Jim Harbaugh

their talent is some of the best in the country and has been. They mentioned the draft pics. That will still be. I put more weight on your second thought, no will or desire.

Wonder who their starting qb will be next week. The backup led meatchicken to a quick score and the team showed a little life.

You have to crawl before you can walk. You should hire a coach who you believe can beat OSU, but recognize it’s going to take time.
And when Tressell got to OSU, Michigan wasn’t nearly as strong as current OSU, not even close.
It is true Michigan of then was not as strong as OSU is now, but the goal definitely should be to reach OSU’s level.

I hear about Michigan talent. Look at the NFL and list the Michigan players. I don't think they are getting the talent.
The top 5 colleges with the most players on NFL rosters in 2020:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. Florida
5. Michigan

That’s walking in high cotton.

Is toppling OSU really the biggest issue right now? It’s going to take at least 3 years before they can even compete with OSU. Worry about getting back to 8-9 wins and actually beating Mich St. When that starts happening, then you can turn focus to OSU

I don't doubt that a halfway decent coach can get Michigan back to being a perennial 8-9 win team within the next 2-3 seasons. They need the next coach to be a home run hire.

Michigan thought they had a home run hire with Harbaugh and they never got past 2nd base with him.

They need a coach that can continue to recruit at a top 10 level but also scheme with the best in college football. The more that OSU continues to increase the gap between the two programs, the more that beating OSU will be the benchmark for success again - not winning a national championship, not making the CFP, not even winning the Big Ten.

It's much easier to fantasize about these coaches than employ them though. Look at how Florida, Texas, and USC all did over this past decade.

The top 5 colleges with the most players on NFL rosters in 2020:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. Florida
5. Michigan

That’s walking in high cotton.

The problem with Michigan is that they are not cultivating NFL talent at the most important positions - QB, WR, and RB. They're not cranking out Jeudy, Derrick Henry, Michael Thomas, Zeke, Joe Burrow, Justin Jefferson, Clyde Edwards Helaire, etc.

I don't doubt that a halfway decent coach can get Michigan back to being a perennial 8-9 win team within the next 2-3 seasons. They need the next coach to be a home run hire.

Michigan thought they had a home run hire with Harbaugh and they never got past 2nd base with him.

They need a coach that can continue to recruit at a top 10 level but also scheme with the best in college football. The more that OSU continues to increase the gap between the two programs, the more that beating OSU will be the benchmark for success again - not winning a national championship, not making the CFP, not even winning the Big Ten.

It's much easier to fantasize about these coaches than employ them though. Look at how Florida, Texas, and USC all did over this past decade.
That’s exactly why you need to be realistic. There’s no sure things out there. Give Campbell 4-5 yrs and he might have them ready to compete with OSU

The problem with Michigan is that they are not cultivating NFL talent at the most important positions - QB, WR, and RB. They're not cranking out Jeudy, Derrick Henry, Michael Thomas, Zeke, Joe Burrow, Justin Jefferson, Clyde Edwards Helaire, etc.
They get some. They just don’t know what to do with them. The DE, Gary, never improved much. Urban said Peoples-Jones was the best HS WR prospect he had ever seen. What did Michigan do with him? Had he and Gary gone to OSU, they might have been developed much better.

Would love Fickell to be the next head coach but I think the OSU connections are too strong for him to receive full backing by the alumni/fanbase.

Campbell is a pretty safe hire, but he doesn't get me excited. Can't see us overtaking OSU with him at the helm.

Heupel at UCF could bring a dynamic offense that's been missing for some time.

Heupel would be a disaster, IMO. His teams have regressed every year he's been at UCF. Campbell and Fickell are probably the best realistic options for Michigan. And I'm not even sure Fickell is realistic.

I think Michigan got themselves into this position by thinking they're more than they are. In my opinion Harbaugh has pretty much been on par with Carr, Moeller, and Bo throughout his tenure (minus any conference/national championships obviously). You're topping out at about 10 wins generally, with 8 and 9 win seasons scattered throughout. Michigan is in an interesting position though because unlike rivals of the other two elite programs at the moment (Auburn, South Carolina), Michigan can't just accept a second-fiddle role to OSU given their history.

I think that if Harbaugh isn't 0-8 against OSU then there isn't as much talk about getting rid of him. Being at least competitive against your rival can account for a lot. Look what it's done for Malzahn. Fairly average tenure at Auburn with a breakout season or two. But he's 3-4 against Alabama since he's been there, with roughly the same talent Michigan has judging off of recruiting rankings. I doubt he's still at Auburn if he's 0-7.

Also I'm still of the opinion that RichRod should have been given more time. His teams improved every year, and I believe that he would have had a similar 2011 season if he were coaching instead of Hoke.

Just thinking out loud... Would IU's Tom Allen be a good fit for Michigan? Maybe South Carolina? He was able to bring Michael Penix into the fold so recruiting is not just regional and he is running a solid program. Might be too much of an energy guy for UM but could be a good fit South Carolina.

Just thinking out loud... Would IU's Tom Allen be a good fit for Michigan? Maybe South Carolina? He was able to bring Michael Penix into the fold so recruiting is not just regional and he is running a solid program. Might be too much of an energy guy for UM but could be a good fit South Carolina.
Scar is going to be either Freeze or Billy Napier from Louisiana.

Heard a guy on the Sirius NCAA channel say that the SEC offices will not be happy if Hugh Freeze comes back to the Conference and there are some violations from Ole Miss that are on ice that will come back open which could lead to suspension time before he can even coach a game. The same guy also said this is a no-win job as long as Dabo is at Clemson and look for a hot Sunbelt Coach to take the job as a step up in pay.

And Freeze has some of the naughty accusations that Michigan will not deal with.

Just thinking out loud... Would IU's Tom Allen be a good fit for Michigan?

Yes I think he's the old school they need. But he's born and bred Indiana. Shown no interest otherwise. Interestingly enough, he coached briefly under Freeze.

Heard a guy on the Sirius NCAA channel say that the SEC offices will not be happy if Hugh Freeze comes back to the Conference and there are some violations from Ole Miss that are on ice that will come back open which could lead to suspension time before he can even coach a game. The same guy also said this is a no-win job as long as Dabo is at Clemson and look for a hot Sunbelt Coach to take the job as a step up in pay.
Scar is a stepping stone and they need to accept that. It’s the only way to get the best coach. The more talk I hear, the more it seems like Napier will be the guy. Very good hire if that happens.

Why in the world would Fickell go to Michigan right now? The program is a mess and OSU is ruining the Big 10. If you are a top tier guy you want to play for OSU and win Big 10 Titles and play for National Titles, a few may slip through the cracks and go to UM or PSU but that's it. Michigan hasn't been relevant to kids that are 16-17-18 years old, maybe to their dad's but not to them. Fickell by all accounts loves it in Cincy and can be a lifer at this point. It's going to take the perfect deal for Fickell to leave UC much like BK leaving for his dream job ND.

Why in the world would Fickell go to Michigan right now? The program is a mess and OSU is ruining the Big 10. If you are a top tier guy you want to play for OSU and win Big 10 Titles and play for National Titles, a few may slip through the cracks and go to UM or PSU but that's it. Michigan hasn't been relevant to kids that are 16-17-18 years old, maybe to their dad's but not to them. Fickell by all accounts loves it in Cincy and can be a lifer at this point. It's going to take the perfect deal for Fickell to leave UC much like BK leaving for his dream job ND.
Is this for real? Fickell is doing a great job at UC, as have some others before him, but it’s a stepping stone job. Michigan is having problems, but it’s still the big time.

For as big of a dumpster fire as Michigan is at the moment and for as big of a doof as Harbaugh has been up there, they still have had 3 top-10 recruiting classes in the last five years.

A hot commodity coach like some of those mentioned here would pull in top-10 classes up there in their sleep. They still have great facilities, a phenomenal campus and college town, and a brand name with tradition. For all of the issues up there at the moment, it's still one of maybe fifteen or so jobs where it's conceivable to build a perennial playoff contending program that can compete for national championships.

No
Is this for real? Fickell is doing a great job at UC, as have some others before him, but it’s a stepping stone job. Michigan is having problems, but it’s still the big time.

For you or people 30+ its big time. For kids its not a great program anymore its just not. They have been through coach after coach and nobody can win consistently. Its cold, dreary, and in a league with OSU. Theres no reason for a guy like Fickell to leave other than money and Fickell makes plenty of money at UC and has all the job security in the world. Long term Fickell will make waaay more than the 3-5 years he would make at Michigan. Not to mention the UM fans would want him gone immediately if he doesnt win asap due to his OSU ties. Plus half the fan base would puke if they hired an OSU guy. Bad fit on bith sides. I do think the IU coach would be a good move.

No

For you or people 30+ its big time. For kids its not a great program anymore its just not. They have been through coach after coach and nobody can win consistently. Its cold, dreary, and in a league with OSU. Theres no reason for a guy like Fickell to leave other than money and Fickell makes plenty of money at UC and has all the job security in the world. Long term Fickell will make waaay more than the 3-5 years he would make at Michigan. Not to mention the UM fans would want him gone immediately if he doesnt win asap due to his OSU ties. Plus half the fan base would puke if they hired an OSU guy. Bad fit on bith sides. I do think the IU coach would be a good move.
Check Alabama from 1997 to 2006. The right hire can get a historically great program out of the wilderness and back to greatness.

Gary Moeller was a captain at Ohio State. The fans aren't going to give a crap about a coach having Ohio State connections if they win.

It is cold and dreary up there, but begrudgingly I have to admit Ann Arbor is one of the best college towns in the country and probably the best in the Big Ten. There is a lot besides football up there to sell and to sway recruits.

Check Alabama from 1997 to 2006. The right hire can get a historically great program out of the wilderness and back to greatness.

The difference is that nobody in the SEC was dominating that league like OSU is the Big. Recruiting is fertile in that part of the country as well. Ohio plays good football but the surrounding states around Mich are nothing like in the South. Dont get me wrong i see your point i just think its a terrible fit for both sides.

Gary Moeller was a captain at Ohio State. The fans aren't going to give a crap about a coach having Ohio State connections if they win.

It is cold and dreary up there, but begrudgingly I have to admit Ann Arbor is one of the best college towns in the country and probably the best in the Big Ten. There is a lot besides football up there to sell and to sway recruits.

Moeller had been an assistant at UM for 10 years before being named head coach. Thats a totally different set of circumstances. Not to mention it was 30 years ago, again like i said previously times have changed.

Again, what greatness is Michigan going back to? Bo? He had 0 national championships and a losing bowl record. Gary Moeller has been the only coach in 50 years at Michigan to have a winning bowl record. Michigan fans have some deluded sense that at one time they were at the point Alabama, Clemson, and OSU currently are and that's just not true.

Harbaugh has returned Michigan to what they were. A 9-10 win program that doesn't do well in bowl games. Getting to the level of OSU, Alabama, Clemson would be entirely new territory for Michigan football. I honestly hope Michigan does do well, because it helps OSU to have a strong league, but this kind of thinking is exactly what will drive Michigan back into the doldrums when they impulsively hire another Rich Rod.