IVC 2020

Get your basketball shoes on hugging man buns, wood just a flash in the pan.
I don’t follow basketball very much but from what I remember we wiped you guys in basketball last year too. However I know we lost Smith and Stoffer so maybe you guys will beat us. Also no tingle for the majority of the basketball season. If at all. So here’s your chance to really come after me! I’ll be looking forward to it little man ?

Get your basketball shoes on hugging man buns, wood just a flash in the pan.
How many regional titles has Sandy played in? How many recently??? May end same week difference is we played for a regional title you play for a participation trophy. Seems right for up there. But yeah we will see ya in basketball that’ll be the next sport you get ran off of.

You ppl love to talk your arse off and come unhinged if anyone retorts back. You’re way to easy, taking all your candy.......

What a run the soulless winning machine is on. 50-6 in the last six regular seasons. 4 IVC championships. 7-5 in the playoffs. 2 regional final appearances. People want to run down the Wood because they haven’t won a state title, in my opinion, I’d say that they’ve been pretty darn successful regardless of no state title. They’ve lost SIX games in six seasons. 3 which came in one season!!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Ridgewood had a hell of a year this year!! It was very unfortunate that Tingle got injured because who knows what could of happened if he was healthy. Some ridgewood fans have became really obsessed with talking about Sandy Valley for some reason haha let the hate go!!!
They ruin it for the rest and turn an informative forum into west Lafayette mud.....

With not being able to get over the hump of regional finals, one would think Ridgewood would consider playing some of the programs that may be bumping them out each year to get a look as a program of where they need to be. Certainly winning those 4 IVC titles have been fun, but they should look to showcasing a game at beginning of season with someone they will eventually see in playoffs. Allows the team to see where they need to be.

With not being able to get over the hump of regional finals, one would think Ridgewood would consider playing some of the programs that may be bumping them out each year to get a look as a program of where they need to be. Certainly winning those 4 IVC titles have been fun, but they should look to showcasing a game at beginning of season with someone they will eventually see in playoffs. Allows the team to see where they need to be.

I don't know how Ridgewood can emulate having two power 5 recruits at the D5 level, can you enlighten me on that? When you play the regional final without your best player, your chances aren't going to be great. Ironton didn't do anything fancy scheme wise, or defensively. They literally lined up every play knowing that we have the two best players on the field and, eventually, you will get tired of tackling them.

Eliminate crossovers, add two OOC games and schedule top division teams.

really not that hard. Of all the teams in the IVC one would think Ridgewood would be a strong voice to eliminate crossovers, as they do little to help the team prep for these games deep in the playoffs. I am in no way dogging the generals, but you have to admit they could strengthen schedule (and scheduling a bad d3 is not strengthening schedule either)

Ridgewood had a hell of a year this year!! It was very unfortunate that Tingle got injured because who knows what could of happened if he was healthy. Some ridgewood fans have became really obsessed with talking about Sandy Valley for some reason haha let the hate go!!!
Alot of respect for Ridgewood Athletics,have some great friends associated with their programs,praying Tingle will heal completly!

First of all, beyond grateful that all of the team got to complete their seasons. That alone makes this year a huge success. Unfortunately, the IVC has some serious bad luck in the playoffs this year IMO. Sandy Valley was good enough of a team to win a game in the traditional playoff rounds (round of 32) but unfortunately got paired up with Kirtland.

Garaway IMO could've easily gotten to the round of 8 and may be on the top 5-6 teams in the state behind Kirtland, Ironton, Ridgewood and South Range. After those four, I think Garaway was as good as anyone. Unfortunately, got paired with Kirtland in the round of 16.

This may have been the year for Ridgewood to win it all. I feel so bad for them to go down without their best player and one of the best DV players in the state. I watched the game and Ridgewood would have had a real strong chance to beat Ironton with Tingle.

Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game and at the end of the day the IVC still has zero state titles and zero state title game appearances in the nearly 50 years of OHSAA football playoffs. That's really unbelievable to think about. Hopefully it'll happen one day.

Last edited:
First of all, beyond grateful that all of the team not to complete their seasons. That alone makes this year a huge success. Unfortunately, the IVC has some serious bad luck in the playoffs this year IMO. Sandy Valley was good enough of a team to win a game in the traditional playoff rounds (round of 32) but unfortunately got paired up with Kirtland.

Garaway IMO could've easily gotten to the round of 8 and may be on the top 5-6 teams in the state behind Kirtland, Ironton, Ridgewood and South Range. After those four, I think Garaway was as good as anyone. Unfortunately, got paired with Kirtland in the round of 16.

This may have been the year for Ridgewood to win it all. I feel so bad for them to go down without their best player and one of the best DV players in the state. I watched the game and Ridgewood would have had a real strong chance to beat Ironton with Tingle.

Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game and at the end of the day the IVC still has zero state titles and zero state title game appearances in the nearly 50 years of OHSAA football playoffs. That's really unbelievable to think about. Hopefully it'll happen one day.
Mentor/Kirtland are 2.8 miles away from each other. Mentor is a behemoth of a school, you can understand how Kirtland would get the spill over of athletes that are great, but just not great enough to be starting for mentor. It’s this way in many other communities across the state. The IVC generally doesn’t have any schools that can inherit players to help make them compete and grow a stud program to have a better shot at a state title. Not an excuse. But if you don’t believe me, take a drive up to Kirtland and drive it’s boundaries within mentors area. It’ll all make a lot of sense to ya. Just my spin. The IVC is a great homegrown league imo.

Last edited:
Mentor/Kirtland are 2.8 miles away from each other. Mentor is a behemoth of a school, you can understand how Kirtland would get the spill over of athletes that are great, but just not great enough to be starting for mentor. It’s this way in many other communities across the state. The IVC generally doesn’t have any schools that can inherit players to help make them compete and grow a stud program to have a better shot at a state title. Not an excuse. But if you don’t believe me, take a drive up to Kirtland and drive it’s boundaries within mentors area. It’ll all make a lot of sense to ya. Just my spin. The IVC is a great homegrown league imo.
I don’t mean to start any beef, but I would like to set things straight. Kirtland is closed enrollment.
Their CB # is 0. They’re one of the 16% of schools in the state of Ohio according to the ODOE that does not partake in open enrollment.

The kids that started football together in 1st grade are the same kids that play together in 12th grade. There’s no tiered system where Mentor defers their “decent but not good enough” players to Kirtland and there’s never been one.

Kirtland has never inherited players since LaVerde took over. He’s had homegrown talent through and through & prevented them from transferring out to the Lake Catholic’s & St. Ignatius’ of private schools.

I was very disappointed to hear on the YSN broadcast during pregame that someone thought Mentor’s decent players would move to Lake Catholic and if they weren’t good enough for Lake, they would go to Kirtland. It’s not like that at all. Just like most if not all of the IVC, Kirtland has homegrown talent only and it’s a very special feeling when they do so well year in and year out.

With that being said, I will say that Kirtland and fans like myself have immense respect for the IVC & their schools/communities. Sure we only face off in the playoffs, but the games have been mostly tough on the players, and the communities come off as nothing but humble to me. The IVC had at least three solid teams this year in Garaway, Sandy Valley, and especially Ridgewood who I would have honestly been worried about facing.

Sorry if I came across as angry. Not angry at all, just wanted to set the record straight.

I don’t mean to start any beef, but I would like to set things straight. Kirtland is closed enrollment.
Their CB # is 0. They’re one of the 16% of schools in the state of Ohio according to the ODOE that does not partake in open enrollment.

The kids that started football together in 1st grade are the same kids that play together in 12th grade. There’s no tiered system where Mentor defers their “decent but not good enough” players to Kirtland and there’s never been one.

Kirtland has never inherited players since LaVerde took over. He’s had homegrown talent through and through & prevented them from transferring out to the Lake Catholic’s & St. Ignatius’ of private schools.

I was very disappointed to hear on the YSN broadcast during pregame that someone thought Mentor’s decent players would move to Lake Catholic and if they weren’t good enough for Lake, they would go to Kirtland. It’s not like that at all. Just like most if not all of the IVC, Kirtland has homegrown talent only and it’s a very special feeling when they do so well year in and year out.

With that being said, I will say that Kirtland and fans like myself have immense respect for the IVC & their schools/communities. Sure we only face off in the playoffs, but the games have been mostly tough on the players, and the communities come off as nothing but humble to me. The IVC had at least three solid teams this year in Garaway, Sandy Valley, and especially Ridgewood who I would have honestly been worried about facing.

Sorry if I came across as angry. Not angry at all, just wanted to set the record straight.
Good to know. Keep up the good fight.

You’ve been talking your nonsense all year. Time to let you know you’re a little fish. Here to please.
Trying to find all this nonsense I talked. I just called Sandy for what they were. Not that great (at least compared to Ridgewood.. or even Garaway). And I made a very mild joke about Sandy being #1 in preseason rankings for next year and the SV faithful got their panties in a twist. Especially you. You’ve been entertaining this “little fish” for the past two days lol. Unbunch you’re undies and get over it :LOL:

Yeah, so that's a good story, but it's not even remotely true. Kirtland is not an open enrollment school.

I can understand envying their program, but to dismiss their success as they "inherit" their players from a bigger school is insulting to them & just silly. By that logic Tuslaw should be kicking in folks teeth with the scraps who can't get on the field from Massillon.

IVC is a good league and Ridgewood not making it to state doesn't change that. There's no need to bad mouth a program that should be the idol of every small school outside of the MAC to make yourself feel better.

PS - There is not doubt 'Wood would have kicked in Ironton's teeth if Tingle played. Have not seen a defense make Ironton look that pedestrian since the '19 title game against Kirtland.

1604970723301.png

Kirt - Apparently I should have read to the end of the thread before responding, but thanks for providing the CB#. I started my post with the intent of looking it up and got sidetracked. Congrats on last week.

Sorry Hammer but this post is way off. First of all, as has already been pointed our Kirtland does not accept open enrollment players and is winning state titles with a completely homegrown program.

But the IVC isn't just a DV league. It's basically a DV-DVII league with the exception of Indian Valley and Claymont. Well let's look at last year's state champions in those divisions. They were Kirtland (DV), Anna (DVI) and Marion Local (DVII). None of those teams are getting transfers. They are all homegrown programs. Go through the DV-DVII champions over the years and you are seeing Kirtland, Marion Local, Coldwater, Minster, Wheelersburg, Fort Recovery, McComb, etc. These are homegrown programs. There are a few years CCC or JFK won but for the most part the teams that are winning aren't getting move ins.

But let's go even further. Who were the best two teams in the IVC this year? Ridgewood and Garaway. Well, correct me if I am wrong but didn't both of their QBs start somewhere else? Didn't Newsome go to Garaway from Dover because he couldn't win the job at Dover? Doesn't Garaway have a ton of transfers and a very high competitive balance? Please note, I'm not bashing Garaway. They've done nothing wrong other than make their program attractive but let's not act like the IVC schools are at a transfer disadvantage..

The IVC is a good league. The league has won state titles in basketball, baseball, softball, golf and other sports. But for some reason the league can't crack the code in football. I don't know the reason why but it is amazing that nobody in the league can get it done.

Sorry Hammer but this post is way off. First of all, as has already been pointed our Kirtland does not accept open enrollment players and is winning state titles with a completely homegrown program.

But the IVC isn't just a DV league. It's basically a DV-DVII league with the exception of Indian Valley and Claymont. Well let's look at last year's state champions in those divisions. They were Kirtland (DV), Anna (DVI) and Marion Local (DVII). None of those teams are getting transfers. They are all homegrown programs. Go through the DV-DVII champions over the years and you are seeing Kirtland, Marion Local, Coldwater, Minster, Wheelersburg, Fort Recovery, McComb, etc. These are homegrown programs. There are a few years CCC or JFK won but for the most part the teams that are winning aren't getting move ins.

But let's go even further. Who were the best two teams in the IVC this year? Ridgewood and Garaway. Well, correct me if I am wrong but didn't both of their QBs start somewhere else? Didn't Newsome go to Garaway from Dover because he couldn't win the job at Dover? Doesn't Garaway have a ton of transfers and a very high competitive balance? Please note, I'm not bashing Garaway. They've done nothing wrong other than make their program attractive but let's not act like the IVC schools are at a transfer disadvantage..

The IVC is a good league. The league has won state titles in basketball, baseball, softball, golf and other sports. But for some reason the league can't crack the code in football. I don't know the reason why but it is amazing that nobody in the league can get it done.
I feel ya. We see it so often with the transfer situation throughout the state. ( or should I say, I/we hear it) i forgot about the transfers you speak of from Way and even Wood to a degree. I guess the IVC isn’t where it needs to be yet. And it may show in the mentality that we project on this forum year after year, we tear each other down to make us individually feel better about our own programs as if they have no deficiencies when in reality the holes are obvious to anyone outside looking in at each program. Alas, I guess we have IVC banners to hang our hats on ??‍♂️

Ridgewood goes down to Ironton for the second straight year. 17-7. I really think Ridgewood wins that game with #2. As soon as Ironton figured out the power formation there was no offense to be had. Defense played well but just got tired. Yet another impressive season for the Wood. To the kids I know it feels disappointing now but there’s thousands and thousands of kids across the state that can only dream of what you guys have accomplished over the last 3 years. You make everyone in the WL so proud and we love you all. With that the IVC football season has officially come to a close. So glad and thankful we got to play this year. Hopefully Covid is behind us next fall. Until next August, GO WOOD IVC CHAMPS 2020

(btw I think SV just jumped to #1 in the way too early power rankings of the IVC next year. Am I right?!:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:)

Did you see the way ironton got smacked around 38-0 by the team sandy scored 28 points on. Hoagie all quiet with his basketball shoes on ?