you want, but Yappi put it out there. It is what it is.

Georgia plays in the weak side of what is now an average Conference when considered top to bottom. You can deny it if you want, but Yappi put it out there. It is what it is.

I largely agree with what you & Yappi have said. But just as Georgia plays on the easier side of the SEC so to does Whisky & Minnesota when looking at the B1G.

I think it's fair to say that by traditional standards Georgia has a very good defense. Ditto the defenses for Auburn & Florida. But it didn't matter as Burrow & the LSU offense gutted all three. When you look at Burrow's stats the thing that jumps out at you is that the better the competition the better he plays. This is a critical stat IMO.

And let's be honest here - having a great defense is nice but in the playoff era great offenses win national championships.

I also think that what defines a "great defense" is changing in college football. It's no longer the stats, which boost teams like Georgia & Penn State, but rather you want a defense that can generate TO's and get the occasional 3 & out. In a shootout stealing a couple of possessions is all the difference that matters. In fact the bend but don't break D's are probably best suited for today's kind of football.

Burrow looked to me like he was already an NFL capable QB. I hope he doesn't get stuck with one of the NFL dregs. If I were the GM of the Saints, I would use as many draft choices as it took to move up to take him. Burrow would be the perfect replacement for an aging Brees.

Burrow looked to me like he was already an NFL capable QB. I hope he doesn't get stuck with one of the NFL dregs. If I were the GM of the Saints, I would use as many draft choices as it took to move up to take him. Burrow would be the perfect replacement for an aging Brees.
The Pats will move up and get Burrow

The Big 10 has had some of the best defenses in college football this year. Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Do you work for the Big ten or something?? Is it good defense, or bad offense??

It's neither. One look at season stats will show you that. I don't have to work for the Big 10 to not be lazy and actually look up some objective information before giving opinion. The Big 10, statistically, has had some of the best defenses in college football. They also have some elite offensive players like Fields and Dobbins. The two are not mutually exclusive. The SEC has some elite defenses and has superstars like Joe Burrow.

I'm honestly not sure where my allegiances will lie in a Burrow vs. OSU Championship match. I can imagine going in rooting for Burrows and switching middle of the game as reality hits.

It's neither. One look at season stats will show you that. I don't have to work for the Big 10 to not be lazy and actually look up some objective information before giving opinion. The Big 10, statistically, has had some of the best defenses in college football. They also have some elite offensive players like Fields and Dobbins. The two are not mutually exclusive. The SEC has some elite defenses and has superstars like Joe Burrow.
But when you judge teams based on game stats from inferior teams, you don't get a true indication. You an pile up numbers on Rutgers, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue and the non conference cupcakes. I think Dobbins is a great talent, he could easily be a Heisman winner but OSU likes to balance things out. I'm not real sold on Fields after seeing him the last few weeks. He's loose with the ball and is not real accurate. Now he is a redshirt freshman and I understand that. But his receivers have to make too many incredible catches because he does not put the ball in the right spot all the time. Also, I think he holds onto the ball too much. He takes alot of sacks.

But when you judge teams based on game stats from inferior teams, you don't get a true indication. You an pile up numbers on Rutgers, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue and the non conference cupcakes. I think Dobbins is a great talent, he could easily be a Heisman winner but OSU likes to balance things out.

What? All teams pad numbers against inferior opponents. Your assessment on what teams are inferior is incredibly biased and not founded by anything based in reality.

All teams want to be balanced...

. I'm not real sold on Fields after seeing him the last few weeks. He's loose with the ball and is not real accurate. Now he is a redshirt freshman and I understand that. But his receivers have to make too many incredible catches because he does not put the ball in the right spot all the time

He's loose with the ball to the tune of 1 Int and 40 TDs? Okay....

Also, I think he holds onto the ball too much. He takes alot of sacks.

He's taken one fewer sack than Joe Burrow has. If you'd actually bother to educate yourself you wouldn't say dumb things like that.

But when you judge teams based on game stats from inferior teams, you don't get a true indication. You an pile up numbers on Rutgers, Nebraska, Indiana, Purdue and the non conference cupcakes. I think Dobbins is a great talent, he could easily be a Heisman winner but OSU likes to balance things out. I'm not real sold on Fields after seeing him the last few weeks. He's loose with the ball and is not real accurate. Now he is a redshirt freshman and I understand that. But his receivers have to make too many incredible catches because he does not put the ball in the right spot all the time. Also, I think he holds onto the ball too much. He takes alot of sacks.
Fields is so careless and inaccurate with the ball, he’s thrown one interception this year! Lol.

Fields is so careless and inaccurate with the ball, he’s thrown one interception this year! Lol.

I feel bad responding to him, because based on these threads and the baseball threads, I'm still not sure if he's a master level troll and I've just been a sucker all this time.

Fields has also been playing on a bad wheel since the Penn State game. Strap one of those bulky knee braces on and go run around the yard, see how it works. He's probably playing at 60-70% right now and still putting up elite numbers. Every schedule has cupcakes unless you are a cupcake.

I will also say on the defensive conversation, OSU has not looked dominate in 2 HALFS of games this year (Michigan and Wisconsin), but after a couple of adjustments dominated in the second half. It was what 7 or 8 games before someone put up more than 10 points. In today's game, that's pretty damn impressive. We'll find out in a couple of weeks, but I would argue that the OSU defense is as good as it gets in the country.

Fields has also been playing on a bad wheel since the Penn State game. Strap one of those bulky knee braces on and go run around the yard, see how it works. He's probably playing at 60-70% right now and still putting up elite numbers. Every schedule has cupcakes unless you are a cupcake.

I will also say on the defensive conversation, OSU has not looked dominate in 2 HALFS of games this year (Michigan and Wisconsin), but after a couple of adjustments dominated in the second half. It was what 7 or 8 games before someone put up more than 10 points. In today's game, that's pretty damn impressive. We'll find out in a couple of weeks, but I would argue that the OSU defense is as good as it gets in the country.
Yeah, OSU isn’t getting enough credit for the 27-0 beat down they have Wisky in that second half.