IT IS THE CORONAVIRUS OF HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE BASEBALL COACHES

thavoice

The top baseball programs in SWO are also known for using the bunt often and effectively. It’s not an either/or thing. Bunts and bunt defense often determines the outcome of league, district and regional games when shut down pitchers are on the mound.
Those programs must not teach the kids to hit very well if they have to rely on the bunt......

Right?

I understand college coaches coming to summer games not wanting to see you bunt. I also don't have a big problem with it because the outcome of summer games is not really all that important in the grand scheme of things (to me). However, in a high school game where you are competing for conference, sectional, district and state championships I think you play to win the game (Herm Edwards voice). Bunting is a part of the game and should be used if it is to your teams advantage or potential advantage. I love every part game execution whether it is a HR or sac bunt.
I also find it ludicrous to think that every kid that participates in hitting groups and/or hitting leagues will be a "good" hitter on a high school team. There are plenty of D1 high schools that don't have a 1-9/10 lineup that can hit "good". Is it just the sac bunt that you have an issue with or all bunting?

BASESWIMPARENT

The top baseball programs in SWO are also known for using the bunt often and effectively. It’s not an either/or thing. Bunts and bunt defense often determines the outcome of league, district and regional games when shut down pitchers are on the mound.
I think we bunt too often around here. But there is no denying that it is an effective tool especially late in close games. Watched a couple of heavy hitter D1 programs where one team threw a no hitter and the other threw a two hitter. I only remember seeing one bunt and that was an attempt at getting a hit. I would have though that there would have been more bunting in that game because both pitchers were so dominant. I was surprised that there wasn't. Going back a couple of years ago, a certain team form warren county probably could have used a well executed bunt in the state semi-finals. So I see your point. But we seem to do a lot.