Jeff Hornacek coddling Carmelo Anthony after ejection

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Carmelo Anthony gets ejected for a cheap shot at the head of Thabo Sefolosha. Instead of just accepting his punishment, Carmelo Anthony and his coach make excuses. The bizarre part is that the play is on video and Jeff Hornacek tried to makeup stuff that just didn't happen. Why not come down hard on a selfish player who may have cost the team a win? At no point did Sefolosha grab Anthony around the neck...

Anthony said his reaction was more about just “getting him off of me,” and Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek agreed.

“You’re going to get the guy off you. It’s a natural reaction. You’re not going to let a guy grab you around the neck,” Hornacek said. “To me, that’s more inadvertent. It’s a reaction. If someone grabs you up there, you throw your hands up.

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/carmelo-anthony-thabo-sefolosha-european-flop/341333”

I'm not a Melo fan AT ALL. I think he's an over paid selfish baby. That being said, I really don't see all that much in this video, unless there's more to it.

Yes. Watched it several times. Looks more like he rubbed his elbow in his face.

I think it's a technical and definitely uncalled for, but it wasn't much of a shot. I've seen worse incidental contact. I'm not sure he made contact with his elbow at all. :shrug:

I think you guys are missing the part of Hornacek's quote about Sefolosha grabbing Melo around the neck.

"You’re not going to let a guy grab you around the neck,” Hornacek said.

At no point did Sefolosha grab him around the neck. It wasn't even close. For a coach to just makeup something that didn't happen to excuse his player's behavior is unacceptable.

The NBA needs more coaches and fewer enablers. Hornacek just proved which group he belongs in with that outrageous quote.

Probably was told he had Melo around the neck. It doesn't really matter, what Hornacek says to the press isn't necessarily how he is treating it in the clubhouse. I don't see the point in lighting Melo up in the press, I'd handle it privately.

Probably was told he had Melo around the neck. It doesn't really matter, what Hornacek says to the press isn't necessarily how he is treating it in the clubhouse. I don't see the point in lighting Melo up in the press, I'd handle it privately.

That may be what you would do, but do you think that is how Hornacek is handling it? Or do you think that he is 100% supportive of his superstar?

Seems the NBA is the worst league for coaches to have authority. Players have the power and the coaches that want to keep their job have two choices, be a winner or be a coddler. IMO, Hornacek has made his choice.

That may be what you would do, but do you think that is how Hornacek is handling it? Or do you think that he is 100% supportive of his superstar?

Seems the NBA is the worst league for coaches to have authority. Players have the power and the coaches that want to keep their job have two choices, be a winner or be a coddler. IMO, Hornacek has made his choice.

Pro basketball coaches get paid to be babysitters. Not new. Sad.

I can hear coaches now: If I can only last another year...