Inter Valley Athletic Conference

I would be a huge fan if the IVC completely eliminated divisions and based their schedule off of a results based formula similar to what the MAC does. Why even be in the same league if you never play each other? That makes no sense at all.

So in the example below the schools are divided into four tiers based on the number of IVC wins over the last two seasons. I made this example prior to the 2020 season so the tiers would change a bit but you get the basic idea. These tier would be updated annually.

The scheduling formula would be that you play 8 IVC games that would include the other two teams within your tier and then you play all three teams in two other tiers. The tiers are assigned so that the top three programs over the last two seasons do not play the bottom three programs over the last two seasons.

Theoretically, this would make it so the top programs all get to play each other (providing better competition) and the bottom programs all get to play each other (providing them a chance to build their programs). As your program has more success you build up to higher tiers and your schedule gets tougher.

So for example, this is how the tiers would have been like for the 2020 season based off IVC wins over the 2018 & 2019 season.

Tier One (Plays Tier Two and Tier Three)
  1. Ridgewood - 13
  2. Indian Valley - 12
  3. Sandy Valley - 12
Tier Two (Plays Tier One and Tier Four)
  1. Garaway - 10
  2. Buckeye Trail - 8
  3. East Canton - 8
Tier Three (Plays Tier One and Tier Four)
  1. TCC - 6
  2. Tusky Valley - 5
  3. Malvern - 5
Tier Four (Plays Tier Two and Tier Three)
  1. Newcomerstown - 3
  2. Claymont - 1
  3. Strasburg - 0
Schedules - 8 Games (2 in your tier + 6 based on standings)

Ridgewood (4,5,6,7,8,9) - Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern
Indian Valley (4,5,6,7,8,9) - Ridgewood, Sandy Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern
Sandy Valley (4,5,6,7,8,9) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern
Garaway - (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Buckeye Trail - (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Garaway, East Canton, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
East Canton - (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Garaway, Buckeye Trail, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
TCC (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Tusky Valley (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, TCC, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Malvern (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12) - Ridgewood, Indian Valley, Sandy Valley, TCC, Tusky Valley, Newcomerstown, Claymont, Strasburg
Newcomerstown (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Claymont, Strasburg
Claymont (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Strasburg
Strasburg (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - Garaway, Buckeye Trail, East Canton, TCC, Tusky Valley, Malvern, Newcomerstown, Claymont

You can all look at your team's schedule based on the idea and see what you would think of it. I feel like in most cases the schedule would be better than it is now or at worse the same. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure the same concept could be refined and made better but this was just a starting point I came up with based on MAC scheduling.

Maybe I'll mess around with it at some point and come up with a schedule based on six 2-team tiers and a 7-game league schedule which is what the IVC has right now.

so what would be the motivation of EC TCC Mal Stras Newc BT to not separate, and add CV and invite SV at this point?

3 counties, you have a lot of details seems day of meetings - you must be connected to an AD to one of the schools.

Only school I can think of that lies in 3 counties is Minerva. Most regular IVC posters have been quiet - I don't doubt your info just wondering where are you getting such juicy news?

3 counties, you have a lot of details seems day of meetings - you must be connected to an AD to one of the schools.

Only school I can think of that lies in 3 counties is Minerva. Most regular IVC posters have been quiet - I don't doubt your info just wondering where are you getting such juicy news?
why would Malvern or how can they compete with the wood IV or SV when when they have 20 to 25 players on their team against 60-70 players yes they will play Sandy because they're natural rivals but asking them to play 2 and 3 divisions up for 30 percent of the schedule is crazy and I gaurentee it won't happen

why would Malvern or how can they compete with the wood IV or SV when when they have 20 to 25 players on their team against 60-70 players yes they will play Sandy because they're natural rivals but asking them to play 2 and 3 divisions up for 30 percent of the schedule is crazy and I gaurentee it won't happen

Why wouldn't Malvern want to play those teams? You are DVII. If you can go 6-4 or 7-3 you are in the playoffs and then your kids have gotten the experience of playing bigger and better teams. That's a win-win situation.

Here's the reality of the IVC. If you take away Indian Valley and Claymont the IVC is basically identical to the MAC in terms of enrollment figures with member schools and Malvern is almost in the same exact place as Marion Local and New Bremen. Being at a numbers disadvantage in their league certainly hasn't stopped those programs from becoming state championship teams.
Untitled-1.jpg

You are right on the town, it is a great place to visit.

Most information has came from Sandy Springs Brewing Co., if it isn't public knowledge then it must be second hand information.

I watch IVC football 4-5 weeks a year, especially if New Philadelphia and Dover are both on the road. I enjoy the small school feel of it. I know that you have the best commissioner you could ever want.

Follow the lead by that guy and the league will continue to get better, it has only gotten better and better since Don took over.

IMO only way to save it or make it better is to get to 16 schools or as close as they can. the two crossovers were a thorn in the side of the league since it started. Seems if the South schools weren't so vehement to have mandatory crossovers there wouldn't be talk of a split. I would demand Hiland get football or kick rocks - but that is just me. Simple get rid of the crossovers, everyone finds their own 4&5 - however some of the crossovers would still happen just not mandatory. Who would it hurt, same competitive theory could apply, IV Ridgewood, and maybe garaway would sweat the 4&5 games but look at how they could upgrade their schedule to have better competition than the crossovers were giving them.

IMO only way to save it or make it better is to get to 16 schools or as close as they can. the two crossovers were a thorn in the side of the league since it started. Seems if the South schools weren't so vehement to have mandatory crossovers there wouldn't be talk of a split. I would demand Hiland get football or kick rocks - but that is just me. Simple get rid of the crossovers, everyone finds their own 4&5 - however some of the crossovers would still happen just not mandatory. Who would it hurt, same competitive theory could apply, IV Ridgewood, and maybe garaway would sweat the 4&5 games but look at how they could upgrade their schedule to have better competition than the crossovers were giving them.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you are in the league shouldn't you play the other teams in your league? What is the point of having a league if you never play each other? That doesn't really make much sense to me. Just spilt and go your separate ways if you never want to play each other.

Just to play devil's advocate, if you are in the league shouldn't you play the other teams in your league? What is the point of having a league if you never play each other? That doesn't really make much sense to me. Just spilt and go your separate ways if you never want to play each other.

Multiple divisions pretty much work as multiple leagues under the same banner. Handy in case a school or schools experience rapid growth or decline (quickly redraw divisions) or if a few schools leave. Instead of scrambling, a 12 team league can just go on as an 8 or 10 instead of dropping to 4 or 6.

Multiple divisions pretty much work as multiple leagues under the same banner. Handy in case a school or schools experience rapid growth or decline (quickly redraw divisions) or if a few schools leave. Instead of scrambling, a 12 team league can just go on as an 8 or 10 instead of dropping to 4 or 6.
It's also helpful for scheduling officials (see: assigners) and for minor sports. We have multiple sports, like girls soccer and boys & girls tennis, that play the schools in the other division of the league for a conference schedule since schools in our part don't support the sports.

The only problem that "kind of" comes with super-leagues are the issues of geography as they keep expanding the footprints by adding new teams.

invitational sports and volley basket and base ball sports have 20-30 games to fill
multi division leagues serve those sports

its obvious this all seems to be stemming from football scheduling.
two crossover games in football worth losing the league as a whole? maybe it is, who is to guess or say but those schools that do

New information coming early 2021.

From things I heard over the holiday, I do not anticipate the league splitting up. I do anticipate a few changes. And yes all are football related. Colvins league is not realistic for any school.

Hearing there was a meeting today, do not have any details. Should have decent information while drinking coffee in the morning.

The meeting today was referred to as "productive".

1. 1 cross divisional game starting in 2022

2. Conottton Valley will give the North an odd amount of games but will be welcomed.

3. No new league.

The issues with the league are not issues in the plural sense, there is only 1 issue. lets call a spade a spade. No one is against playing schools cross conference in any sport other than football. I personally understand why schools with lower enrollments dont want to play schools with higher enrollment, for football requires more than 10-15 kids to play. Yet I havent heard of lower enrollment schools not wanting to play Sandy Valley(168 boys, slightly larger enrollment than Ridgewood and Garaway) or even larger Claymont (238 boys, largest enrollment in league). Why is that? Rumor was Sandy was going to join the North if they left to form new league.

As a Ridgewood fan, Im fine with no mandatory crossovers and allowing schools to play who they desire. Will be tough to schedule when programs are winning, yet that doesnt last forever in schools/programs with 200 boys or under. Ridgewood will have its time as a lower tier team in this league. Its inevitable. Newcomerstown was an elite IVC team in the late 90's early 2000's. As was Malvern in the 2000's. Strasburg has had its share of success in football as well in the 2000's.

Ridgewood for exmaple has 79 boys more than Malvern, when Ridgewood is good, thats tough on Malvern. No question about it. Yet I watched Malvern come within a debatable 2 pt conversion play from beating the Wood at home in 2009. Arguably Woods best team(Think this years was better, but thats just my opinion) So its not impossible.
In comparison Indian Valley has 57 more boys than Ridgewood. Yet everyone is fine with Ridgewood, Garaway, Tusky Valley playing IV. The time is coming where it will be difficult for those schools to compete with IV when they are really good. Curious to see if league fights to get IV off their schedule when that time arises. Although it seems like not happening in near future, but what about when/if Claymont becomes successful? They are 73 boys bigger(Same difference between Malvern/Wood). Will they be taken off the football schedule for all schools except IV?

I want to be clear that im supporting limiting or doing away with crossovers. It could be beneficial for bothsides. The IVC is a good/competitive league. Im personally glad differences aside the league is moving forward. Its good for our local kids across the board, which is what high school athletics is all about. There are programs that have been dominant in their respective sports throughout the history of the league. IE: Hiland Girls Basketball/Strasburg Softball/Hiland Baseball/East Canton Track/Claymont wrestling.

Football is different is what this situation is telling us.

The expansion of the playoffs to 12 teams should help schools and their scheduling. You can still schedule the crossover game or another county opponent who might be traditionally better than you and get to go against good competition without the fear of not making the playoffs. IV plays Dover this year and next and those should be good games for the county and for both programs. The IVC is a great league because there are natural rivals within a close proximity. Just a thought from a legendś beard........

I think the league is a great league and wish it could appease everyone, the truth is the league should be great for the middle seven teams who are all right around each other enrollment wise. I understand why Malvern, strasburg and TCC have a problem and I also understand why claymont and Indian Valley dont fit. Asking Ridgewood, Garaway, sandy, nct, trail, TV and EC to play those schools is also tough. But where do those two schools go? I believe Indian Valley will dominate this league in just about every boy sport in the next eight years.

Casually reading - the above graph states 12 in now and adding another leaves them 3 away from the 8 and 8.
Just reads as much todo about nothing if they added a couple more.

The issues with the league are not issues in the plural sense, there is only 1 issue. lets call a spade a spade. No one is against playing schools cross conference in any sport other than football. I personally understand why schools with lower enrollments dont want to play schools with higher enrollment, for football requires more than 10-15 kids to play. Yet I havent heard of lower enrollment schools not wanting to play Sandy Valley(168 boys, slightly larger enrollment than Ridgewood and Garaway) or even larger Claymont (238 boys, largest enrollment in league). Why is that? Rumor was Sandy was going to join the North if they left to form new league.

As a Ridgewood fan, Im fine with no mandatory crossovers and allowing schools to play who they desire. Will be tough to schedule when programs are winning, yet that doesnt last forever in schools/programs with 200 boys or under. Ridgewood will have its time as a lower tier team in this league. Its inevitable. Newcomerstown was an elite IVC team in the late 90's early 2000's. As was Malvern in the 2000's. Strasburg has had its share of success in football as well in the 2000's.

Ridgewood for exmaple has 79 boys more than Malvern, when Ridgewood is good, thats tough on Malvern. No question about it. Yet I watched Malvern come within a debatable 2 pt conversion play from beating the Wood at home in 2009. Arguably Woods best team(Think this years was better, but thats just my opinion) So its not impossible.
In comparison Indian Valley has 57 more boys than Ridgewood. Yet everyone is fine with Ridgewood, Garaway, Tusky Valley playing IV. The time is coming where it will be difficult for those schools to compete with IV when they are really good. Curious to see if league fights to get IV off their schedule when that time arises. Although it seems like not happening in near future, but what about when/if Claymont becomes successful? They are 73 boys bigger(Same difference between Malvern/Wood). Will they be taken off the football schedule for all schools except IV?

I want to be clear that im supporting limiting or doing away with crossovers. It could be beneficial for bothsides. The IVC is a good/competitive league. Im personally glad differences aside the league is moving forward. Its good for our local kids across the board, which is what high school athletics is all about. There are programs that have been dominant in their respective sports throughout the history of the league. IE: Hiland Girls Basketball/Strasburg Softball/Hiland Baseball/East Canton Track/Claymont wrestling.

Football is different is what this situation is telling us.
just to let you know Mallvern's teams in the 07 thru 12 had over 40 players on them they are lucky to suit up 25 the last couple of years thats a 37% drop and HE WAS IN

Has Malverns enrollment dropped that much from that time period. It really was a great game! As recently as 2012 Malvern beat Ridgewood 32-7

I think it would be really tough to add schools to this league. you would need to add at least two more for the small schools and at least 4 for the big. sandy, garaway, Ridgewood, Nct, Trail and Tusky Valley are all the same size. Not sure about East Canton, They would be 50 boys smaller than the biggest School Sandy and about 80 boys bigger than TCC. These schools would all basically be D6 and a great league. Malvern, TCC, conotton and Strasburg would all be D7 and really need at least Two D7 schools. Indian Valley and Claymont would still be 50 to 60 boys bigger than the biggest school Sandy Valley. I think in two years buckeye Trail will be bigger than Sandy, Ridgewood and Garaway, Which will cause problems in the lower division, Im not sure East canton will be interested in playing in a D7 league.

Last edited:
as I look back on Joeeitel

EC bounces back and forth from D6-7
Ridgewood is D5
Why would there need to be 6 schools added? IVC has 12, and Conotton wants in - they would only need to add 3 to get to 16, 8-8????
Saying a school that is 6 or 7 year to year wouldn't want to play in a D7 league but Ridgewood and Garaway are doing all they can to continue to have crossovers with D6&7 schools when they are D5 is crazy talk. Hiland needs to get football - now you are only looking for 2, I would boot them if they don't get football.
If the league is separated D4&5, and D6&7 then it seems to work out fine.

Get rid of the forced crossovers and let them play if they choose. Who wants to see Indian Valley play Strasburg? Or Ridgewood play TCC?
Both Ridgewood and Indian Valley have received quite a few "transfers" from neighboring districts last couple years. Those two schools should definitely beef up schedules if this practice continues.

On joe eitel it says Ridgewood was D5 starting in 2015, Garaway has only been D5 a few times, and that is because they have the highest number of transfers in the conference, which adds to the competitive balance. I am not sure on the rest of the league on competitive balance, someone could post. Tusky just went D6 for the first time in 2018 or 19? I do agree that TCC should not be playing all these schools, especially Sandy, Ridgewood, Tusky and Trail, nct. Remember this Ridgewood has there down cycles too, and its coming again, they only had 15 kids on a combined Jr. high team last year. Tcc used to roll every school in this league besides IV and Claymont, who weren't in at the time. Those six schools in the middle are all within 30 boys of each other, that is very unique in any league in Ohio, and east Canton is only 40 boys smaller than Sandy, also very close for any league. The real discrepency is between the bottom 3 and the top 2, East canton beat Ridgewood by 50 at the wood 4 years ago and would have beat any team in the league, Hiland rolls most every team in the league regardless of size, East Canton beats every team in track. Strasburg girls roll every team in softball.

all I know is there was a side convo amongst schools - they don't like the crossovers - and they were prepared to do something about it - only schools caring about keeping hiland are hilands neighbors. A new league would have stuck 6 schools hiland being one, and ridgewood being another.

and no one would have felt bad about it. again, Hiland should get football, add CV and now you sit at 14 and only need 2 more schools to get to 16

Funny how the narrative is painted vs factual information. Here is the 2020-2021 Competitive balance numbers(Open Enrollment and Transfers) for all schools in the conference.

TCC-42 *Obviously a private school going to have high competitive balance number

Garaway-18
Sandy Valley-9
Indian Valley-8
Newcomerstown-7
Malvern-7
East Canton-6
Buckeye Trail-6
Tusky Valley-5
Strasburg-4
Ridgewood-4
Claymont-4

Funny how the narrative is painted vs factual information. Here is the 2020-2021 Competitive balance numbers(Open Enrollment and Transfers) for all schools in the conference.

TCC-42 *Obviously a private school going to have high competitive balance number

Garaway-18
Sandy Valley-9
Indian Valley-8
Newcomerstown-7
Malvern-7
East Canton-6
Buckeye Trail-6
Tusky Valley-5
Strasburg-4
Ridgewood-4
Claymont-4

But Ridgewood gets all the transfers?! Pollo de goma dos where did you find these "facts"? No way this is publicly available and verifiable to lay people like the rest of us on here.