Is it time to get rid of Neutral site games in playoffs?

This thread is stupid. Anyone who thinks we should go back to playing on beat up grass fields for regional semi and regional championship games needs their head checked. Also, players, coaches, and fans all enjoy seeing and playing at the different stadiums that host these games. If the issue is not enough places willing to host then there's a very easy fix for that - put pressure on the OHSAA to pay the host sites enough to make it worth it.
BirdDog, I am having issues remembering but was it Grove vs Hardin Northern or Grove vs McComb some years back before turf at Donnel Stadium, that was a complete mud fest? I have been trying to find some pictures of that game but no luck

it absolutely doesn't and to suggest otherwise is being a loser. no winning coach has ever said "we overcame adversity tonight. their bus ride was 15 minutes shorter than ours, but we fought through it to grab the victory tonight."
For the 3rd time my suggestion was to have higher seed host until the semis. That puts meaning in seeding. Not having the lower seed essentially host in a stadium 5 minutes down the road. That is simply idiotic.

BirdDog, I am having issues remembering but was it Grove vs Hardin Northern or Grove vs McComb some years back before turf at Donnel Stadium, that was a complete mud fest? I have been trying to find some pictures of that game but no luck
I believe it was 2002 with Columbus Grove & Hardin Northern on a Sunday afternoon. Heavy snowfall on Friday across the state. Moved most of, if not not all games to Saturday & Sunday that weekend. If I remember correctly Findlay really only shoveled the 5 yard lines off & hash marks.
Kenton played Kettering Alter at Pique on Saturday Night. Pique used a 4x4 drove the snow off the field & peeled the crown off the middle. Used sawdust and straw I think to deal with the mud. Kenton still beat Alter with the 5 wide air attack.

For the 3rd time my suggestion was to have higher seed host until the semis. That puts meaning in seeding. Not having the lower seed essentially host in a stadium 5 minutes down the road. That is simply idiotic.
And if the higher seed has a sloppy mud field, or inadequate facilities?

I believe it was 2002 with Columbus Grove & Hardin Northern on a Sunday afternoon. Heavy snowfall on Friday across the state. Moved most of, if not not all games to Saturday & Sunday that weekend. If I remember correctly Findlay really only shoveled the 5 yard lines off & hash marks.
Kenton played Kettering Alter at Pique on Saturday Night. Pique used a 4x4 drove the snow off the field & peeled the crown off the middle. Used sawdust and straw I think to deal with the mud. Kenton still beat Alter with the 5 wide air attack.
Your memory is spot on. I went to that Hardin Northern- Grove game. Quite a weird feeling to be at a HS game on a Sunday afternoon.

Require the host to find an adequate field? It's not a gotcha question.
I think this is one reason why the OHSAA likes neutral sites. What kind of leverage would School A have in asking School B to use their facilities, workers, etc? And who determines what’s adequate? Then you’re back to the OHSAA getting involved.

Thank you!

You didn't suggest solution, but I suppose giving the teams playing an option of neutral or home team would address that scenario in which the schools are close. I suppose they could for whatever reason choose it even if not close.
They use a point system, similar to Harbins. However they also have district scheduling, no conferences.

I was reading an article a few weeks ago and it mentioned that in one state that the higher seed hosts until the state finals or semifinals can't remember which with the caveat that a team forfeits the right to host if they don't have lights, don't have a suitable playing surface, don't have adequate seating, don't have adequate facilities (including locker rooms, press box, scoreboard, etc). Then the lower seed is given the option to host with the same constraints. And if neither school has an adequate site the state makes arrangements for a neutral site and the schools split the costs to rent the neutral site.

No. This question creates a debate over something that likely will not change. Nor should it.
Michael Keaton No GIF

For the 3rd time my suggestion was to have higher seed host until the semis. That puts meaning in seeding. Not having the lower seed essentially host in a stadium 5 minutes down the road. That is simply idiotic.,
So your solution is to have one of the two teams that already has to travel a "significantly further" distance (your assessment) by traveling further to the home field of the opponent and the other team being required to travel further than their opponent had to travel? 🤷‍♂️

You may want to re-think that

So your solution is to have one of the two teams that already has to travel a "significantly further" distance (your assessment) by traveling further to the home field of the opponent and the other team being required to travel further than their opponent had to travel? 🤷‍♂️

You may want to re-think that
Rethink what? The home field advantage piece? Making seeding actually worth something? Having higher seed not have to go to the opposition's backyard for a "neutral" site? Saving money by having only one team travel?

I'm really confused why anyone would be opposed to any of this.

Last edited:
Grove vs. Hardin Northern State Semifinal 2002 - Grove had an unbelievably fast team, QB, RB's, Wide Receiver and several others from that team were on the track squad that won state later that spring. They were anticipating huge amounts of snow Saturday so they pushed the game back to Sunday, which just resulted in more snowfall through Saturday night and Sunday morning, so when they played the game Sunday afternoon there was half a foot of snow on the field. The snow was only shoveled off to see the yard lines and hash marks, so it was an absolute mess from start to finish. The snow/mud took away all of Grove's speed and played to Hardin Northern's strength, they ended up winning 20-0. It would have been a heck of a game on a clean field. The next year the state said that all semi-final games had to be played on turf, so obviously the rumor around town forever was that the Hardin Northern game caused the OHSAA to make that rule. It obviously wasn't the soul cause, but definitely contributed.

Anyway, anyone who thinks we should go back to that for more playoff games is an idiot. Games across Northwest Ohio last Saturday would have been a complete mess if they were played on beat up grass fields, instead you saw several great games because the turf took the field condition out of the equation.

This whole dumb argument is also relying on harbin points as the deciding factor in who gets to host - which is an awful idea. Neutral sites take away some of the "advantage" the flawed harbin points give to the higher seeds.

Rethink what? The home field advantage piece? Making seeding actually worth something? Having higher seed not have to go to the opposition's backyard for a "neutral" site? Saving money by having only one team travel?

I'm really confused why anyone would be opposed to any of this.
You complained about the long bus ride. Now you want to make the bus rides longer.

The teams have 11-12 weeks to play at home. (some playing 8 games at home total) Neutral sites for the Regional Semi's makes perfect sense.

You complained about the long bus ride. Now you want to make the bus rides longer.

The teams have 11-12 weeks to play at home. (some playing 8 games at home total) Neutral sites for the Regional Semi's makes perfect sense.
My point which you obviously didn't get was these neutral sights weren't actually neutral. Kings playing at Mason is a home game. Lakota West playing at Princeton is a home game. If we are going to have neutral sights, then have them actually be neutral.

This whole dumb argument is also relying on harbin points as the deciding factor in who gets to host - which is an awful idea. Neutral sites take away some of the "advantage" the flawed harbin points give to the higher seeds.
Here we go again with the whole "Harbins are flawed" argument. It is by-far the best way to determine playoff qualifiers and seeding because it takes away the human element.

So, you talk about taking away an advantage of hosting a game, yet teams pretty much get home games in regional finals as they are playing 5 minutes down the road. That's fair? Especially when they are the lower seed? What's the point of seeding then?

My point which you obviously didn't get was these neutral sights weren't actually neutral. Kings playing at Mason is a home game. Lakota West playing at Princeton is a home game. If we are going to have neutral sights, then have them actually be neutral.
And again.....

What site that's equidistant to both schools offered their facility?

The OHSAA has always made it clear in their tournament manager's manual that "neutral" does not mean the same travel. (impossible to pull off throughout the state) It's defined as either team playing more than half their home games at that site.

They also make it clear that equal travel is not in the mix. (again, impossible to execute) A shorter distance to travel does not make it a home game.

Here we go again with the whole "Harbins are flawed" argument. It is by-far the best way to determine playoff qualifiers and seeding because it takes away the human element.
There's countless of pages of comments on here, Twitter, Facebook, everywhere you look of people complaining about Harbin's every year, so whether or not you or I agree that they're the best system, your argument for home games later in the playoffs relies on a system that tons of people already do not like, to give teams a bigger advantage or disadvantage later in the playoffs. Before you even start to consider natural field conditions in mid-November, it's a dumb idea and it isn't happening any time soon.