Jerry Snodgrass on Black Swamp Podcast

braygatron4

Check out this podcast episode--Snodgrass talks about why he believes he was let go, and mentions the fact the OHSAA has essentially banned him from attending any high school athletic event in Ohio. Any monetary loss the OHSAA has experienced due to covid doesn't compare to them running Snodgrass out. Clowns!

As I posted on another thread, the OHSAA is just like government. It's the swamp.

Banning Snodgrass from OHSAA events is absurd. He's very well liked - hence the reason they didn't want him around after they canned him. Absolutely sickening.

If it's the swamp, what's the fix? The board of directors rolls over every 2 years and are voted on by the schools. Snodgrass was in charge for two years and nothing really changed.

Do schools need to vote better people on the board? something else?

I thought he was a decent leader but he talks about himself an awful lot. I can see why he rubbed some people the wrong way.

Was told he was not good with his staff when he became the top dog. They’ll get you in today’s political correct world.

He was really let go because he damn near drove the OHSAA to financial ruin. He burned through their savings at the cyclic rate. Now someone might say that the pandemic was the real reason but he could not shut things down fast enough, did not trim staff fast enough and was a follower not a leader. He was not the right guy for these "unprecedented" times. Heard he was a really nice guy and he that he was all about the kids but money makes the world go around and there was no plan to make the OHSAA solvent.

He was really let go because he damn near drove the OHSAA to financial ruin. He burned through their savings at the cyclic rate. Now someone might say that the pandemic was the real reason but he could not shut things down fast enough, did not trim staff fast enough and was a follower not a leader. He was not the right guy for these "unprecedented" times. Heard he was a really nice guy and he that he was all about the kids but money makes the world go around and there was no plan to make the OHSAA solvent.
Would love to see you prove that

Let me start by saying that I have not listened to the interview........

He was really let go because he damn near drove the OHSAA to financial ruin. He burned through their savings at the cyclic rate.
You have made this allegation in the past while admitting you have no data, only "what you heard".... So, please identify the asset category that he drained. Is it cash on hand?

Now someone might say that the pandemic was the real reason but he could not shut things down fast enough, did not trim staff fast enough and was a follower not a leader.

What staff should he have let go? Who hired that staff?

He was not the right guy for these "unprecedented" times. Heard he was a really nice guy and he that he was all about the kids but money makes the world go around and there was no plan to make the OHSAA solvent.

The OHSAA, with less than 60 minutes notice, was effectively shut down by the governor of Ohio on March 12, 2020. Jerry was let go on July 6.
Please tell me how you expected Jerry to have a plan to make the OHSAA "solvent" in 127 days when we still don't have things figured out after 333 days?

Remember, almost 80% of all revenue for the OHSAA comes from tournament ticket revenue..... that spigot remains effectively shut off to this day.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I have not listened to the interview........

You have made this allegation in the past while admitting you have no data, only "what you heard".... So, please identify the asset category that he drained. Is it cash on hand?

What staff should he have let go? Who hired that staff?

The OHSAA, with less than 60 minutes notice, was effectively shut down by the governor of Ohio on March 12, 2020. Jerry was let go on July 6.
Please tell me how you expected Jerry to have a plan to make the OHSAA "solvent" in 127 days when we still don't have things figured out after 333 days?

Remember, almost 80% of all revenue for the OHSAA comes from tournament ticket revenue..... that spigot remains effectively shut off to this day.

This BASESWIMPARENT dude has to be a burner for one of the board members that sent Jerry packing..only explanation

posting this question again, if anyone has an idea.

If it's the swamp, what's the fix? The board of directors rolls over every 2 years and are voted on by the schools. Snodgrass was in charge for two years and nothing really changed.

Dan Leffingwell, is that you?

posting this question again, if anyone has an idea.

I've worked at an organization with a bunch of good ole boys, boards and employees who work to the tune of "this is the way we've always done it here." You don't change that mentality quickly. And typically if you do, there's backlash. It's a no win situation unless you are a "yes man."

Hell, I've not heard anything from the new guy since he was announced.

I've worked at an organization with a bunch of good ole boys, boards and employees who work to the tune of "this is the way we've always done it here." You don't change that mentality quickly. And typically if you do, there's backlash. It's a no win situation unless you are a "yes man."

Hell, I've not heard anything from the new guy since he was announced.

So is the fix, essentially, that schools need to stop voting "good ol boys" onto the board?

It's almost an impossible fix outside of just getting rid of about everyone and starting with a clean slate. And will that ever happen? No.

Yes, schools SHOULD take a hard look at who they are voting for on the board, but how many do (where have we seen this play out before?) And it's not like there is a giant slate of people running each time. Are there some good ones? Yes. But look at the OHSAA history - there's a lot of mistrust there. It wasn't long ago they had the luxury trip issues.

Jerry was very available and open and the good ole boys didn't like that (where have we seen this story before?). He was actually the liaison between the Association and it's members that was sorely needed to regain trust. Kids loved him. If he truly had issues with budgets, adjust the role for someone else to assist with that part of it and let Snodgrass do his thing as the face of the organization. The budgets and direction fall on the board as well, so they should have assumed some responsibility for that.

As I said earlier, the new guy has been crickets.

The good ole boy that led the charge was the female board member from Wyoming.

The new chief operating officer was a new position created after Jerry was removed. Can't imagine that was a fiscally responsible decision, adding a new position with a six figure salary during covid.

Dan Leffingwell, is that you?
Nope, just trying to clear up all smoke. It is and will always be about the money. The accounts are a matter of public record. We talked about on this board when he was cut loose. Somebody posted their budget. If the the Governor or the state public health office actually did order things shut th down, then Snodgrass should have tried like hell to get it back and going with some kind of online paid subscription, not permanently shut down spring sports, immediately furloughed all but the most non-essential people and begged the governor for some kind of stop gap funding. Instead, he looked to have done nothing but say yes sir or maam to whomever with no idea on how he was going to make the OHSAA solvent. That is why they ended hiring a chief operating officer. My guess is that they are trying to professionalize these things.

Last edited:
Nope, just trying to clear up all smoke. It is and will always be about the money. The accounts are a matter of public record. We talked about on this board when he was cut loose. Somebody posted their budget. If the the Governor or the state public health office actually did order things shut th down, then Snodgrass should have tried like hell to get it back and going with some kind of online paid subscription, not permanently shut down spring sports, immediately furloughed all but the most non-essential people and begged the governor for some kind of stop gap funding. Instead, he looked to have done nothing but say yes sir or maam to whomever with no idea on how he was going to make the OHSAA solvent. That is why they ended hiring a chief operating officer. My guess is that they are trying to professionalize these things.
My guess is you really have very little knowledge of what happened, how the ohsaa operates and the politics that led to this change. Your suggestions on how to handle last spring are unrealistic and second guessing after the fact. Right or wrong the entire freaking country shut down and you are talking about the commissioner of an athletic association and how the spring season should have been played.

My guess is you really have very little knowledge of what happened, how the ohsaa operates and the politics that led to this change. Your suggestions on how to handle last spring are unrealistic and second guessing after the fact. Right or wrong the entire freaking country shut down and you are talking about the commissioner of an athletic association and how the spring season should have been played.
He got fired and nobody knew or had a clue as to why except the budget was busted all this happened after everyone who knows him said and still says he is a great guy. I am sure he was and I am sure that he still is but when you are floating ideas out there that high schools were going to have make a cash call and nothing was done to save money after everything was shut down, maybe, just maybe the board decided that things needed to be professionally administered.

He got fired and nobody knew or had a clue as to why except the budget was busted all this happened after everyone who knows him said and still says he is a great guy. I am sure he was and I am sure that he still is but when you are floating ideas out there that high schools were going to have make a cash call and nothing was done to save money after everything was shut down, maybe, just maybe the board decided that things needed to be professionally administered.
My guess has now been confirmed. You have no idea what you are talking about concerning this topic.

HE GOT FIRED!!!! Out of the Blue and it was so surprising that WLW reported it. He was loved by everyone. Every AD I know respected him. You tell me why? Because certain people did not like him? Enlighten us!!!

So is the fix, essentially, that schools need to stop voting "good ol boys" onto the board?
They do it in all political every year in every thing. You wonder why this country is a mess. Vote qualifications , not the good ole boys and girls.

Nope, just trying to clear up all smoke. It is and will always be about the money. The accounts are a matter of public record.

You made the claim that he drained the savings..... Yet you have not pointed to anything in the financials that proves this....

There's a reason for that.

If the the Governor or the state public health office actually did order things shut th down,

IF the governor shut things down?

Where were you in March, 2020 ?

then Snodgrass should have tried like hell to get it back and going with some kind of online paid subscription, not permanently shut down spring sports, immediately furloughed all but the most non-essential people and begged the governor for some kind of stop gap funding. Instead, he looked to have done nothing but say yes sir or maam to whomever with no idea on how he was going to make the OHSAA solvent. That is why they ended hiring a chief operating officer.

- He was given 2 days notice that their biggest revenue generator was not going to have 95% of that generator's revenue available to him. Then he was given 1 hour's notice that the remaining 5% was cancelled. There was no opportunity to reschedule, however the OHSAA did make contingency plans in the event the restrictions were removed.... they never were.

- He laid off staff, cut salaries.... including a BIG cut of his own salary, and cancelled staff events that would have cost money.

- Planning a subscription service for the state tournament was moot because the governor would not allow the events to take place.

-
Spring sports were not allowed to take place.... (see governor) However, a plan was in place to allow those sports to take place......

- Fall sports were in serious jeopardy. The ball was rolling to get the sports played as normal or with restrictions long before the firing.

- The governor's office never included the OHSAA in any resumption of sports plan until after Jerry "begged" them to include them in talks.... Those talks were scheduled for July 7.... a day after he was fired.

My guess is that they are trying to professionalize these things.

Might I suggest you stop guessing?

Everything I posted is fact. You have posted nothing but false allegations and Monday Morning QB stuff.

And finally..... Again........please detail how he "drained" the OHSAA's savings.....

You made the claim that he drained the savings..... Yet you have not pointed to anything in the financials that proves this....

There's a reason for that.

IF the governor shut things down?

Where were you in March, 2020 ?

- He was given 2 days notice that their biggest revenue generator was not going to have 95% of that generator's revenue available to him. Then he was given 1 hour's notice that the remaining 5% was cancelled. There was no opportunity to reschedule, however the OHSAA did make contingency plans in the event the restrictions were removed.... they never were.

- He laid off staff, cut salaries.... including a BIG cut of his own salary, and cancelled staff events that would have cost money.

- Planning a subscription service for the state tournament was moot because the governor would not allow the events to take place.

-
Spring sports were not allowed to take place.... (see governor) However, a plan was in place to allow those sports to take place......

- Fall sports were in serious jeopardy. The ball was rolling to get the sports played as normal or with restrictions long before the firing.

- The governor's office never included the OHSAA in any resumption of sports plan until after Jerry "begged" them to include them in talks.... Those talks were scheduled for July 7.... a day after he was fired.

Might I suggest you stop guessing?

Everything I posted is fact. You have posted nothing but false allegations and Monday Morning QB stuff.

And finally..... Again........please detail how he "drained" the OHSAA's savings.....
No, you look it up. And then because you know so much, you tell me why this beloved (and I mean that literally) administrator was fired. I know the State authority canceled things. What I don't know is whether it was actually the Governor or the state Public Health Officer shut things down. I know, the point is moot but it was a technicality that I know people like you would love to pounce on. On this board, we talked about how the OHSAA was in bad financial shape after the basketball tourney was shut down and how it was bad that the loss of baseball tourney was going to hit finances. We also talked about how schools hay be asked to pony up some money to keep the OHSAA solvent. I remember those board conversations. I have also heard about but cannot confirm some of his stances on resuming fall activities and when. And then he was FIRED? Why? There doesn't seem to be any malfeasance committed by him that is either criminal or ethical. And then they hired a professional chief executive officer or something like that. So again, since you know so much, enlighten us to why he was let go.

Last edited:
No, you look it up. And then because you know so much, you tell me why this beloved ( and I mean that literally) administrator was fired.
You allege that he burned through cash.......

The financials show otherwise. That's why you can't post any proof. Heck, you even admitted that you had no data to support the claim....

Supposedly, one of the reasons Snodgrass was axed was because the OHSAA's poor financial health as in he burned through the rainy day fund. Don't have data, just what was mentioned when he was let go.

The financials do not support your claim.
The facts do not support your claim.

Why Jerry was fired was purely a political power play by the board. The details.... and there are many, will come out in due time. (after year one of his tenure they had more cash on hand than when he started..... look it up ;) )

As far as me loving Jerry...... another guess by you. I just can't stand when people make stuff up, which is exactly you are doing. Making allegations such as that would be just as silly me as alleging (with no data) that you are just a parent that is upset he "cost" your son his final sport season(s).

I don't make irresponsible claims like that...... neither should you.

You allege that he burned through cash.......

The financials show otherwise. That's why you can't post any proof. Heck, you even admitted that you had no data to support the claim....

The financials do not support your claim.
The facts do not support your claim.

Why Jerry was fired was purely a political power play by the board. The details.... and there are many, will come out in due time. (after year one of his tenure they had more cash on hand than when he started..... look it up ;) )

As far as me loving Jerry...... another guess by you. I just can't stand when people make stuff up, which is exactly you are doing. Making allegations such as that would be just as silly me as alleging (with no data) that you are just a parent that is upset he "cost" your son his final sport season(s).

I don't make irresponsible claims like that...... neither should you.
Can't find audited statements from 2019 to 2020 yet but I did find this: "The OHSAA is believed to have lost around $2 million in revenue with the cancellation of winter tournament ticket revenue and spring sports. Ticket sales represents 80% of OHSAA revenue. Related or not, the OHSAA has seen the departure of Chief Financial Officer Jeffrey Jordan, Associate Commissioner of Eligibility Dr. Deborah Moore and Director of Finance and Accounting Todd Boehm in recent months." Cincinnati Enquirer. July of 2020. So yeah, I am making things up. The financials may have been better after his first year but not after his second. An argument can be made that he is a victim of circumstance but the OHSAA was not financially healthy after the Spring of 2020. I am tired of the excuses that this beloved administrator was fired for political power play reasons. That the OHSAA is some complex, arcane organization that is controlled by an invisible cabal. Nonsense. Jerry Snodgrass rushed head first into putting the brakes on everything. He forgot who he really served, which is the OHSAA. With the loss of revenue and the rainy day fund burned through (I don't know why, maybe the cuts were not fast or deep enough), the OHSAA was in trouble. After that, who knows what conversation were had, but clearly there were disagreements between Jerry and the board on how to get out of that mess. If you think that the OHSAA was in good financial shape last summer you are either being disingenuous or you are fooling yourself. As far as my son missing his senior spring season, I was and I am still sad about it but Snodgrass had very little to do with that.

Last edited:
Can't find audited statements from 2019 to 2020 yet but I did find this: "The OHSAA is believed to have lost around $2 million in revenue with the cancellation of winter tournament ticket revenue and spring sports. Ticket sales represents 80% of OHSAA revenue. Related or not, the OHSAA has seen the departure of Chief Financial Officer Jeffrey Jordan, Associate Commissioner of Eligibility Dr. Deborah Moore and Director of Finance and Accounting Todd Boehm in recent months." Cincinnati Enquirer. July of 2020. So yeah, I am making things up. The financials may have been better after his first year but not after his second. An argument can be made that he is a victim of circumstance but the OHSAA was not financially healthy after the Spring of 2020. I am tired of the excuses that this beloved administrator was fired for political power play reasons. That the OHSAA is some complex, arcane organization that is controlled by an invisible cabal. Nonsense. Jerry Snodgrass rushed head first into putting the brakes on everything. He forgot who he really served, which is the OHSAA. With the loss of revenue and the rainy day fund burned through (I don't know why, maybe the cuts were not fast or deep enough), the OHSAA was in trouble. After that, who knows what conversation were had, but clearly there were disagreements between Jerry and the board on how to get out of that mess. If you think that the OHSAA was in good financial shape last summer you are either being disingenuous or you are fooling yourself. As far as my son missing his senior spring season, I was and I am still sad about it but Snodgrass had very little to do with that.

Yeah this is definitely a burner for some dude on the board that forced him out. No other way to explain

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't find audited statements from 2019 to 2020 yet

That's because generally, the audit report is not generally completed until late Jan-Feb of of the following year. Sometimes it may be as late as July.

but I did find this: "The OHSAA is believed to have lost around $2 million in revenue with the cancellation of winter tournament ticket revenue and spring sports. Ticket sales represents 80% of OHSAA revenue. Related or not, the OHSAA has seen the departure of Chief Financial Officer Jeffrey Jordan, Associate Commissioner of Eligibility Dr. Deborah Moore and Director of Finance and Accounting Todd Boehm in recent months." Cincinnati Enquirer. July of 2020. So yeah, I am making things up.

Related or not?

You continue to somehow think that the state basketball tournaments and the spring sports season should have somehow been played. You deny the fact the governor shut them down..... That in and of itself is dishonest from you. I believe that you are better than that.

Nowhere in what you posted above remotely mentions that the "rainy day fund" was depleted by mismanagement..... nowhere.... (goes back to your admission that you "don't have the data")

The financials may have been better after his first year but not after his second. An argument can be made that he is a victim of circumstance but the OHSAA was not financially healthy after the Spring of 2020.

There's no argument...... the governor shutting the state down put the OHSAA in a bad position.

I don't know why

You again admit you have no knowledge or proof..... but continue to make allegations.

If you think that the OHSAA was in good financial shape last summer you are either being disingenuous or you are fooling yourself.

Please post one quote from me that alleges that the OHSAA was in good financial shape. You will see quite the opposite.

You have made repeated allegations with no facts at hand....... This is no better than the Oyler/New Miami thread (basketball) where wild claims from people who admittedly were not in the gym caused people to take those claims and run with them. You have either initiated these claims in this matter or are ignorantly repeating them after hearing them from someone else.

Anyone who does that and continues to do that (while admitting multiple times that they have no basis for the claim) is being dishonest. The facts will come out in due time.

Last edited:
What the heck are you talking about? I just said that the OHSAA was in horrible financial shape and that is the reason Jerry got fired. You also said the data would prove I just proved that the the OHSAA was in horrible financial shape. You tell me to prove to It and instead tell me that he was fired for some nefarious political reason that will someday come out. I posit some legit reason and quote the loss of revenue and you come out with some conspiracy that will NEVER come out. And this guy is/was loved. So I am asking you again, quit hiding behind some hidden knowledge and tell us what caused Jerry to be fired out of the blue and for no reason. Money makes the world go around ALLSPORTS and shutting your revenue generators down with no solution to replace said revenue is a problem even for the OHSAA. It cost Jerry and a few others their jobs. if you have a different story, please enlighten us.

Last edited:
What the heck are you talking about? I just said that the OHSAA was in horrible financial shape and that is the reason Jerry got fired.
No.....

You said he got fired because "he drained the rainy day fund" I asked for you to show me how he drained this fund. (spending)

You also said the data would prove I just proved that the the OHSAA was in horrible financial shape.
Again, you made the above claim with no data. (how he "drained the rainy day rund")

You tell me to prove to It and instead tell me that he was fired for some nefarious political reason that will someday come out. I posit some legit reason and quote the loss of revenue and you come out with some conspiracy that will NEVER come out.

Neither one of us has posted specifics to our claims.....

You, on one hand, have admitted that you have no data to support said claim.

I, on the other hand was provided information in confidence from parties involved. That information is not public yet for a reason...... It will be in due time.

You have made the claim of wrongdoing without any basis in fact. You admit to that fact..... Yet you continue to repeat those claims...... That's dishonest.

Money makes the world go around ALLSPORTS and shutting your revenue generators down with no solution to replace said revenue is a problem even for the OHSAA. It cost Jerry and a few others their jobs. if you have a different story, please enlighten us.

By your assessment, anyone in the position would have been fired. No tournament = No revenue. Salaries were cut, jobs were furloughed...... Not one state association that had their tournaments cancelled was able to come up with a contingency plan to replace lost revenue without those tournaments being played.

I'm not going to apologize for honoring a confidence request that came with information provided to me. Disclosing that information would be just as dishonest as you either making up or repeating unfounded (by your own admission) claims for his firing.