Jim Harbaugh

Virtually every "all-time" program ranking has Michigan in the top-10 and borderline top-5. The AP in the last few years released an all-time program rankings covering 80 years of polls that ranked Michigan 4th or 5th.

Bottomline: this is one of maybe 15 jobs where you have the right ingredients in place to be a playoff regular and national championship contender. When it comes to the hot name commodities, either you're interested in getting paid huge money and having a chance to be a contender, or you're not. UC, Iowa State and other programs have no chance of being what Michigan has the potential to be. If either of those guys passes on this job, the list of equal or better jobs that will be available in the next couple of years is extremely thin.

No

For you or people 30+ its big time. For kids its not a great program anymore its just not. They have been through coach after coach and nobody can win consistently. Its cold, dreary, and in a league with OSU. Theres no reason for a guy like Fickell to leave other than money and Fickell makes plenty of money at UC and has all the job security in the world. Long term Fickell will make waaay more than the 3-5 years he would make at Michigan. Not to mention the UM fans would want him gone immediately if he doesnt win asap due to his OSU ties. Plus half the fan base would puke if they hired an OSU guy. Bad fit on bith sides. I do think the IU coach would be a good move.
UC Football is a stepping stone, just like Xavier Basketball. Fickell might not go to Michigan, but he’s not going to be a lifer.

For as big of a dumpster fire as Michigan is at the moment and for as big of a doof as Harbaugh has been up there, they still have had 3 top-10 recruiting classes in the last five years.

A hot commodity coach like some of those mentioned here would pull in top-10 classes up there in their sleep. They still have great facilities, a phenomenal campus and college town, and a brand name with tradition. For all of the issues up there at the moment, it's still one of maybe fifteen or so jobs where it's conceivable to build a perennial playoff contending program that can compete for national championships.

No matter how bad things are at Michigan right now, it will always be more prestigious and high profile than UC. This is like if we went back in time to 3 yrs ago and tried to argue that the UCF job was better than Florida or the U.

Virtually every "all-time" program ranking has Michigan in the top-10 and borderline top-5. The AP in the last few years released an all-time program rankings covering 80 years of polls that ranked Michigan 4th or 5th.

Bottomline: this is one of maybe 15 jobs where you have the right ingredients in place to be a playoff regular and national championship contender. When it comes to the hot name commodities, either you're interested in getting paid huge money and having a chance to be a contender, or you're not. UC, Iowa State and other programs have no chance of being what Michigan has the potential to be. If either of those guys passes on this job, the list of equal or better jobs that will be available in the next couple of years is extremely thin.
USC and Texas are the only other jobs of similar status that might come open in the near future. There’s also the possibility of taking a Coordinator job in the NFL and raising your profile that way,

Maybe we should rename this thread as the coaching carousel 2020-21?

Here is an excellent breakdown on the South Carolina gig: https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/south-carolina

Basically its a good job with a lot of resources but it's also a hard job. I was also surprised that the state is on kind of a poor recruiting run with only 1 top 300 recruit in the class of '21 and he is going to Georgia. The name that is now coming up is Billy Napier and while a nice hire it will not fire up the fan base.

UC Football is a stepping stone, just like Xavier Basketball. Fickell might not go to Michigan, but he’s not going to be a lifer.

There are very few lifer jobs at any school. Terrible fit for both UM and Fickell is what I'm saying for the reasons listed previously.

Maybe we should rename this thread as the coaching carousel 2020-21?

Here is an excellent breakdown on the South Carolina gig: https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/south-carolina

Basically its a good job with a lot of resources but it's also a hard job. I was also surprised that the state is on kind of a poor recruiting run with only 1 top 300 recruit in the class of '21 and he is going to Georgia. The name that is now coming up is Billy Napier and while a nice hire it will not fire up the fan base.
The majority of college football fan bases are idiots. They have no concept of $ in terms of buyouts, and hiring a new staff. Some of these a holes would be firing a coach every 3 yrs if he didn’t win a title.

Napier is a young coach, proven winner, offensive minded, knows the area (played at Furman), he’s an excellent hire if you do the slightest bit of digging. He might not be the “sexy” hire Hugh Freeze is, but he also doesn’t come with the massive amount of baggage.

And if I had my preference, I’d go with Freeze, if he wants the job. However, It’s entirely possible he doesn’t want to compete in state with Clemson. Maybe he’s fine waiting another yr and possibly getting the Tennessee job.

At a certain point, you have to have some self awareness if you’re a South Carolina fan. You’re far & away the 2nd banana in the state, you have no prestige, no real tradition. The most memorable play in the history of your program is probably that Clowney hit vs Michigan. They’re lucky Napier is considering this job.

The top 5 colleges with the most players on NFL rosters in 2020:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. Florida
5. Michigan

That’s walking in high cotton.
I'll wager the bulk of those Michigan NFL players were Carr's.

If they wind up losing this game by multiple scores, leaving Harbaugh on the tarmac Kiffin style has to at least be a passing thought.

Imagine going back to 1998 and trying to convince a college football fan than in a little over 20 yrs the following programs would be some of the worst teams in college football:

Michigan
Penn St
Florida St
Nebraska
Tennessee

Imagine going back to 1998 and trying to convince a college football fan than in a little over 20 yrs the following programs would be some of the worst teams in college football:

Michigan
Penn St
Florida St
Nebraska
Tennessee
I thought that Tennessee was in for a long haul when they let Fulmer go since the margin of error in the SEC is razor thin. Nebraska post-Pelini has been a hot mess. Losing Osborne wasn't as much of a problem since Solich knew the Nebraska culture but that wasn't enough for Husker fans. Then the jump to the Big Ten and the rude awakening that there aren't as many "off" weeks as in the Big 12.

BTW, Fulmer tested positive. Hopefully just a glancing blow.

I thought that Tennessee was in for a long haul when they let Fulmer go since the margin of error in the SEC is razor thin. Nebraska post-Pelini has been a hot mess. Losing Osborne wasn't as much of a problem since Solich knew the Nebraska culture but that wasn't enough for Husker fans. Then the jump to the Big Ten and the rude awakening that there aren't as many "off" weeks as in the Big 12.

BTW, Fulmer tested positive. Hopefully just a glancing blow.
it’s just surreal thinking about how when I was growing these were the top dogs in the sport, now they’re being laughed at.

it’s just surreal thinking about how when I was growing these were the top dogs in the sport, now they’re being laughed at.
Yep, about the only one that occasionally spun their wheels a bit back in my formative years was Tennessee.

Omar-

The only thing that I would add to your last post is to factor in Northwestern becoming a 900 lb gorilla. Who'd da thunk it back then?

I doubt it since Carr retired in 2007. Most were probably recruited by Hoke and played under Harbaugh
Correct. Harbaugh's best team was with Hoke's kids.

Harbaugh failed miserably when he handed the car keys over to a couple of awful OC's so he could tell recruits they will run RPO's. In the name of competing with Urban Meyer he abandon what made him good (run the ball and play D). Quick, name the last great UM RB? Hart?

Correct. Harbaugh's best team was with Hoke's kids.

Harbaugh failed miserably when he handed the car keys over to a couple of awful OC's so he could tell recruits they will run RPO's. In the name of competing with Urban Meyer he abandon what made him good (run the ball and play D). Quick, name the last great UM RB? Hart?
They needed to modernize on Offense. What made those teams good in his early tenure were the Defenses. The Corners on this team are atrocious, they look like MAC level talent at best. Rutgers WRs were blowing right by them.

They needed to modernize on Offense. What made those teams good in his early tenure were the Defenses. The Corners on this team are atrocious, they look like MAC level talent at best. Rutgers WRs were blowing right by them.
No, they did not. Tweek sure. Yes, the corners look bad but they look that way across the board. Bad angles, guys jogging on special teams, no sense of urgency. Only guy that can be that bad and get a pass is Harbaugh. Had he not handed the keys to two awful OC's they would not be in this predicament. Don Brown has had some very proven defenses but when you are on the field all game you'll eventually get exposed.

Time of possession.

1606184300280.png

That's right, Bowling Green is better.

Hope they give Harbaugh a Lifetime Contract Extension ?. Honestly don’t think Fickell would even talk to those Clowns up North. Remember he grew up in Columbus and an OSU Alum. Be like sleeping with the enemy! If interested I think Pat Fitzgerald would be a good fit. Same with Campbell. Good call also on Peterson imo.
I hope he never goes to Michigan because we don’t want him. We need a young fresh unknown coach like Bo was when he came in. A virtual unknown. Ya never know......

Last edited:
Maybe Michigan players will get a trophy for participation. Good job. You came in second against Penn State today

Still lead the nation in all-time winning percentage and number of victories but yes, currently, something must be done. Must recruit better, better coaching and get back to recruiting in Ohio.