Inspirational Thoughts

BobcatBomber

I'm creating this thread to channel inspiration words into one place. It could be words of encouragement, a meaningful passage from scripture, or just a great story you've heard that celebrates the good and power of positive thinking and doing.

You may also use this space to ask others for encouragement.

We never know the entire story of people around us...even our closest friends. Just kind words or a similar story may empower someone to turn things around during sad or dark times.

This will be a safe place. I don't post much anymore, but I read often, and I will heavily police the comments on this thread. No negativity. Lighthearted joking/laughing is fine as long as it's not at the expense of another poster or their words. I'll push Yappi for stiff recourse to those who belittle the intent of this thread.

That being said, I hope to see lots of participation from past, present and future Yappi users.

Have a wonderful day!

I challenge each of you to step outside of your comfort zone today.

Compliment a co-worker. Help the elderly at the grocery store. Pay it forward while getting your drive-thru coffee. Anything. Pay particular attention to how it makes you feel to extend positivity into someone else's life.

every year for my birthday my parents get me something with the words "Believe" inscribed on it. My first one was on my 7th birthday, after going through some surgeries they didn't think I'd make it through, was a small wooden black bear with the word Believe carved in wood between it's hands.

That's really cool. I know we joke with bcf a lot, but I couldn't begin to imagine going through his fight with cancer. Hopefully he continues to fight and will pull through this latest hurdle.

Pretty damn corny thread, BCB. I will bite, though.

I try to live in the moment as best I can. This is a very literal idea -- even while just driving to work in the morning, take in the houses, yards, etc. around me and give no thought to what I will be doing at work that day or that week, or next week, etc. Good way to stay happy and not always be stressed.

I try to live in the moment as best I can. This is a very literal idea -- even while just driving to work in the morning, take in the houses, yards, etc. around me and give no thought to what I will be doing at work that day or that week, or next week, etc. Good way to stay happy and not always be stressed.

I like it, I've been trying to do this more too.

Word.

I follow a similar strategy broken down into "be in the room that you are in" combined with "the journey is the reward"

... of course I break that rule daily by visiting yappi while I should be present in real life

I deserve good things, I am entitled to my share of happiness. I refuse to beat myself up. I am an attractive person. I am fun to be with.

But today, I've decided to take a risk, and wear a new sweater. It was sent to me by a recovering sex addict, Melissa D., who knitted it herself; she said it gave her something to do with her hands.

One of my personal favorites that I find myself using a lot is "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" from E. Roosevelt.

It's a good teaching point for kids, especially teenagers. It helps them understand that they are the only ones in charge of how their emotions, and encourages them to own their thoughts/words.

working in healthcare, I look death in the face everyday...this is a bible scripture I live by "John 11:25-26"...this is also a quote from an unknown source I live by "never look down on someone unless you are helping them up"...even when patients treat me terribly, I still give them the help and care they need and deserve. I always have to remind the younger generation to treat patients like they would want their parents to be treated...they do stuff sometimes that make me wanna punch them in the face!!!! Something my parents have been telling me for years that I now tell my 15yo son-"no matter how bad you think your life is, someone has it 10x worse than you"

Why is the Lion the "King of the Jungle"?

He's not the biggest and strongest - that would be the Elephant.

He's not the tallest - that would be the Giraffe.

He's not the fastest - that would be the Cheetah.

The Lion is the King of the Jungle for one reason and one reason only ... He KNOWS he's the King of the Jungle.

I like it, I've been trying to do this more too.

Word.

I follow a similar strategy broken down into "be in the room that you are in" combined with "the journey is the reward"

... of course I break that rule daily by visiting yappi while I should be present in real life

You guys should look into reading about eastern philosophy, specifically Zen Buddhism and Daosim, and even more specifically, Alan Watts.

Reading and listening to Alan Watts has been a fundamental part in completely changing how I view the world.

This bit taken from one of his lectures sums up well what you guys are talking about I think:

This is one of my personal favorites. I try and keep this one in mind at all times:

garciasmilesmilesmile.jpg

"Reflection"

I have come curiously close to the end, down
Beneath my self-indulgent pitiful hole,
Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

It's calling me...

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping
The moon tells me a secret - my confidant
As full and bright as I am
This light is not my own and
A million light reflections pass over me

Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting

And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason...
before we pine away.

<Tool>

Motivational stuff doesn't do much for more. I worked for two guys who liked handing out books and showing videos and I found it all pretty worthless.

I do have a photo I took of the Shawshank Redemption tree that's down the road from Malabar Farm. I turned it into a poster with the "Hope is a good thing ..." quote from the movie printed on it. Virtually every guy who walks into my office notices and makes a comment.