Incoming Hughes freshman Rayvon Griffith

Moeller gives out plenty of stuff to certain kids . . . one parent actually sent an email to coaches and other parents asking who was going to pay for her son's state championship ring ($400) bc she wasn't going to. 100% positive that kid will get a ring paid for by Moeller.

Nice

jtk
()

It's like he's trolling with these comments lol...

"It was pretty tough; I cried about it," Wise said. "Coach (Steve) Gentry and coach Reggie Revels have meant a lot to me. It's probably the best coaching staff I've ever had. I cried that I had to leave them. It was very tough. You have to live in the district to go to school; that's the rules. I no longer live in the district."

Moeller gives out plenty of stuff to certain kids . . . one parent actually sent an email to coaches and other parents asking who was going to pay for her son's state championship ring ($400) bc she wasn't going to. 100% positive that kid will get a ring paid for by Moeller.

Wow, what a huge scandal Gopher.

I hope the young men survive all of this without any serious issues. It appears they have a lot of people in their heads trying to manipulate where they play basketball during their teen age years. Best of luck to them but it's a shame that even before starting high school someone has them playing a lot of musical chairs.

Because it isn't about school at all, and anyone on this board is smart enough to know what is going on. Why was Mark Mitchell in the picture with Rayvon and Demarco? It saddens me to no end to think that someone is getting a pay off in High School, but it happens and it sickens me!

It is my opinion, that student-athletes should have to be enrolled in a school before they participate with a team (in any sport) in the Summer. I know what the rule is, I guess I didn't make it clear in my first post that it was my opinion.
Mark Mitchell is an assistant coach at Taft. That's why he's in the picture. Why do you assume the worst in these situations? Maybe Rayvon got to Hughes and didn't like the staff after all. Who is getting this payoff? Who is making the payment?

Sit because he changed his mind about the school he wants to attend? Maybe he realized during the summer Hughes was not the right fit. He didn't take any classes, why should he have to sit?

Sit for basketball because he changed his mind about the school he wants to attend for basketball...so, yes?? He didn't realize Hughes was not the right fit for him for school because like you said, he didn't take any classes yet. But he had been playing basketball with them, in their gym, for their coaches when he decided it wasn't the right fit. Agreed, OHSAA can solve this real quick by mandating (thought it was already mandated actually) that you cannot participate in any school sponsored athletic program (meaning held at the school and run by a school coach, employee, or student) without first being officially enrolled at the school. Then regular transfer rules apply to everyone.

No, he still holding out for a better offer,school is not important! Think he really is at Taft but what does that mean?
Why so negative, kids do this all the time. The reason people gets so worked up is because he is such a prospect. Why shouldn't he be able to give a school a test run in the summer before he decides?

Why so negative, kids do this all the time. The reason people gets so worked up is because he is such a prospect. Why shouldn't he be able to give a school a test run in the summer before he decides?

Not negative, just giving an honest opinion. He gave Hughes High School a test run during the Summer? What classes was he taking?

Not negative, just giving an honest opinion. He gave Hughes High School a test run during the Summer? What classes was he taking?
Sorry, actually meant that more for taximama. To answer your question, he's a big time Hooper, so basketball is a huge (probably the biggest for him) factor. Why should he have to take classes first? My guess is that your right, that bigger offers will come and he should do whatever works for him. Kinda sad how many people question others decisions when it probably happens at their school quite often. My guess is because people's feelings get hurt when 5 star athletes don't chose their school

Sorry, actually meant that more for taximama. To answer your question, he's a big time Hooper, so basketball is a huge (probably the biggest for him) factor. Why should he have to take classes first? My guess is that your right, that bigger offers will come and he should do whatever works for him. Kinda sad how many people question others decisions when it probably happens at their school quite often. My guess is because people's feelings get hurt when 5 star athletes don't chose their school

I’m well aware of who he is and what sport he plays. No problem with him doing what’s best for him. Playing summer leagues/camps with a School though is not giving the School a test run,it’s giving the School Team a test run not the actual School. To be honest if the young man and his family were really serious about Education and Basketball he would be going to Walnut Hills over any other CPS.

I’m well aware of who he is and what sport he plays. No problem with him doing what’s best for him. Playing summer leagues/camps with a School though is not giving the School a test run,it’s giving the School Team a test run not the actual School. To be honest if the young man and his family were really serious about Education and Basketball he would be going to Walnut Hills over any other CPS.
I kinda see your point, if he was an upperclassmen, but there are numerous kids in the summer after 8th grade playing basketball for school names who don't end up playing for that school. You might be right, but just because he changed his mind before he ever even started high doesn't mean a kid isn't serious about education. That kid is a crazy talent and you better believe the best fit for him in basketball is a top priority, if he was my son it would be equivalent to education.

I kinda see your point, if he was an upperclassmen, but there are numerous kids in the summer after 8th grade playing basketball for school names who don't end up playing for that school. You might be right, but just because he changed his mind before he ever even started high doesn't mean a kid isn't serious about education. That kid is a crazy talent and you better believe the best fit for him in basketball is a top priority, if he was my son it would be equivalent to education.

Never said he didn’t take his education serious, I said it was probably not as important as the best offer Basketball wise. Meaning education not top priority for this young man and his family. You agree that basketball for this kid should come first, I believe education should come first.

Never said he didn’t take his education serious, I said it was probably not as important as the best offer Basketball wise. Meaning education not top priority for this young man and his family. You agree that basketball for this kid should come first, I believe education should come first.
You did say if he and his family were serious? Go read it, you tried to dress it up by saying young man and his family.

You did say if he and his family were serious? Go read it, you tried to dress it up by saying young man and his family.

I said if they were really serious about education, he would go to WH. He may be a Scholar but if anyone is really serious about education they do not switch schools without ever trying a School. SCHOOL, not Basketball or football or Chess. I value education, others don’t.

I said if they were really serious about education, he would go to WH. He may be a Scholar but if anyone is really serious about education they do not switch schools without ever trying a School. SCHOOL, not Basketball or football or Chess. I value education, others don’t.
I guess I simply get irritated when people comment on a kid and his family when they don't know the countless variables that could be in play for him and his family. Maybe you do, but I'm guessing most people commenting on here with their little digs and slights about him, don't know him, his family, his friends, his siblings, his residence, his financial situation, his relationship with faculty at either school, his relationship with the coaches, his relationship with teammates etc etc etc. By the way, do you know that he didn't check out his curriculum, meet his to be teachers, take summer classes, then make a decision?

I have met the young man twice and he was nothing but a great young man. The second time i met him he was volunteering at the Kelsey Mitchell camp. Its easy to judge those we dont know. Seems to me he is a great young man & it takes a good family support that development.

Mark Wise (another mitchell camp volunteer) also donated his time. I do not understand why people want to judge/attack young men and their families for trying to do whats best for them. Im 90-100% sure the people judging were never in the position of opportunity these young men are. Ive been the "aau guy" and the "head varsity coach guy" and now the father of a gifted child guy. Do not judge theseyoung men as they find their way