It’s Time for a Shot Clock

As a long time proponent on this forum of HS basketball going to a shot clock, the good news that Ohio can do it if it wants to without any problems with the national association of state high school athletic programs. So tell your AD it is time for Ohio to move the game forward and allow for shot clocks! That is how will be done.

As a long time proponent on this forum of HS basketball going to a shot clock, the good news that Ohio can do it if it wants to without any problems with the national association of state high school athletic programs. So tell your AD it is time for Ohio to move the game forward and allow for shot clocks! That is how will be done.
Don’t forget to volunteer to run said clock as well!

My concern is another expensive addition to game nights. Do you have the clock at every level? What about girls games? Middle school?

if it happens, I hope it is HS only AND they remove the 3 point line from MS games as well.

You want a 14 year old to entertain you?
Ok, i see how you debate. Probably the same way you ref.
Gyms are filled around the country with parents, families , friends , students, bands , cheering sections, cheerleaders , concessions, and they charge to get in.
so why do you think all that happens?

Ok, i see how you debate. Probably the same way you ref.
And I see how you react when someone disagrees with you. You resort to weak insults..... and refuse to answer the question. (do you expect a 14yr old kid to entertain you?)
Gyms are filled around the country with parents, families , friends , students, bands , cheering sections, cheerleaders , concessions, and they charge to get in.
so why do you think all that happens?
It's the HS experience. It's why those gyms are filled with those aforementioned when the are two single digit win teams are playing late in the season.

Last edited:
Wins are mostly determinedly on the defensive end of the floor. Running offense teaches a lot of fundamentals. Racing it down the floor and jacking it up teaches few.
It's not about "jacking up" a shot, it's about creating a shot. In my opinion many young men aren't looking to create, but simply be a cog within the offense. I get it we all have different opinions, but in the HS ball I've watched this year it needs a strong shot of scoring.

My concern is another expensive addition to game nights. Do you have the clock at every level? What about girls games? Middle school?

if it happens, I hope it is HS only AND they remove the 3 point line from MS games as well.
Employing the shot clock will be a boys and girls change. (for obvious reasons) Whether or not its used at levels below varsity will be up to each individual state.

Florida for example leaves it up to the schools (both have to agree), opening up the possibility for a shot clock one night, but not the next. 🤷‍♂️ Iowa mandates it for varsity, but leaves it open to levles below.

I'm with you on ignoring the 3pt line below the freshman level.

It's not about "jacking up" a shot, it's about creating a shot. In my opinion many young men aren't looking to create, but simply be a cog within the offense. I get it we all have different opinions, but in the HS ball I've watched this year it needs a strong shot of scoring.
The down side will be the one-on-one starting between the jump circle and the three point line as the clock is winding down.

The primary purpose of high school basketball is to win. Not get kids ready for college. A team striving to win develops all the qualities that you should be trying to teach. Teamwork, discipline, integrity to the group, etc. It’s nice if they develop and get to play at the next level. But again, it’s about the team winning. Sounds like the dumb shat that Calipari says about Kentucky basketball, which is why they underachieve every year. Don’t be ridiculous. No college coach has ever said that to you or anyone else.
The purpose of coaching HS basketball is to develop, of course you want to go out and try to win every game but the development is what parents look for when deciding on a school that lines up with their academic and athletic beliefs for their child. A shot clock in Ohio will force coaches to adapt but also develop guys to make decisions quicker as they would have to make at the next level. You can believe whatever you'd like but I am very well connected in the world of basketball

The purpose of coaching HS basketball is to develop, of course you want to go out and try to win every game but the development is what parents look for when deciding on a school that lines up with their academic and athletic beliefs for their child. A shot clock in Ohio will force coaches to adapt but also develop guys to make decisions quicker as they would have to make at the next level. You can believe whatever you'd like but I am very well connected in the world of basketball
Excellent post and I agree with most. I don't necessarily think they have to concern themselves so much with developing for the next level as much as just developing better players in general.

Excellent post and I agree with most. I don't necessarily think they have to concern themselves so much with developing for the next level as much as just developing better players in general.
100% just developing a better player and helping them develop a strong basketball IQ that gives them the ability to play in any system that college would offer them

No it will force the coaches to put a system together that is effective and efficient no more holding the ball for two minutes because you don't believe your team can compete
One would hope that to be true.......

There's a reason why the states using the shot clock prior to this year are not in the 10 ten in scoring. (and remember, they have been using the clock for years)

There's a couple of schools in the Cincy area that people complain about (holding the ball) that do quite well competing..... and winning state championships.

The next level is for very few HS players. So if that is the goal it's truly the tail wagging the dog.

Boy
And I see how you react when somwomne disagrees with you. You resort to weak insults..... and refuse to answer the question. (do you expect a 14yr old kid to entertain you?)

It's the HS experience. It's why those gyms are filled with those aforementioned when the are two single digit win teams are playing late in the season.
kinda loaded question bro, thats what im talking about with you. I mean I went to my daughters and sons games, plays, recitals for years from toddler age to teenage yrs and was entertained. What do you think the jump rope kids at halftime( which are top notch) are there for, entertainment Quit the undertones

I don't know that any Cincy schools really play stall ball. Sure they might take the air out at the end of quarters to get a final possession, but they are not purposefully stalling.

On the other hand, there are many teams in Cincy, imo, that will not stray from coach mandated sets and looped offenses. That's not really stalling, but I think it hampers development over the long haul.

I don't know that any Cincy schools really play stall ball. Sure they might take the air out at the end of quarters to get a final possession, but they are not purposefully stalling.

On the other hand, there are many teams, imo, that will not stray from coach mandated sets and looped offenses. That's not really stalling, but I think it hampers development over the long haul.
Well, they are the players and they should not stray from what the coach wants them to run. If they do their own thing frequently they will be a spectator/waterboy soon.

Well, they are the players and they should not stray from what the coach wants them to run. If they do their own thing frequently they will be a spectator/waterboy soon.
There's a balance for sure. I just wish more coaches would give some additional freedom every now and then, especially when they struggle to score in some games.

Giving them too much freedom probably causes more struggles scoring which is why the coaches put in a certain offense.
Well, if a shot clock is coming, which looks to now have the door open, they're going to have to adapt some. You're going to need players than can create in situations where the shot clock is running down. Yes, I know about the stats on the time of possession, but you'll still need to prepare for it.

Well, if a shot clock is coming, which looks to now have the door open, they're going to have to adapt some. You're going to need players than can create in situations where the shot clock is running down. Yes, I know about the stats on the time of possession, but you'll still need to prepare for it.
I am sure the coaches will adapt. Just means shorter sets and more bad shots.

Boy

kinda loaded question bro, thats what im talking about with you. I mean I went to my daughters and sons games, plays, recitals for years from toddler age to teenage yrs and was entertained.
You brought up entertainment, not me......

That said, if you weren't entertained are you telling me you would not have attended your daughter's and son's events?
What do you think the jump rope kids at halftime( which are top notch) are there for, entertainment Quit the undertones
Those kids are amazing. The fact that you are entertained (I'm in awe) is a bonus to watching kids particiapate in events that they carry an interest in.

Bottom line is it is not the job of a teenager to entertain you. If you aren't entertained, don't go. If you don't like the offense some coach is running, either don't go or throw your hat into the ring and convince the AD that you have a better idea.

Shouldn’t that be the goal? Are we teaching students to be good teammates are good one on one players? Five players working simultaneously toward one goal is kinda what high school sports should be about, right?
You need both based on what the circumstance dictates. No one is saying running an offense is bad, but there are situations where you need to pivot when it's not producing scoring opportunities. Having more kids that can create offense is good basketball, not selfish play.

You brought up entertainment, not me......

That said, if you weren't entertained are you telling me you would not have attended your daughter's and son's events?

Those kids are amazing. The fact that you are entertained (I'm in awe) is a bonus to watching kids particiapate in events that they carry an interest in.

Bottom line is it is not the job of a teenager to entertain you. If you aren't entertained, don't go. If you don't like the offense some coach is running, either don't go or throw your hat into the ring and convince the AD that you have a better idea.
Ok last call, you brought it up,” you want to be entertained go watch nba or college “
I was simply joining a debate on a debate board. This is obviously way more personal for you. Sorry for getting you so emotional, I hope you meditate before you ref

You need both based on what the circumstance dictates. No one is saying running an offense is bad, but there are situations where you need to pivot when it's not producing scoring opportunities. Having more kids that can create offense is good basketball, not selfish play.
So a shot clock is going to make that pivot happen? Or maybe a coach saying "gee, this isn't working maybe we should try this instead"?

No it will force the coaches to put a system together that is effective and efficient no more holding the ball for two minutes because you don't believe your team can compete
You see, this is where I have the disconnect with the shot clock argument. If you don't feel like you can run with a team does not necessarily mean that you don't feel that you can compete with that team. I'm a STVM fan and the Irish play an up-tempo, pressure defense type of game. Some teams try to run with them, a lot of teams try to slow them down. I'm no fan of a team standing and holding the ball for 2 minutes. But, honestly, in the games I've watched STVM play, where you might expect teams to do just that, I just don't see that happening very often. I do see some teams hold it longer when the Irish go on a run. But, to me, that's the coach using the ploy basically as a "free" time out to try to break the run. Yes, it can be frustrating, but when it does happen, the Irish extend the defense and try to trap the ball to combat the slow-down offense.

Still, I see the shot clock as being inevitable. For those incidents highlighted in some of the posts, I can see it as being a benefit. From my point of view though, I'm thinking it really will have little to no impact on the high school games that I watch.