Jimbo Fisher Calls for College Football Playoff Expansion After Texas A&M's Snub

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
No. 5 Texas A&M (8-1) was left out of the College Football Playoff in favor of No. 4 Notre Dame (10-1), and head coach Jimbo Fisher believes it's time to change the CFP format.

"I think the playoff needs to get expanded," he told reporters Sunday. "It's hard to judge strength of schedule. Only way you'll find out is to expand the playoff, and I'm a traditionalist and never thought I would say that. But in today's times, we do [need playoff expansion]."

Don’t give up 35 points to Alabama by halftime

Yea, and the same is going to happen to OSU and ND. I’m all for expanding the number though. Eight tams would be fine. 3 rounds. Play the first round 1 week after the conf champ games.. higher seed get the home game.

Yea, and the same is going to happen to OSU and ND. I’m all for expanding the number though. Eight tams would be fine. 3 rounds. Play the first round 1 week after the conf champ games.. higher seed get the home game.
Expansion is the only way and could generate some $$$ for the NCAA.
If OSU is healthy, I really like their chances. We'll see. Hopefully it will be 11 vs. 11 instead of 11 vs. 16. The refs need to be better. They were God awful last time.

I didnt bother to confirm, but somebody told me A&M had more wins against teams that fired their coaches than wins against teams with winning records. Again, I didnt confirm. But I love hearing Jimbo whine.

Expansion is the only way and could generate some $$$ for the NCAA.
If OSU is healthy, I really like their chances. We'll see. Hopefully it will be 11 vs. 11 instead of 11 vs. 16. The refs need to be better. They were God awful last time.
Agree with you, but I think our team last year was a better one than this year's model.

I didnt bother to confirm, but somebody told me A&M had more wins against teams that fired their coaches than wins against teams with winning records. Again, I didnt confirm. But I love hearing Jimbo whine.

That's going to be the same for a lot of teams this year. To be fair, Ohio State's biggest win is against Indiana

Untitled.png

It feels like the pressure to expand is increasing from all sides: coaches, players, and TV networks. With most bowl games losing meaning each year to coaches, players, and fans alike, it only makes sense to expand the field.

I wouldn't be against a 20-team tournament with every conference champ included. I doubt it would ever happen, but it would be the best way to ensure no one can whine and how a number of bowls can retain or regain meaning.

The Field:
MAC: Ball State
CUSA: UAB
PAC 12: #24 Oregon
MWC: #19 San Jose State
#16 Northwestern
#15 Louisiana
#14 North Carolina
#13 BYU
#12 Iowa State
Sun Belt: #11 Coastal Carolina
#10 Florida
#9 Georgia
Big XII: #8 Oklahoma
#7 Indiana
AAC: #6 Cincinnati
#5 Texas A&M
#4 Notre Dame
Big 10: #3 Ohio State
ACC: #2 Clemson
SEC: #1 Alabama

1st Round
Music City Bowl (Detroit): Ball State vs #16 Northwestern
Texas Bowl (Houston): UAB vs #15 Louisiana
Las Vegas Bowl (Las Vegas): #24 Oregon vs #14 North Carolina
Redbox Bowl (Bay Area): #19 San Jose State vs #13 BYU

2nd Round
LA Bowl (Los Angeles): #16 Northwestern vs #12 Iowa State
Alamo Bowl (San Antonio): #15 Louisiana vs #11 Coastal Carolina
Liberty Bowl (Memphis): #14 North Carolina vs #10 Florida
Pinstripe Bowl (NYC): #13 BYU vs #9 Georgia

3rd Round
Outback Bowl (Tampa): #12 Iowa State vs #8 Oklahoma
Holiday Bowl (San Diego): #11 Coastal Carolina vs #7 Indiana
Gator Bowl (Jacksonville): #10 Florida vs #6 Cincinnati
Citrus Bowl (Orlando): #9 Georgia vs #5 Texas A&M

Quarter-Final
Cotton Bowl (Dallas): vs #4 Notre Dame
Fiesta Bowl (Phoenix): vs #3 Ohio State
Peach Bowl (Atlanta): vs #2 Clemson
Orange Bowl (Miami): vs #1 Alabama

Semi-Final
Rose Bowl (Pasadena): 2nd Lowest Rank vs Highest Rank
Sugar Bowl (New Orleans): Lowest Rank vs 2nd Highest Rank

National Championship Game (Bidding Host)

A bit outlandish but it would give us some games of intrigue throughout the whole of the FBS post-season.

Last edited:
Sure let's play a six week regular season so we can have a 7 week playoff for 24 teams. The most realistic move would be 8 teams. We've known and said this for years. Without researching I'm guessing we had a similar thread last year and will again next. For whatever the committee and the powers to be keep shelfing the discussion

It should’ve been 20, not 24. That was my mistake.

If it starts the week after CCG week, then it would only extend the post-season one week.

As for the regular season, maybe it would need to be shortened by a week, but idk if it’d be necessary.

Last edited:
I would fully support an 8 team playoff, but just for the record, this argument would no go away. There is so much ambiguity in the rankings, that if we say #8 has a chance at a championship, then #9 and #10 are going to be bitching the same was 5 and 6 do now

I’d like something such as the five conference champs from Power 5, the highest ranked “Group of 5” champ and two at-large teams to be filled by the two highest ranked teams not meeting the above criteria.

So the teams this year would be:

Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Oregon, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and Tx AM

Seeding could be something like:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Cincinnati
6. Tx AM
7. Oklahoma
8. Oregon

I’d like something such as the five conference champs from Power 5, the highest ranked “Group of 5” champ and two at-large teams to be filled by the two highest ranked teams not meeting the above criteria.

So the teams this year would be:

Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Oregon, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and Tx AM

Seeding could be something like:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Cincinnati
6. Tx AM
7. Oklahoma
8. Oregon
I agree with you. An eight team field would make the most sense. Then you make room for a team like A&M that lost early but is playing really well now and could maybe win an NC. After the top eight, most of those teams will not have a chance of winning. Even with the top four teams playing these playoff games have been blowouts. Now I know many will say the best four aren't playing, and I will agree with that. ND is not that much better if they are better than the rest of the eight teams listed here. One could argue tOSU isn't better, but the big three (Bama, Clemson, and tOSU) have way more talent than any team in the top eight; however, having an eight team field would solve the issue. If they do go to something like this, then the regular season should go back to eleven games, and teams should have to play eight league games if possible. No scheduled bye weeks like the ACC and SEC do.

Number 13 North Carolina is giving A & M all they can handle. Not helping A & M argument of being a top 4 team.

Number 13 North Carolina is giving A & M all they can handle. Not helping A & M argument of being a top 4 team.

Biding their time. 24 pt 4th Q. They made a case but not one clear enough during the season to get past football ancient history. ND got in because they're ND. Getting blown out by Clemson should have been enough to throw it to the next of equals. MY choice would have been Cinci.

Biding their time. 24 pt 4th Q. They made a case but not one clear enough during the season to get past football ancient history. ND got in because they're ND. Getting blown out by Clemson should have been enough to throw it to the next of equals. MY choice would have been Cinci.
I would have liked Cinci too, but I will admit being prejudice. I will always root for the Ohio teams.

Yea, and the same is going to happen to CLEMSON and ND. I’m all for expanding the number though. Eight tams would be fine. 3 rounds. Play the first round 1 week after the conf champ games.. higher seed get the home game.

I corrected it for you!