Ironman 2020 Officially Cancelled

jarhead2

I just received an e-mail from Corey Haddad saying this tournament is officially cancelled for 2020. I imagine that most all multi-team tournaments for the upcoming season could be in jeopardy if you read the Governors order. Dual meets here we come.

On behalf of the Walsh Jesuit Ironman Tournament Committee, we want to inform you of our decision to cancel this year's annual tournament, which would have been held on December 11th and 12th at Walsh Jesuit High School in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. #WeWillWrestleAgain

A lot of these kids are looking to wrestle in college and need events to showcase their talents. The loss of the State Tournament, Fargo, and now Iron Man gives them less opportunities to prove their worth. I don't want to hear anyone's crap about the "Covid" and protecting others... I am just saying it sucks for these kids. I wish it would have been held with just the schools that could have come, even if just Ohio schools. These kids are anxious to get some matches.

A lot of these kids are looking to wrestle in college and need events to showcase their talents. The loss of the State Tournament, Fargo, and now Iron Man gives them less opportunities to prove their worth. I don't want to hear anyone's crap about the "Covid" and protecting others... I am just saying it sucks for these kids. I wish it would have been held with just the schools that could have come, even if just Ohio schools. These kids are anxious to get some matches.
Amen. It really sucks for kids who are just off the national rankings radar list. They may be just as good or better than more recognized kids and won’t have as much opportunity to show it. It’s a terrible situation for them...

To the kids needing a chance to showcase their talents. There are a lot of big national duals and tournaments going on right now. If you can travel go showcase that talent get on the road. Who knows what kind of modified season we will have so if your child is looking to wrestle in college they may want to start looking at attending these duals and tournaments. I just hope Super 32 doesn’t cancel cause that will be your next biggest and best showcase tournament. Philly Columbus Day duals in few weeks will be best duals to try to attend.

While it is sad to see Iron Man canceled it does not mean there is no hope for the rest of the state. I would be willing to bet this tournament was canceled because of the nightmare that would occur if contact tracing had to be done. Iron Man brought people from almost every state in the US. Social Distancing would have been nearly impossible. I think that if this was a team with Ohio only schools it would not have gotten canceled so quickly. I would be willing to guess that the OHSAA will probably limit or outright say no out of state competition for winter sports if they haven't already. I still believe their are ways we can have both dual and tri matches as well as conduct tournaments safely IF the OHSAA and coaches are willing to work together to do it.

While it is sad to see Iron Man canceled it does not mean there is no hope for the rest of the state. I would be willing to bet this tournament was canceled because of the nightmare that would occur if contact tracing had to be done. Iron Man brought people from almost every state in the US. Social Distancing would have been nearly impossible. I think that if this was a team with Ohio only schools it would not have gotten canceled so quickly. I would be willing to guess that the OHSAA will probably limit or outright say no out of state competition for winter sports if they haven't already. I still believe their are ways we can have both dual and tri matches as well as conduct tournaments safely IF the OHSAA and coaches are willing to work together to do it.
I agree and hope OHSAA is open to it.

Looks like the Grappler Fall Classic that is usually in Battlecreek MI is being held in Myrtle Beach this year on 10/3 and 4. Used to use it as a tune up for Super32.

Reactions: SCC
Not surprised. I don't think you'll see any large tournaments in Ohio this year. It sucks but I just hope they find a way to allow kids an opportunity. there's going to be a bunch of guidelines. We probably won't like them. But the only way to have wrestling will be for us all to follow.

I'm really worried about what will happen to youth programs. Most use the schools wrestling rooms for practices and such. A lot aren't opening their buildings to outside organizations. Youth programs would fall under outside organization

It doesnt look good for wrestling tournaments this year. The only thing I could think of is maybe someone like brecksville can get access to testing and be able to pull off a tournament within the "standards"

It doesnt look good for wrestling tournaments this year. The only thing I could think of is maybe someone like brecksville can get access to testing and be able to pull off a tournament within the "standards"

No tournaments have the funds to prolly test all the participants

the problem with the tournament is that the gyms will be over the 15% capacity . I dont see how this number will work for tournaments .
my gym can hold 1500 . so that is 150 fans now ..

Reactions: SCC
the problem with the tournament is that the gyms will be over the 15% capacity . I dont see how this number will work for tournaments .
my gym can hold 1500 . so that is 150 fans now ..

And added risk. If you have 16 teams gather in a single place, and 3 days later a participant tests positive, that's 15 other teams that need to go into isolation.

If you limit it to dual events, w/ 6 teams max, then you risk far fewer teams at any one time.