Ironton Independent in 2024

why would you be against it? all schools of similar size and competitiveness and in a reasonable geographic footprint.
It's not a dead issue. Could still very well happen. Ironton was taking some of the local talent via "recruit/transfers" So the ovc wanted them out in football. I think the local coaches are trying to promote their athletes more, so Ironton could struggle getting new transfers and may come back in OVC down the road, I heard they may re-evaluate that in three years.

why would you be against it? all schools of similar size and competitiveness and in a reasonable geographic footprint.
As far as geographically it does make sense, Waverly having played both Chillicothe and Miami Trace this past season and having played Jackson many years ago consistently. But they’d go from the “big” school in the SOC to one of the smaller in the FAC with Chillicothe/Jackson/Miami Trace/Washington all being D III. Waverly would struggle in most years just to be middle of the pack. I suppose I am stuck in my old ways of the SOC since we were a founding member then leaving for the SEOAL which was short lived and going right back.

as far as the SOC/OVC merger it will not happen. Waverly isn’t going to the FAC either i and surely many others associated with the program would be against that decision
Waverly wants in the FAC more than the FAC wants Waverly. Waverly only gets in if Unioto joins with them

As far as geographically it does make sense, Waverly having played both Chillicothe and Miami Trace this past season and having played Jackson many years ago consistently. But they’d go from the “big” school in the SOC to one of the smaller in the FAC with Chillicothe/Jackson/Miami Trace/Washington all being D III. Waverly would struggle in most years just to be middle of the pack. I suppose I am stuck in my old ways of the SOC since we were a founding member then leaving for the SEOAL which was short lived and going right back.
i think an 8 team league of all D3/fringe D3/D4 teams makes plenty of sense for Waverly. i think Waverly would be in the upper tier of the FAC 75% of the time- i would say that’s pretty good. the FAC adding Waverly/Unioto would be about as good of a league as it gets (geographically and competitively) in Southeast Ohio

you are probably stuck in your old ways, and that’s fine. i’m that way too. when my alma mater in Illinois switched conference alliances i wasn’t very happy, but it ended up being for the best. Waverly had simply just outgrown the SOC and would be better off heading north.

I am from Columbus and have visited Ironton on several occasions and I have, not that I am that important, found Ironton to be a very nice city. I remember a great farmers market. It seems like a big city in a smaller form.......Hartley, of whom I am a fan, used to play the Tigers. I wish those games would come back

I am from Columbus and have visited Ironton on several occasions and I have, not that I am that important, found Ironton to be a very nice city. I remember a great farmers market. It seems like a big city in a smaller form.......Hartley, of whom I am a fan, used to play the Tigers. I wish those games would come back
Now might be the time hopefully the 2 get into contact

Ironton born & bred here... Don't listen to Paladin. Ironton was a bit downtrodden a few years ago - but has bounced back with new businesses, hotels, etc.
And, most of their big scholarship dudes are from Ironton - Carrico to Ohio State, Carter to Cincinnati, Duncan to Miami. The transfers have helped, though - no doubt.

Pretty much all the river cities that relied on the steel industry and other manufacturing have experienced a huge loss of population. Ironton, Marietta, Steubenville, East Liverpool, Portsmouth etc.

FYI. The Ironton JV’s played the Massillon Washington JV’s in 2022.

I think Ironton and Massillon have now played two years in a row for JV. Fairly good games won by Massillon. Ironton doesn’t want that varsity smoke obviously even though they have played Moeller and I think another D1 Cincinnati school recently as well. The JV games against teams like Massillon should help the JV kids as a lot of the other JV teams in the Ironton area are not very good. For 2024 Ironton has scheduled Hartley and Cabell Midland (large WV class) and basically beefed up the schedule some. They do currently have 4 more kids with D1 offers so they should be competitive in most of those games. I think they’re figuring out that going into the playoffs with a 7-3 or 6-4 record against strong competition is better than starting the playoffs 10-0 or 9-1 against poor competition. Guess we’ll see.

I think Ironton and Massillon have now played two years in a row for JV. Fairly good games won by Massillon. Ironton doesn’t want that varsity smoke obviously even though they have played Moeller and I think another D1 Cincinnati school recently as well. The JV games against teams like Massillon should help the JV kids as a lot of the other JV teams in the Ironton area are not very good. For 2024 Ironton has scheduled Hartley and Cabell Midland (large WV class) and basically beefed up the schedule some. They do currently have 4 more kids with D1 offers so they should be competitive in most of those games. I think they’re figuring out that going into the playoffs with a 7-3 or 6-4 record against strong competition is better than starting the playoffs 10-0 or 9-1 against poor competition. Guess we’ll see.
Ironton is in D5 and Massillon is in D2. why in the world would Ironton schedule them? why would Massillon schedule Ironton? not to mention that is a 4 hour bus ride.

how in the world did those 2 play a JV game? 8 hours on a bus round trip for a JV event is absurd.

Ironton is in D5 and Massillon is in D2. why in the world would Ironton schedule them? why would Massillon schedule Ironton? not to mention that is a 4 hour bus ride.

how in the world did those 2 play a JV game? 8 hours on a bus round trip for a JV event is absurd.
Moeller went to Ironton in 2021 that’s a D1 traveling to D5 still a long drive on its own on a bus

Because they could I guess. Steubenville would be a nice addition to the varsity schedule for Ironton but that would be a horrible bus ride for either. Love to see Ironton get Ashland,KY and Huntington, WV back on the schedule. Several good Kentucky and WV options within an hour or two for Ironton. Two years ago the Ironton 8th grade team went undefeated and didn’t allow a point all season which should let you know why they’re reaching out for some competition. Local teams like Wheelersburg and Jackson are always competitive but that’s about it locally.

I could see the possibility of Massillon coming down to Ironton for the annual Classic. Last year Dematha, Springfield, Oh, Martinsburg, WV made appearances. Those would be nice games for Massillon, in particular Dematha.

Dover has been independent for about 3 years and it blows especially weeks 5-10 when everyone else is playing league games. We have virtually no visiting fans except our rival and Steubenville. Dover will be independent for 3 more seasons in football,maybe a Dover Ironton game can be arranged. Good Luck.

Went to Wheelersburg/ McNick game in the Fall. People were nice and friendly as can be. Nice, well maintained facility and the pregame celebration was as good as I’ve ever seen at a HS venue. Really small town America at its best.

Btw, McNicholas travels to Stuebenville in 2024. That’s almost to Pittsburgh where I grew up. I’m guessing it’s at least a 4 hour drive.

Last edited:
Because they could I guess. Steubenville would be a nice addition to the varsity schedule for Ironton but that would be a horrible bus ride for either. Love to see Ironton get Ashland,KY and Huntington, WV back on the schedule. Several good Kentucky and WV options within an hour or two for Ironton. Two years ago the Ironton 8th grade team went undefeated and didn’t allow a point all season which should let you know why they’re reaching out for some competition. Local teams like Wheelersburg and Jackson are always competitive but that’s about it locally.
As of today from what I’ve saw they’ve got Cabell-Midland AAAA from the Huntington Metro, and have Raceland KY, Johnson Central KY, and Pikeville KY. All of which are great out of state opponents. Including the two local teams you mentioned they also have Bishop Hartley and one of the states longest running games with Portsmouth still intact

Ironton vs Massillon is a total mismatch. Makes no sense for either team. I get more amazed each time I see small school power fans talking about playing elite D1 and D2 teams.
Tigers must have a better coach.Before the last couple years big red fan's always thought themselve's equal or better than Massillon in the past 40 years or so.Reno need's to get crackin.

Agree my Stallions used to play them regularly also. If you never been to Tank Memorial Stadium ( built in 1926 ) for a High School Football Game you are missing out on one of the great HS Football experiences that Ohio has to offer.
Do yourself a favor and catch a game there in late Sept. or early October. Hit the BWW's up the hill or the Dairy Queen closer to the Stadium and enjoy!

Do they still fire that darn civil war cannon whenever Ironton Scores? LOl

L
Tigers must have a better coach.Before the last couple years big red fan's always thought themselve's equal or better than Massillon in the past 40 years or so.Reno need's to get crackin.
Big Red fans never thought we were better than the tigers. The lopsided series record prohibits that line of thinking. That said we always embraced just having the opportunity to play them. And the Tigers of the last 5 years or so, are on a different level. In my estimation there are no more than 10 teams or so in the entire state that are equal to Massillon. We did have some success when the series restarted. I think we were 3-4 in a 7 game series back in 2009-2015. The first 6 games Massillon had a different coach. The last game was current Coach Moore’s 1st year. From his 2nd year on they have become elite. We don’t have the numbers or the athletes to go toe to toe with them anymore. I’ll say it again….. we know who we are and what we are not. The Big Red is an elite D3-4 program, we have had incredible playoff success winning over 70% of our playoff games. We have won championships in D2, D3 and D4. Where ever they put us we contend for titles nearly every year. We’re not Massillon, St Ed’s, Hoban etc. But we are The Big Red and we have a fabulous football program.

Last edited:
As of today from what I’ve saw they’ve got Cabell-Midland AAAA from the Huntington Metro, and have Raceland KY, Johnson Central KY, and Pikeville KY. All of which are great out of state opponents. Including the two local teams you mentioned they also have Bishop Hartley and one of the states longest running games with Portsmouth still intact
Yea. Schedule is much stronger. Like I stated earlier, 7-3 or 6-4 with the new schedule puts them in a better place than 10-0 with the old schedule come playoff time. Scheme and discipline have been problematic in recent years and needs to be improved but if their plan is to win another state title this is likely a step in the right direction. They don’t often look fully prepared or make in game adjustments well but kudos to the current staff for getting players noticed and providing some opportunities at all levels of college.