Inter Valley Athletic Conference

Being an electronic packrat has its perks. Malvern's headcounts for grades 9-11 taken in October of each year listed:
2008: 88 boys, 85 girls
2010: 98 boys, 85 girls
2012: 73 boys, 75 girls
2014: 60 boys, 77 girls
2016: 76 boys, 76 girls
2018: 86 boys, 68 girls

This post intrigued me so I went out to the ODE website to see if I could find future enrollment data. They don't have it broken down by boys & girls but here is total enrollment for each of the IVC schools for the current 5th-8th grades.

IVC.jpg

This post intrigued me so I went out to the ODE website to see if I could find future enrollment data. They don't have it broken down by boys & girls but here is total enrollment for each of the IVC schools for the current 5th-8th grades.

View attachment 14880
I should be more than used to it, but it took me a second to remember that Brown Local is Malvern. A few questions arise:
Who's projected to grow?
Who's projected to decline?
Who generally gets hammered and who benefits from open enrollment?
How many of those East Holmes kids might be Amish who don't go to school past 8th grade?

I know this is off your current subject but I noticed Dover will be at IV for week 3. Not sure what IV has coming back. Dover is pretty well stacked.

I know this is off your current subject but I noticed Dover will be at IV for week 3. Not sure what IV has coming back. Dover is pretty well stacked.

Hopefully we're back to normalcy because this could be a great fan packed HS football game. IV had their struggles last year, but they should be better this year. I wasnt sure what all dover had back other than Monk and Hall, but sounds like they will be good.

Scheduling Purposes

With 7 teams being involved that means you will need 7 weeks to get 6 games in because each IVC North member will need an open week. That open week could be week 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10. So if you drew the week 3 or 4 bye it's really not a big deal. When you get to weeks 6 thru 10, it will be much harder for teams to find games. It is my understanding that several teams want to wait until an even amount of teams are in the league.

Week 1 - Non League
Week 2 - Non League
Week 3 - IVC North or Open
Week 4 - IVC North or Open
Week 5 - IVC Cross Divisional Week
Week 6 - IVC North or Open
Week 7 - IVC North or Open
Week 8 - IVC North or Open
Week 9 - IVC North or Open
Week 10 - IVC North or Open

That makes sense. Of course, if you invited Conotton Valley and then pulled in Sandy Valley (they want to be in the North) or Tusky Valley (probably needs to be in the North) you would have 8 teams and your own league. You wouldn't need to worry about anything else.

Sandy Valley
Buckeye Triail
East Canton
Newcomerstown
Malvern
Strasburg
Conotton Valley
TCC

There is your league.

That makes sense. Of course, if you invited Conotton Valley and then pulled in Sandy Valley (they want to be in the North) or Tusky Valley (probably needs to be in the North) you would have 8 teams and your own league. You wouldn't need to worry about anything else.

Sandy Valley
Buckeye Triail
East Canton
Newcomerstown
Malvern
Strasburg
Conotton Valley
TCC

There is your league.
if the south hadn't backed off on the crossovers that league would have happened

if the south hadn't backed off on the crossovers that league would have happened

It should still happen. Right now you have five division games plus 2 crossovers. That's 7 games. You eliminate a crossover and you are down to 6 so suddenly most of the North schools have a week to fill since they don't want to play the South,

Make this league happen and you have 7 league games every year and nothing to fill except weeks 1-3.

Also, as long as the divisions are split on size winning the IVC North is kind of like kissing your sister. Just make a clean break and be your own league. Once again, what is the downside to breaking away? There is none.

I agree, I hope this league happens! Although I have no idea why Sandy would want in this league. they have made the jump football wise and dominated in wrestling this year, they would be extremely big enrollment wise. Adding buckeye Trail and Nct but not ridgewood and garaway makes no sense. They are all four the same size and actually closer travel wise, nct is really bad right now, which seems like what this side is looking for, but it would be competitive I believe except for sandy, who I think would dominate this league.
Btw not having hiland would really hurt this league.

I agree, I hope this league happens! Although I have no idea why Sandy would want in this league. they have made the jump football wise and dominated in wrestling this year, they would be extremely big enrollment wise. Adding buckeye Trail and Nct but not ridgewood and garaway makes no sense. They are all four the same size and actually closer travel wise, nct is really bad right now, which seems like what this side is looking for, but it would be competitive I believe except for sandy, who I think would dominate this league.
Btw not having hiland would really hurt this league.

First of all I would have never changed the original IVC. That was a league that had stood the test of time and I wish it would've stayed as it was.

What's done is done now and you can't go back. It's funny though that some of the same teams that were pushing for the change in the first place still don't seem to be happy. If it was up to me the league would stay exactly as it is. The only problem with the league was the placement of Sandy Valley and now that has been solved. Even if you add Conotton Valley to the North and a mystery team to the South I would still keep two crossovers. Crossovers are great. Local teams playing local teams is great.

Apparently the North schools aren't happy and they likely won't be happy even after they get their way with just one crossover. Just make a clean break instead of trying to make something work that you aren't happy with. I'm just saying going to this league eliminates all of the problems the IVC North has.

#1 - Don't want crossover because you can't compete - If you go to this league there are no crossovers and the only big school you have to play is Sandy Valley and East Canton and Malvern want to play them anyways. Sure SV is bigger, but historically I don't think any of the small schools are worried about playing them. The Cam Blair era probably isn't going to be replicated.

#2 - If you only add Conotton Valley you have a 7-team league and the scheduling issues pointed out earlier occur. If you add Conotton and Sandy you eliminate those issues.

#3 - If things stay as is and you eliminate one crossover who are you going to play in week 4? The PAC, Wayne County League, etc are all in league play. Most North teams won't be playing South teams because if you wanted to play them you wouldn't have gotten rid of crossovers. The South teams will have the same problem. So now you will likely have 8-10 IVC teams looking for a game in week 4 each season with no local opponents to play. That means IVC fans will either be driving an hour or more or hosting some team they have no connection to all so a few North teams can feel better about themselves by playing a weaker opponent.

It just makes a lot more sense for the North teams to just form their own league if they aren't going to play crossovers. You would have 7 football games locked in and 14 basketball, volleyball, baseball game locked in. Who in the North would say no to this?

Last edited:
How about removing Indian Valley and Claymont and get on with the league.

Obviously Indian Valley and Claymont are not a size fit for the league. It really makes no sense that they were admitted. But eliminating them doesn't really solve any problems.

#1 - Without Indian Valley and Claymont you are now a 10-team football league. How would you schedule that? 9 conference games and one non-conference? I would like that but I don't see that happening. It would be cool though.

#2 - Adding Hiland you now have a 11-team league for other sports. How do you schedule that? Home and home gives you 20 league games. That's no good. Round-robin gives you only 10 league games and I'm pretty sure the IVC ADs aren't going to be looking to schedule 12 non league game each year.

Hiland doesn't travel well to the north, what exactly do they add to the league?
no football is a downer

why panic? CV waiting in wings - why doesn't the league put a committee to review any schools would would want to apply - expansion committee.
if a school or two to the south wanted to join then this whole argument would be void. South is aligning to be a D4-5 league. The north aligns to be a 6-7. IV and Claymont are just 4s, if the D6-7 schools are expected to play crossovers with the south, then how can anyone say boot IV and Claymont because they are too big? The D5s just have to play up one division, where the D7s could be potentially playing up 2-3 divisions.
Leave as is until you have some interest of others joining.

If teams arent going to play each other, then its not a league. some dont want crossovers in football, no one wants to play hiland girls bb, it used to be no one wanted to wrestle claymont, who wants to play strasburg in girls softball? East Canton Track? All the schools have something to bring, thats why it was a great league. Indian Valley and Claymont do not fit number wise with Nct, Rgewood, garaway and Sandy and trail. I dont know if it can be fixed. Malvern,TCC, Strasburg and Conotton do not fit with either.

I see what you are saying tiger, and I can't argue that.

If Malvern TCC Strasburg and CV don't fit, ok they go off to make a league. Well EC and SV due to travel would probably join them. Now the league sits at Ridge Clay IV TV Hiland Newc BT Garaway - thats 8 but hiland doesn't have football so the league still would be looking for an 8th member.

or, just put an expansion committee together and see if West Holmes or Cambridge wants in for the south. Adding one of them and CV puts league at 14 football schools. On a different thread someone mentioned the Buckeye League on shaky ground. Cambridge and Harrison Central would be great additions and now the south has 8 4 D4 and 4 D5
That would be a great division.

I do fear a split and teams leaving to build a new league would hurt some schools, just not sure who. And Claymont and IV would then be valuable.

I do not see a scenario where they are the only two left out.

Cambridge is joining the Buckeye Eight with baseball season this month. Harrison Central agreed to join the North Division so Cambridge could join the South Division. You had your chance with HC the last few years when they were considering a move. Don't see that changing now.

I see what you are saying tiger, and I can't argue that.

If Malvern TCC Strasburg and CV don't fit, ok they go off to make a league. Well EC and SV due to travel would probably join them. Now the league sits at Ridge Clay IV TV Hiland Newc BT Garaway - thats 8 but hiland doesn't have football so the league still would be looking for an 8th member.

or, just put an expansion committee together and see if West Holmes or Cambridge wants in for the south. Adding one of them and CV puts league at 14 football schools. On a different thread someone mentioned the Buckeye League on shaky ground. Cambridge and Harrison Central would be great additions and now the south has 8 4 D4 and 4 D5
That would be a great division.

Why would Buckeye Trail stay with the South schools? They are in the North.

Rereading Threecountiesonetown - seems like they all were pushing for no crossovers and settled for one to keep the league together?

The loudest pushers from the North were Malvern, TCC and Strasburg. They did not want to play Garaway or Ridgewood. It probably isn't a lot of fun knowing that those are games you could never win. Also, why are they expected to play up two divisions. That's crazy. What's more crazy why would schools want to play down two divisions? Simple recycled points.

Buckeye Trail did not push, knowing they are the biggest school in the North.

Newcomerstown didn't push as they are just happy to be out of the south.

I can't honestly say how East Canton felt because I do not know that answer.

This is the problem that is not going away. In two years you will hear the same thing from Ridgewood and Garaway about playing IV and claymont, bc they will be two divisions bigger. And everyone else will be D6 or D7 besides those two and Sandy

I dont see the movement of divisions that is anticipated - after watching the ICL and TCL and all their new leagues and the anticipation of certain schools to be too big and to move down...it just never happened.

My advice to Garaway and Ridgewood, keep IV and Claymont close, because I don't think they fit in with the north schools if there is a split.

The loudest pushers from the North were Malvern, TCC and Strasburg. They did not want to play Garaway or Ridgewood. It probably isn't a lot of fun knowing that those are games you could never win. Also, why are they expected to play up two divisions. That's crazy. What's more crazy why would schools want to play down two divisions? Simple recycled points.

Buckeye Trail did not push, knowing they are the biggest school in the North.

Newcomerstown didn't push as they are just happy to be out of the south.

I can't honestly say how East Canton felt because I do not know that answer.

But they are OK playing Sandy Valley & Tusky Valley? Apparently it's not the size of the school but more the quality of the program they are bothered by?

Cambridge is joining the Buckeye Eight with baseball season this month. Harrison Central agreed to join the North Division so Cambridge could join the South Division. You had your chance with HC the last few years when they were considering a move. Don't see that changing now.
Strange to switch leagues before the end of a school year.

Just wondering why Ridgewood and Garaway dont fit with the schools they have been with for 50 years? What are you basing this on? How do they not fit but Newcomerstown and trail do? Ridgewood and Garaway have been predominately division 6, and up until just recently TV was always d5. Teams move quite often. But TV, wood, Garaway, SV, Trail and newcomerstown are always the same size in basketball, volleyball, baseball. wrestling and usually track. Football is the only difference bc of the seven divisions

I am not for this, but it maybe a solution:
Conotton
Malvern
strasburg
East Canton
Tcc
Sandy Valley( although I do not know why they would do this but people seem to think they would) Maybe Newc until they get their program running again,but then they would be too big.

other league
Indian Valley
claymont
Ridgewood
Newcomerstown
Garaway
buckeye Trail
Tusky Valley
Hiland