Is D2 more powerful than D1 this year?

No but razor close. Esp. last year. Similarly 2 years ago I thought Hoban & WW were the 2 best teams. Several argued LaSalle was #1 before that.

D1 should thank Iggy for defending their honor Friday. :)

No. D1 is too deep with good teams. D2 may be just as strong or stronger at the top. Alot of this debate will be settled on the field in the coming weeks. But teams like Coffman, Fairfield, Mentor, Springfield, Colerain are all throughout D1. All D2 has is Hoban, Winton Woods, TCC and Massillon and they will have to wrestle with St. Ed, St. I, Elder, Pick Central, Witmer. D2 better at too, D1 better from top to bottom.

Let's just take a couple of hypothetical matchups from around the state. Who wins these games?
D2 Benedictine vs D1 Euclid
D2 Turpin vs D1 Colerain
D2 Avon vs D1 Olentangy Liberty
And these aren't what I would consider the elite teams this season

Total depth obviously Don. The question was top end. Example my semi bracket this year would be Hoban/Massillon/WW/LaSalle vs. Mentor/Ed/Iggy/PC. This year I'd lean D1 but that would be some exciting football.

A better question would be: Could any D2 teams win the D1 State Championship? And the answer would be an emphatic "No".Hoban wouldn't be deep enough to run the gauntlet of R1, easily the hardest region in the state. Massillon has never won a state championship, so scratch them. Hoban and Winton Woods are the only ones of their top 3 who is willing to schedule the top D1 teams like the Cleveland saints, St. x, Pick Central, Colerain, or Mentor.

WHERE CHAMPIONS ARE MADE AND SUCCESS IS TRADITION

Total depth obviously Don. The question was top end. Example my semi bracket this year would be Hoban/Massillon/WW/LaSalle vs. Mentor/Ed/Iggy/PC. This year I'd lean D1 but that would be some exciting football.
The question did not originate with you so who knows if he means top end or total. I said last season that it should be a D1 vs D2 challenge around the state with the regional champs from last season squaring off in week one. R1 vs R5, R2 vs R6, R3 vs R7, R4 vs R8. I can't say exactly whom those teams were but I do know R4 vs R8 would be Colerain vs Winton Woods and the Warriors would win.

With participation down as a whole for football I expect to see more parody between the divisions because the number of boys in a school is no longer a good indicator of success in football.

I expect to see less divisions over the next ten years as football becomes a less popular sport with parents.

To answer this question I would this is as even as I have ever seen it...

A better question would be: Could any D2 teams win the D1 State Championship? And the answer would be an emphatic "No".Hoban wouldn't be deep enough to run the gauntlet of R1, easily the hardest region in the state. Massillon has never won a state championship, so scratch them. Hoban and Winton Woods are the only ones of their top 3 who is willing to schedule the top D1 teams like the Cleveland saints, St. x, Pick Central, Colerain, or Mentor.

LOL!

The question did not originate with you so who knows if he means top end or total. I said last season that it should be a D1 vs D2 challenge around the state with the regional champs from last season squaring off in week one. R1 vs R5, R2 vs R6, R3 vs R7, R4 vs R8. I can't say exactly whom those teams were but I do know R4 vs R8 would be Colerain vs Winton Woods and the Warriors would win.

The question in post 1 differs from the thread title. The question from post 1 is:

D2 has some heavy hitters this year. Do you think the top 5/6 d2 teams could take the top 5/6 teams in d1?

So yes, we're talking top end only.

D2 has some heavy hitters this year. Do you think the top 5/6 d2 teams could take the top 5/6 teams in d1?

The answer is no. We got a glimpse of how it would go Friday with Hoban losing to Iggy. I think we can all agree that Hoban is the best team in D2 followed by WW & Massilon. My sense is that Saint Ignatius will make it to the Regional Finals/Semifinals in D1 but I wouldn't put them at the top of D1.

Now it's fair to say that it's tricky to compare across games so we shouldn't read that much into Hoban/Ignatius but given how much better Hoban appears to be compared to WW & Massilon the Iggy/Hoban game does help us answer your question.

As others have noted it's the grueling nature of a D1 playoff run that would trip up Hoban or any other D2 team. Think about last year where Hoban would have had to beat Mentor, St. Edwards & Colerain in consecutive weeks to claim a D1 title. They're good enough to win any single one of those games but three in a row?

Neither of our teams would qualify as having been near the top since the mid-naughts 13-14 years ago. You don't have the stones to schedule top teams in D2 let alone D1. Your biggest game before us is Barberton. And you have NEVER won a State Championship. If you have, name the team you beat to win the final.

JJBulldog,

What are you talking about? The author of this thread asked, “Is D-2 more Powerful than D-1 this year? Interesting question. You make your response an anti-Massillon post. We get it, you hate the Tigers. Unfortunately, you are going to be more disappointed as the season progresses.

Last edited:
I think Hoban leads the charge with this argument. If Hoban isn't as good as they are, that far ahead of other D2 schools, I don't think this question gets this type of debate. just my 2 cents...

No but razor close. Esp. last year. Similarly 2 years ago I thought Hoban & WW were the 2 best teams. Several argued LaSalle was #1 before that.

D1 should thank Iggy for defending their honor Friday. :)

I'd take the 2014 LaSalle team over any D1 team in Ohio that year for sure. What'd they end the year at? #4 overall I believe? That was the best high school football team I have ever seen in what was a really strong year for the GCL.

Hoban wouldn't stand a chance against that team, I have no doubt in my mind.

Its ridiculous to use a one point victory the Ignatius had over Hoban as a barometer to who is better. Whoever uses it as such is not very smart. In the coming weeks there are some matchups coming that might shed some light on this topic. St. Eds at Winton Woods and then Elder at Winton Woods. The challenge is to identify whom are the top D1 and D2 teams. I think its easiest to do it geographically and D2 seems a little clearer. Winton Woods in Southwest Ohio, Toledo Central Catholic in Northwest Ohio, Hoban in Northeast Ohio and Massillon out in Bizarro world.

Its ridiculous to use a one point victory the Ignatius had over Hoban as a barometer to who is better. Whoever uses it as such is not very smart. In the coming weeks there are some matchups coming that might shed some light on this topic. St. Eds at Winton Woods and then Elder at Winton Woods. The challenge is to identify whom are the top D1 and D2 teams. I think its easiest to do it geographically and D2 seems a little clearer. Winton Woods in Southwest Ohio, Toledo Central Catholic in Northwest Ohio, Hoban in Northeast Ohio and Massillon out in Bizarro world.

“Bizarro world”❓———41-20. (Real World)

It will go by region...In region 4 D1 there will be 3/4 teams make the playoffs that would lose to our top SW DII programs.
WW
LaSalle
Turpin
Kings
Maybe even Harrison...

JJBulldog,

What are you talking about? The author of this thread asked, “Is D-2 more Powerful than D-1 this year? Interesting question. You make your response an anti-Massillon post. We get it, you hate the Tigers. Unfortunately, you are going to be more disappointed as the season progresses.
You will be EXTREMELY disappointed (as usual) @ the end of it 0-48.