Indoor track season 2012 so far

been out of the loop so far, but i'm back ready to start talking.............

so, about 3 weeks into the indoor season, hard to tell if anyone has really dominated...

there seems to be a lot more meets around, but thanks to milesplit, we can get some results rather quickly...

Can anyone enlighten us on the cleveland public schools track dilema, last i read, no spring track, but does indoor get affected, too?

teams i have not seen results for yet: trotwood, mason, centerville..... hoping to see them here soon.

i guess we'll see more in weeks to come, if anyone wants to comment, please feel free to...............

The Cleveland Public have solved their budget problems and are they are up and running....things do seem a little slow so far...IMO the State Indoor Meet is so close to the first outdoor meet that it seems to have lost some of its luster... I know that cannot be helped....

The Cleveland Public have solved their budget problems and are they are up and running....things do seem a little slow so far...IMO the State Indoor Meet is so close to the first outdoor meet that it seems to have lost some of its luster... I know that cannot be helped....

I am not a fan of an indoor state championship, but why can that not be helped?

There are indoor meets every week in February and the first week of March. It seems to me that the meet could be held prior to nationals if the powers that be wanted it to be so. Other states (Md, VA, NJ, etc.) that do have indoor state championships do them in February. Regional championships involving several states are held the first weekend in March.

Why does the OATCCC need to delay two more weeks to hold their championship?

I agree with madman that having the state indoor meet two weeks earlier than it is now makes all the sense in the world - it completes the state indoor "season" prior to the official start of outdoor practice, and would be a natural precursor for those athletes planning to compete at Nationals the following week(as opposed to being almost anti-climactic as it is now).

I do understand the scheduling logistics and working around current host Akron's collegiate schedule. However, Kent(also a 300m track ideal for fast times) does traditionally host a high school meet on that first week of March, and unless there's some reason why the state meet has to be held at Akron, I don't see why discussions couldn't be held with Kent to move state to their facility that weekend if Akron is unavailable.

I agree with madman that having the state indoor meet two weeks earlier than it is now makes all the sense in the world - it completes the state indoor "season" prior to the official start of outdoor practice, and would be a natural precursor for those athletes planning to compete at Nationals the following week(as opposed to being almost anti-climactic as it is now).

I do understand the scheduling logistics and working around current host Akron's collegiate schedule. However, Kent(also a 300m track ideal for fast times) does traditionally host a high school meet on that first week of March, and unless there's some reason why the state meet has to be held at Akron, I don't see why discussions couldn't be held with Kent to move state to their facility that weekend if Akron is unavailable.

Akron is a better spectator facility and can hold thousands more.

I wouldnt go so far as to say Akron holds thousands more - their seating capacity is 1200, and unlike Kent they do not allow anyone not competing on the infield.

A nice, 200m, spectator-friendly faciltiy is NEEDED in SW OHIO!!!

The problem with the 280-300m ovals is that marks made on them (other than the 55/60 and field events) are not eligible for any national records. Those big, generous curves make it more like an outdoor facility with a box over it.

Good guess bud, but nope.

They must clear out the stands between divisions because of the number of spectators there, so yes they do get more than 1200. There are additional stands set for the shot and high jump. Athletes are in the infield or the team camp area. Unless Kent has re-done their track it is not 300 meters, close, but not 300.

They must clear out the stands between divisions because of the number of spectators there, so yes they do get more than 1200. There are additional stands set for the shot and high jump. Athletes are in the infield or the team camp area. Unless Kent has re-done their track it is not 300 meters, close, but not 300.

Kent's facility (from their website) is a 292 meter, 6-lane, FTX Mondo surface. Opened in 1990.

Akron's is a 300 meter, 6-lane facility. Opened in 2007.

What about the Spire(Gareat)? It is a brand new 300 meter track that holds 5,000!! I agree that the meet needs to be moved up to not carry over into the outdoor season.

I don't think many would argue Spire is the finest indoor T&F facility in Ohio. The problem is holding the meet there adds another hour onto the trip north for teams coming from the central and southern parts of the state.

I don't think many would argue Spire is the finest indoor T&F facility in Ohio. The problem is holding the meet there adds another hour onto the trip north for teams coming from the central and southern parts of the state.

YA too far to drive that day for a meet:/

I too wish it would be moved up!!

I agree, the state indoor meet is too close to the outdoor season. But, for me, the first outdoor meet (or 2) have lost luster for me. Outdoor track in late March can be wickedly cold. There's not much worse than wearing several layers of clothes and being out in the cold for 5 hours. I don't take the indoor season very seriously but 65 degrees and no wind isn't too bad!