Is it time for Cory Rawson to shut down it's football program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon6766

Hornets lost tonight against hapless Vanlue 48-0. CR was a once proud program, but unless it gets it's program together it is doing a disservice to all involved. maybe it is time to go to 8 man

Vanlue owes Cory at least a hundred more of these but, yeah, I'm sure there's a lot of nasty talk in Hornet Land tonight. They need to at least drop to 8 man and maybe just forget football altogether.

But in all seriousness, Cory Rawson is way too small to have both football and soccer. They have 57 boys in grades 9-11.

18 players wont get you very far.
One could argue that Cory Rawson (which, to be honest, I’d never even HEARD of, before this— I thought it was somebody‘s name) is WAY TOO SMALL to have a separate school district, let alone a separate HS, let alone a football team— in order to have what would usually be considered a minimum number of players for a football team (~30, given injuries, practice requirements, etc.)— more than HALF of all the boys in the school would have to choose to play football— that’s NOT a reasonable expectation for ANY school— regardless of whether there are a few places (e.g.- Marion Local, where the level of past success breeds in inordinate interest in being on the team) that do HAVE that level of participation...

There are ALWAYS going to be kids interested in OTHER things— so PLANNING on more than half the boys coming out for football is planning for the kind of uncompetitiveness that Cory Rawson is now exhibiting... why hasn’t Cory Rawson been absorbed into an an adjacent school district? Why is it necessary to have a separate district for SUCH a small number of kids?

One could argue that Cory Rawson (which, to be honest, I’d never even HEARD of, before this— I thought it was somebody‘s name) is WAY TOO SMALL to have a separate school district, let alone a separate HS, let alone a football team— in order to have what would usually be considered a minimum number of players for a football team (~30, given injuries, practice requirements, etc.)— more than HALF of all the boys in the school would have to choose to play football— that’s NOT a reasonable expectation for ANY school— regardless of whether there are a few places (e.g.- Marion Local, where the level of past success breeds in inordinate interest in being on the team) that do HAVE that level of participation...

There are ALWAYS going to be kids interested in OTHER things— so PLANNING on more than half the boys coming out for football is planning for the kind of uncompetitiveness that Cory Rawson is now exhibiting... why hasn’t Cory Rawson been absorbed into an an adjacent school district? Why is it necessary to have a separate district for SUCH a small number of kids?
I didnt bring that up because I thought I would get roasted but I agree completely that CR needs to consolidate. Question is with who? Arlington?

They already lose around 50 kids on average to Bluffton as it is cause one of the stupidest school district lines in all of Ohio. You can live in the village of Bluffton, but be in Cory-Rawson school district cause of county line road. Dumb! A lot people move east of Bluffton in Hancock County, but choose to enroll their kids into Bluffton, cause it's actually closer, and a lot of times they're Bluffton graduates. Too small of an enrollment to take so many fall sports. You don't need to have everything. Administration issue.

IF the COMMUNITY can FUND the school, WHY does it MATTER to YOU?
It certainly doesn’t MATTER to ME— I just asked a rhetorical question— seeking to understand why such a tiny school district still exists...

It is often noted in educational circles that Ohio’s school districts are highly inefficiently constructed— there are districts with FAR too few students to really offer a full and rich educational experience to their Students— things like AP classes, and sufficient students to “staff” a full range of extra-curriculars (like Mock Trial, or Model UN, or Quiz Bowl, or name your extracurricular of choice— or both Soccer AND Football)... we have several school districts right here in our urban metropolitan area that REALLY have no good reason to exist— they offer sub-standard academic achievement, limited class offerings, AND limited extra-curricular activity choices— but, inertia prevails— and UNTIL the district enters bankruptcy (which a couple have verged on, in the last decade), people don’t initiate any change— only fiscal insolvency seems to prompt a restructuring—even when all of the educational facts and data DO NOT support the district remaining independent.

But in all seriousness, Cory Rawson is way too small to have both football and soccer. They have 57 boys in grades 9-11.

18 players wont get you very far.

Well after last night 14 (which is what Vanlue has) gets you further than 18 apparently! IMO that will be Value's last ever win as an 11 man football team as 6 of the 14 players are seniors. I just can see anyway they will play 11 man next year with only 8 returning players. CR only has 4 seniors but 6 jrs so I think CR will find enough for 11 man next year but will be even more challenging the year after that.

Sounds like a similarly sized district to Tri-Village, Ft Loramie, Ft Recovery etc. Maybe football isn't popular for other reasons. I don't know the district so just surmising.

Sounds like a similarly sized district to Tri-Village, Ft Loramie, Ft Recovery etc. Maybe football isn't popular for other reasons. I don't know the district so just surmising.
CR is less than half the size of FR population wise. They are the same size as Bradford/Springfield CC/New Knoxville

Despite its size, Cory-Rawson has produced several very good athletes, including former all-state basketball and Bowling Green Univ. all conference star Joe Faine. Sometimes good things come from small packages...:)

I just don’t see how any public school with less than 80 boys 9-12 can pump out a competitive football program. I know a school like Lucas (marginally larger) does, but they have a great coach that built up a program with tremendous community support. For every Lucas, there’s a Crestline or Cory-Rawson... and they’re in spades.

I get where StateChamp is coming from with soccer, but I don’t think it really matters at a public. Football programs on the super-low side of enrollment, especially publics, are up against it every year with numbers. Is there really much of a difference between 18 players on a football team (counting freshmen) versus the same football roster of 23 with five kids otherwise playing football if not for soccer?

I know it sounds crazy to large school followers, but you don’t need that many kids to have a “success” Team, here is the rest of the league
LB 199
VB 150
Riverdale 134
McComb 95
NB 85
Arlington 79
Leipsic 75
Arcadia 74
CR 69
PG 65
Vanlue 37
Cory-Rawson is clearly smaller, but Leipsic has been producing quality teams, PG won the league two years ago and McComb was state champs that same year, so I would not say they are too small to have functional teams. Ironically CR was making the playoffs 15 years ago and one of the biggest school in the league 40 years ago Times change and small school have ebbs and flows, if they give kids a reason to stay in the district and not go to Bluffton, that would help a lot.

In a way, you answered your own question. Small communities prefer to make decisions regarding how to educate their own children. They don't want "outsiders" like you or me telling them what's best for them. There have been plenty of consolidations over the years that were essentially shotgun marriages where the powers that be hailed from 1 of the communities in the district, and it didn't go over well with the residents of the other community or communities in the district. Also, having its own school district contributes to an Individual community's identity in this part of the world. If the community is willing to cover above and beyond what the state will fund, and are willing to tailor the school's offerings to fit the student body, then where's the problem?

I just don’t see how any public school with less than 80 boys 9-12 can pump out a competitive football program.

Pandora-Gilboa, just 15 minutes down the road, does it year in and year out. Not too long ago Pandora tried their own experiment with boys soccer and instantly they started losing athletes from their football team. Luckily they got smart and scrapped the soccer program before football was too far downhill. Their last 4 years in football have been some of their most successful ever.

I didnt bring that up because I thought I would get roasted but I agree completely that CR needs to consolidate. Question is with who? Arlington?

I'll get roasted for this, since apparently county lines trump everything. But Pandora-Gilboa.

Vanlue/Arcadia is obvious, but I feel like CR/PG could field a pretty nice program.

Status
Not open for further replies.