Jadeveon Clowney to South Carolina

Clyde Frog

The top high school recruit in the land, Jadeveon Clowney, selected South Carolina earlier today on SportsCenter as the college he will be attending this fall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6118985

This is a huge pickup for the Gamecocks. I've only been seriously following recruiting since I started college in 2005, but Clowney is maybe the best college prospect I've seen in the past 5-6 years. His combination of size, speed and strength doesn't come along every year, and the dude had 57 sacks his final two seasons of high school combined!

Rumor is he doesn't have the grades to enter next year.

Yeah a rumor made up by Hargrave's coach. Spurrier said yesterday he is expected to quailify.

Also ask yourself, when was the last time the #1 overall recruit didn't make it into school

Yeah a rumor made up by Hargrave's coach. Spurrier said yesterday he is expected to quailify.

Also ask yourself, when was the last time the #1 overall recruit didn't make it into school

I have no clue if a #1 have ever not qualified, but why would that matter?

The kid is going to the big in state school that is on the verge of a break through season, no way does he not make the grades.

I am not sure, a kid in this years class, Dexter Staley, is only a 3*, according to the services he is a 4* talent, but because he has no chance at getting into school with JUCO/Prep they only gave him 3*

29.5 sack his senior year? 5 defensive touchdowns? :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow.

"Clowney, a 6-6, 245-pounder from South Pointe High School in Rock Hill, S.C., was named USA TODAY's National Defensive Player of the Year and "Mr. Football" in the state of South Carolina. He tallied 162 tackles, 29.5 sacks, 29 tackles for loss, 11 forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries, and scored five touchdowns on defense while leading his team to a 13-2 record and a runnerup finish in the state playoffs as a senior. He also rushed 20 times for 274 yards and nine touchdowns in spot duty as a running back for head coach Bobby Carroll. "

"Clowney, a 6-6, 245-pounder from South Pointe High School in Rock Hill, S.C., was named USA TODAY's National Defensive Player of the Year and "Mr. Football" in the state of South Carolina. He tallied 162 tackles, 29.5 sacks, 29 tackles for loss, 11 forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries, and scored five touchdowns on defense while leading his team to a 13-2 record and a runnerup finish in the state playoffs as a senior. He also rushed 20 times for 274 yards and nine touchdowns in spot duty as a running back for head coach Bobby Carroll. "
Those are absolutely unreal stats.

I've read a decent amount of Clowney being borderline for qualifying and the funny thing is Spurrier said he's in a lot better shape than a lot of the other guys. I guess thats another reason they sign so many down south.. they're not as smart.

That article does explicitly say that...

He has yet to qualify academically.

The followup article also says that Clowney will qualify, not that he has already qualified.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ble-to-play-football-at-South-Carolina-021411

The followup article says that he...

will retake the ACT on Feb. 28 and another time after that. Currently, he said, he is retaking freshman English and geometry from his sophomore year to replace D grades that he made in both classes.

That doesn't sound like a slam dunk to me. :shrug: It sounds like he really has his work cut out for him to get eligible for next season.